Filing a STAR

Scott, I may be too late, but no way will they take a fliiver to SPI and down the STAR. They'll flatten you to below 4,000 at 30 n. of the VORTAC and put you in below the wedding cake.

Been there many, many times.

Scott, I may be too late, but no way will they take a fliiver to SPI and down the STAR. They'll flatten you to below 4,000 at 30 n. of the VORTAC and put you in below the wedding cake.

Been there many, many times.
Good to know Bruce. For the flight I was looking for ways to make it easy on me and ATC. What type of routing into STL should I expect coming from the north? Will they just punt and fit me in? So should I just file direct?

As I said in my original post, no it is not. It is always the same, CHiApp starts me on a 180 heading up to 3000, then they will RV to the direction they want.

CHiApp doesn't issue clearances from MSN, DBQ, or RFD. I suggest you take the time to actually read what you're responding to.

Just clear west of C90 airspace at about BULLZ, they send you toward RFD and then send you direct. SPI approach at 7000; at the handoff to STL App they drop you down to 4K about 20 S of Jacksonville, IL.

If you want to stop for lunch one way or the other (weekend) give me a ring, I'll PM you the number....

Doesn't diversion come after filing?

Usually it does -- I should have been more clear that this was the rare -- though not impossible -- case when you are flying to a place where you may not have had time to acquire a full TPP, but have the requisite IAP, but not the STAR (you printed them at the FBO, for example).

BULLZ intersection is what the do now, anyway....!

Precisely what they did with the T-routes around CVG. AOPA hyped it, but the T-route did nothing but codify the common practice.

It's somewhat gratifying to see CVG get hit with substantial airline cutbacks and ATC not having enough to do.

Usually it does -- I should have been more clear that this was the rare -- though not impossible -- case when you are flying to a place where you may not have had time to acquire a full TPP, but have the requisite IAP, but not the STAR (you printed them at the FBO, for example).

Why not print the STAR as well?

CHiApp doesn't issue clearances from MSN, DBQ, or RFD. I suggest you take the time to actually read what you're responding to.
I did but since we were talking about clearances from my home airport I only assumed that you had mistyped your response and were in fact talking about those places as destinations. If what you meant was what you typed then I can only add that your statement made no sense in the context of the discussion that was taking place at the time between Kent and myself.

I did but since we were talking about clearances from my home airport I only assumed that you had mistyped your response and were in fact talking about those places as destinations. If what you meant was what you typed then I can only add that your statement made no sense in the context of the discussion that was taking place at the time between Kent and myself.

We weren't talking about clearances from just your home airport. The question was asked by flyingcheesehead, not by me, and it did make sense. Take the time to read and understand before you respond.

We weren't talking about clearances from just your home airport. The question was asked by flyingcheesehead, not by me, and it did make sense. Take the time to read and understand before you respond.
I'll type slow so that you can understand.

My home airport is outside of the Class Bravo and I always get the same clearance it is never to KELSI. Kent mentioned in his post several airports and a BIG ETC if you read. My airport is part of the ETCs airports away from Chicago. I am right at the border of Chi-App, RFD's airspace and Milwaukee's. Yet Chi-App always has be fly south, further into their airspace. I would presume it is because the hand off would have to happen pretty quick and this way they set me up for an orderly transistion. It would seem that if their intent was to keep everyone away they would send me quickly away instead of further into their area of control. Therefore Kent's postulation may not hold entirely true.

Capice?

If you were unsure you could have asked a reasonable question.

Or are you just going to start arguing again like we see all too often?

Last edited:
Precisely what they did with the T-routes around CVG. AOPA hyped it, but the T-route did nothing but codify the common practice.

It's somewhat gratifying to see CVG get hit with substantial airline cutbacks and ATC not having enough to do.
Same thing at STL. They used only to allow GA over the top at 16,000. 8,000 transit is now possible. Unbeerevable!

Same thing at STL. They used only to allow GA over the top at 16,000. 8,000 transit is now possible. Unbeerevable!
Unfortunately (fortunately? depends on your outlook), DL is about to enter an agreement with the Metropolitan Airports Council, the governmental entity that runs MSP, to operate 400 flights a day out of MSP. The MSP class B is already a bit of a pain to deal with, but it is possible to go through rather than under or over...I suspect that's about to change.

Uh, Scott... I've gotta go with Steven on this one. What he said made a lot more sense than what you did, even within the context of our conversation:

KELSI is 3 miles form my home airport and I still have never been assigned KELSI.

OK, we start with KELSI and you say you've never gotten it.

No it's not, unless you're based at KVYS. You're right by KRENA and FARMM. Lots and lots of ORD arrivals coming through there.

The purpose of KELSI is to keep you from ever getting into C90 airspace. Since you're already *IN* C90 airspace, there's no point to them giving you KELSI.

Next time you're flying from somewhere away from Chicago (like MSN, DBQ, RFD, etc.) and going to someplace on the other side of Chicago (FWA, LAF, etc.) see what you get. ;)

I say WHY you haven't gotten it: It's for keeping people out of C90 airspace. You're already in C90 airspace, so there's no point in giving it to you.

Does not matter what direction my destination is, my clearance is always that same. Cleared to xyz, 3000 feet expect 1234feet 10 minutes after departure, upone entering controlled airspace heading of 180. I have even got this heading IFR to the north, where it made no sense to start me out going straight to the south. They then turned me east twards ORD and then north, got me in the conga line to the badger VOR. If I head out west the still give me the same clearence but then start sending me towards POLO. If I can leave VFR I will wait until I hit RFD's airspce and get my clearence from them.

This part is largely irrelevant, though interesting. If you read my previous post I was saying that if you fly FROM somewhere "away from chicago" (I should have said outside C90 airspace) TO somewhere "away from chicago" (same, outside C90's domain), VIA a route that would take you through any part of C90 airspace, KELSI (or sometimes the nearby SHOOF) will be part of your route.

But if you're flying from somewhere else, such as MSN, DBQ, RFD, etc., your clearance will probably be different.

Like Steven said: Fly from one of those other places, and your clearance will be different than it is at 10C.

As I said in my original post, no it is not. It is always the same, CHiApp starts me on a 180 heading up to 3000, then they will RV to the direction they want.

And this is the point where you either misunderstood what I said, or decided you wanted to pick a fight with Steven, or both. :dunno:

I'm afraid I have to agree this time.

We *started* talking about clearances from your home airport, and I told you why you didn't get KELSI, and suggested that if you fly from... Well, I said it twice already. (Specifically NOT your home airport as you state above.)

Again, gotta go with Steven on this one, Scott. Flying from "MSN, DBQ, RFD, etc." (that's four)

I'll tyupe slow so that oyu can understand.

Apparently, not slow enough. ;) ;) Hell, you're typing too fast for your spell checker to keep up! :rofl:

My home airport is outside of the Class Bravo and I always get the same clearance it is never to KELSI. Kent mentioned in his post several airports and a BIG ETC if you read. My airport is part of the ETCs airports away from Chicago. I am right at the border of Chi-App, RFD's airspace and Milwaukee's.

Yes, you are outside the Bravo. No, you are NOT outside C90 airspace. You may be "at the border" but the A/FD entry for your home field clearly says that it is controlled by Chicago Approach/Departure on 120.55.

Yet Chi-App always has be fly south, further into their airspace. I would presume it is because the hand off would have to happen pretty quick and this way they set me up for an orderly transistion. It would seem that if their intent was to keep everyone away they would send me quickly away instead of further into their area of control. Therefore Kent's postulation may not hold entirely true.

Capice?

If you were unsure you could have asked a reasonable question.

Or are you just going to start arguing again like we see all too often?

Scott, it appears in this particular instance that you are the one who started the argument - Steven clearly understood what I was trying to communicate. Maybe I was not clear enough, as your statement about being outside the Bravo seems to indicate. When I said "away from Chicago" I should have specifically stated "Outside C90 airspace" (which is NOT the same as "outside the Chicago class B", and I thought I implied very strongly in the previous paragraph that that's what I meant - I did use the words "in C90 airspace" even). But Steven clearly understood what I meant, and said what I'd have said if I'd have gotten here first: The fact that IFR departures from your airport call C90 on 120.55 is what makes the difference.

You mentioned departing VFR and picking up your clearance from RFD. They don't tell you to fly heading 180, etc. right? Thus, the point is made that the clearance you receive from a different facility is going to...

But if you're flying from somewhere else, such as MSN, DBQ, RFD, etc., your clearance will probably be different.

... Uhh, yeah, that. :yes: ;)

I think what you think away from Chicago means is something different than those of us who live 40 miles away from the city think it to mean. You probably think that I am a Chicagoan, I know when people ask me where I live and I am away from this are I just say Chicago. But I am not anywhere near the city. I am way out in the ex-urbs. I am actually about the same distance to Rockford as I am to Chicago. It takes me about the same amount of time to go to Madison as it does to got into downtown Chicago (thanks to traffic). That does not even count my airport which is even further away from Chicago and well outside of the bravo rings. So when you say "away from Chicago", my airport is really away from Chicago.

Now as I pointed out I am right ont he hairy edge of Chi-app airspace, yet when I get a clearence they turn me to bring me more into the airspace, they could easily just have me head west or north and get out of their hair for a lot of departures. That is all I was saying.

And I was not picking a fight with Steve, but I do tend to disregard anything he says based on previous observations of his posts on this and other boards. I had him on ignore until today based on his previous postings and fights he was having with what seemed to be everyone else on the board. Based on that I perceived him to be trying to pick a fight with me. Indeed when I explained why I answered him as such he decided to retort with an aggressive response instead of possibly explaining why he perceived you question differently.

Last edited:
Why not just call the TRACON and talk to a manager. Explain your operational question and ask why you get a certain thing when you are expecting something else from your clearance. They are more than happy to help you figure out how to work with the flow of things when utilizing the ATC system. That should clear up matters for you on this one.

Also, if you haven't tried i tyet, fltplan.com is a good resource, and its free. If you haven't used it before, the flight planning option is pretty informative. It will show you what the last several flights with your departure and destination have filed as well as any ATC preferred routes if available.

I think what you think away from Chicago means is something different than those of us who live 40 miles away from the city think it to mean. You probably think that I am a Chicagoan, I know when people ask me where I live and I am away from this are I just say Chicago. But I am not anywhere near the city. I am way out in the ex-urbs. I am actually about the same distance to Rockford as I am to Chicago. It takes me about the same amount of time to go to Madison as it does to got into downtown Chicago (thanks to traffic). That does not even count my airport which is even further away from Chicago and well outside of the bravo rings. So when you say "away from Chicago", my airport is really away from Chicago.

To clarify for about the fourth time...

The purpose of KELSI is to keep you from ever getting into C90 airspace. Since you're already *IN* C90 airspace, there's no point to them giving you KELSI.

Next time you're flying from somewhere away from Chicago (like MSN, DBQ, RFD, etc.) and going to someplace on the other side of Chicago (FWA, LAF, etc.) see what you get. ;)

I had thought that pointing out that you were "*IN* C90 airspace" and also gave examples "like MSN, DBQ, RFD" would make it reasonably clear that "away from Chicago" meant "away from Chicago TRACON." Apparently I was incorrect, so, to clarify, what I meant was "outside airspace controlled by C90."

Sheesh. :rolleyes:

I had thought that pointing out that you were "*IN* C90 airspace" and also gave examples "like MSN, DBQ, RFD" would make it reasonably clear that "away from Chicago" meant "away from Chicago TRACON." Apparently I was incorrect, so, to clarify, what I meant was "outside airspace controlled by C90."

I found it to be perfectly clear.

Why not just call the TRACON and talk to a manager. Explain your operational question and ask why you get a certain thing when you are expecting something else from your clearance. They are more than happy to help you figure out how to work with the flow of things when utilizing the ATC system. That should clear up matters for you on this one.
Been there, done that. Austin TRACON insist on issuing the DP the computer kicks out. Direct doesn't mean a thing. In our case yesterday, the transition was the exact VOR we wanted to fly direct to begin with so no loss in the end.

Other times, I want to take a student up and have them fly airways from intersection to intersection, preferably in IMC. Getting a clearance as filed is impossible. All you can hope for is an approach controller who understands what you're trying to accomplish and clears you for the request.

Ok I did the flight today.

I filed 10c to SPI to KSTL

I departed and got my clearence

Cleared to KSTL, RV RBS, VLA.VLA6, then a heading of 1800 and 3000 MSL (Standard 10C departure)

Before I even got close to RBS they cleared me direct KSTL, which BTW took me right over the top of SPI.

As I got close to KSTL about 40 miles away my clearance was then changed to the STL VOR and to expect visual to 12L. At 2 minutes away from STL I still had not gotten anything further so I called app and said that I was 2min from clearence limit, he told me to just hold my heading and then 3 minutes later cleared me to a heading of 150 and to intercept the localizer for IL12L. There was some low scud and I had set up the ILS to have it ready, a 737 ahead of me had mentioned that ther ewas low scud and he could not see the field.

We grabbed the localizer and when we got the glidslope there were a few light bumps possibly wake turbulance. I came down the glideslope one dot higher than center to avoid the wake turbulance. I kept speed at 120 until 2 miles out then slowed to 100. I aimed for a spot past where the 737 landed, pulled all the flaps and landed and made the turn off right in front of Signature.

Piece of cake!!

Nice Work ! Thanks for following up to this thread with the results.

Back