File request

TRC1969

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
TRC
How quickly can I expect my FAA medical file to be sent to the Neuro Cog examiner?

3 days (if he/she is part of the "huddle for government" system.....) is my common "Urgent" electronic delivery time. If not, They're running about 10 weeks, currently.

3 days (if he/she is part of the "huddle for government" system.....) is my common "Urgent" electronic delivery time. If not, They're running about 10 weeks, currently.

The neuropsychologist I saw for my cogscreen and neuropscyhological evaluation is part of the huddle system and it still took 3 or 4 weeks to get my records to him but it was a non-issue because I had to complete my sleep study and 30 days of data collection anyway so it worked out ok.

The doctor said he didn’t need the file to do the evaluation. I’m sure he will need it for his report. That kinda tells me it’s a BS thing anyway. I mean this doctor doesn’t even have a staff he is a one man show. Plus I would think if doctors had a reputation for not passing folks on the evaluation they would get zero business. Just my opinion. Did you do anything to prep. Doctor said to use brain hq to kind of tune up my brain. I don’t think I need it but thought I would ask you since you in the same boat as me, nothing neurocog wrong at all. If you did prep did it help?

The doctor said he didn’t need the file to do the evaluation. I’m sure he will need it for his report. That kinda tells me it’s a BS thing anyway. I mean this doctor doesn’t even have a staff he is a one man show. Plus I would think if doctors had a reputation for not passing folks on the evaluation they would get zero business. Just my opinion. Did you do anything to prep. Doctor said to use brain hq to kind of tune up my brain. I don’t think I need it but thought I would ask you since you in the same boat as me, nothing neurocog wrong at all. If you did prep did it help?

Prep only queers the testing and denies the neuropscyhologist tools to help you out. It's pretty objective. And when you prep one but not all 18 items and it doens't make sense, it makes for a "nonapproval" type, useless report.

The one thing that Brain hQ is good for is reducing anxiety....if you do Brain HQ you get good at Brain HQ; same for Lumosity. But dont queer the tools. That will not work out well.

I think the best advice I can give and I've seen other people give is that if you have to travel go up the night before and get a good night's sleep and get a good breakfast and just go in with an open mind and just try to be relaxed.

I did the full battery of testing. Prior to that, I did a lot of the brain apps. Lumosity is fun and can be quite the pastime. There are a couple of things in there that possibly helped. However, I think the benefit of it just getting yourself into the mindset of completing timed tasks.

if you have to travel, then get there the day prior. Get good nutrition and sleep. Easier said than done… I know. Whatever you do, make sure the doc you use knows what they’re doing. Get someone familiar with the FAA and has practice with the cog screen. Certification does not equal proficiency.

Thanks for the information. It appears this doctor has done a few of these things. Kinda of an older doctor for what that’s worth. I am
Confident my cognitive abilities are pretty good compared to most, or at least I think so. I’m using brain HQ to kind of tune up. Seems like a lot of simple meaningless tasks, however they can get quite busy toward the end. I do have a question. How strict are they about the deadlines on extensions. The neuro cog exam will be no problem but the MRI and the Neurologist may be close. My appointment is tomorrow and the extension is until October 9th. The letter says it’s a one time
Extension. Do they give second extensions?

Thanks for the information. It appears this doctor has done a few of these things. Kinda of an older doctor for what that’s worth. I am
Confident my cognitive abilities are pretty good compared to most, or at least I think so. I’m using brain HQ to kind of tune up. Seems like a lot of simple meaningless tasks, however they can get quite busy toward the end. I do have a question. How strict are they about the deadlines on extensions. The neuro cog exam will be no problem but the MRI and the Neurologist may be close. My appointment is tomorrow and the extension is until October 9th. The letter says it’s a one time
Extension. Do they give second extensions?

I have no clue about 2nd extensions but be sure that when you ask for your 30 days extension that you ask for it as close to the end of the 1st one as possible. I think it is 30 days from when you ask for it so you want to give yourself as much time as possible and not accidentally get 15 more days.

Ask for a 60 day extension. They've done that for me before but sometimes they'll only give you 30. Make sure to request the extension near the date of expiration as the extension starts on the day of the request. They might give you two 30 day extensions but will absolutely not give you more than 60 days total. I was waiting almost 4 months for the neropsychologist to receive my file last year and called to get another extension. I was granted one but a week or so later received a letter that the extension was granted in mistake. They don't permit a second extension.

What the hell are you supposed to do when the neurocog doc doesn’t get the file in time. I faxed the request. Two days later they told me the number on the form is no longer a fax number they monitor. It’s a good number they just don’t monitor it any longer in that department. I faxed it again
And this time they found it. 3 days lost. They say it’s 8 to 12 weeks to get the file (electronically) to the doctor. My extension is only good til october 9th. Things should not be this difficult.

All I know is that people complain most about this step... Can take forever...

Yea I know. I guess I shouldn’t feel special. Your right there are pages of complaints just like mine.

What the hell are you supposed to do when the neurocog doc doesn’t get the file in time. I faxed the request. Two days later they told me the number on the form is no longer a fax number they monitor. It’s a good number they just don’t monitor it any longer in that department. I faxed it again
And this time they found it. 3 days lost. They say it’s 8 to 12 weeks to get the file (electronically) to the doctor. My extension is only good til october 9th. Things should not be this difficult.
Then you are to reapply when you have what they require.
Or find a doc who is on the "Huddle for Government" system. We get the records in 3 days. (Before we had that I used to Lambaste OKC for 30 months to records deliver, and a 60 day requriement!!).

Or, plan better (which is tough). Most of the Neurocog offices are booked ahead 60 full days. What do you think America did during covid? We stayed home and drank alcohol and developed problems. The offices are overwhelmed.

We're not gonna change the system. All we can do is try to make what is, work. Get good advice. It would appear you did not.

And that is why my strategy for "difficult medicals" is GET EVERYTHING YOU NEED B4 you even apply (of course that doesn't go over too big because "I feel fine! I'm sure I'm Fine!" and retention of good advice isn't free. Let the opening serve be an "Ace"!

The doc is in the huddle system, FAA said 8 to 12 weeks. I think she was mistaken. According to you it should only take days. Appointment is next Wed. I still have some time. Maybe it will work out. I’m going to call again on Monday and get an update on the file. Surely they wouldn’t let me
Pay $3800 and let the results expire because of their inability to send a file over the internet.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back