File IFR - but going nowhere

skidoo

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
skidoo
On this scenario, at my local non-towered airport, I can see that the Ceiling is broken to overcast more than 3000 AGL, visibility is 30+, and at a tower 40 miles away they are reporting clear skies. Through some small holes in the layer, I can see the tops.

I am sitting here thinking that it would be nice to get on top and take some photos of the mountain peaks with clouds around them.

So, what is the best way file IFR, climb through the layer, fly around VFR around the peaks to and fro, and then fly the approach IFR back through the layer to my home airport? In other words, how do I file an IFR flight plan when I am not going anywhere?

For reference, my home airport is in a fairly wide valley (10-20 miles) 3000 MSL with peaks to 10K ft on one side.

You can file an IFR flight plan that turns to VFR at a certain point, and visa versa. Or you could go out IFR, cancel when it's VFR and then file another IFR and pick it up in the air when you're ready.

On this scenario, at my local non-towered airport, I can see that the Ceiling is broken to overcast more than 3000 AGL, visibility is 30+, and at a tower 40 miles away they are reporting clear skies. Through some small holes in the layer, I can see the tops.

I am sitting here thinking that it would be nice to get on top and take some photos of the mountain peaks with clouds around them.

So, what is the best way file IFR, climb through the layer, fly around VFR around the peaks to and fro, and then fly the approach IFR back through the layer to my home airport? In other words, how do I file an IFR flight plan when I am not going anywhere?

For reference, my home airport is in a fairly wide valley (10-20 miles) 3000 MSL with peaks to 10K ft on one side.

I usually file IFR to VFR on top, call ATC on the climb out, tell them I am on a VFR climb to on top estimating XX altitude. That assumes I have a large enough hole to circle climb and remain VFR. If not I fly the DP. Once on top if I am just sightseeing, I ask to keep it open so I can fly the approach to get back in without the hassle of re-filing. When I'm ready to come back if there is a big hole I might cancel at that time.

File direct to the point where you want to take your photos, then direct back to the airport. File the altitude at which you want to take your photos. When you reach VMC and are at the photo site tell the controller you want to cancel IFR to take photos and pick up an IFR clearance back to the field when you're through.

As people have said there are a couple of ways to do this. When I do practice activity in IMC I'll typically file from the airport to a fix and then back. In your case I would file to where you're taking pictures, let them know what your intentions are and then come back the same way.

When you're doing stuff in the airspace system, rule 1 is to let control know what your intentions are. They are very accomodating, most of the time.

File IFR for the route that you want to take. Your requested altitude is "VFR On Top".

You are treated as IFR all the way. You will be given an altitude restriction such as "Climb and Maintain VFR Conditions on Top. If Not on Top by 5000, Maintain 5000". Once you reach VFR conditions, advise the controller that you are in VFR conditions. He will then assign you to "Maintain VFR conditions on TOP".

You are still under IFR clearance but maintaining VFR condition. You will be treated as an IFR in every way except that you will not be afforded separation from other aircraft nor will you be provided obstruction clearance from terrain.

You will be expected to follow your original routing. If you want to deviate from the routing, just ask and he will give it to you.

When you start the return portion of your flight, simply request the controller assign you a hard altitude to maintain. From that point on it is just like any other IFR flight.

You are still under IFR clearance but maintaining VFR condition. You will be treated as an IFR in every way except that you will not be afforded separation from other aircraft nor will you be provided obstruction clearance from terrain.

True, you must do that yourself. While VFR-on-top you cannot descend below the minimum IFR altitude.

File IFR for the route that you want to take. Your requested altitude is "VFR On Top".

You are treated as IFR all the way. You will be given an altitude restriction such as "Climb and Maintain VFR Conditions on Top. If Not on Top by 5000, Maintain 5000". Once you reach VFR conditions, advise the controller that you are in VFR conditions. He will then assign you to "Maintain VFR conditions on TOP".

You will be expected to follow your original routing. If you want to deviate from the routing, just ask and he will give it to you.

When you start the return portion of your flight, simply request the controller assign you a hard altitude to maintain. From that point on it is just like any other IFR flight.

I suspect this won't work for the OP's intention of wandering around taking pictures of mountain peaks poking through the clouds. I'd go with Steven's suggestion to file two plans, one out and one back in and cancel IFR once you're in the vicinity of the picture taking.

Back