FIKI cert Mooney adequate for regular winter trips to Newfoundland and Labrador from New England?

beestforwardspeed

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
CoopAir
Hey everyone, on the heels of the thread about the new guy who was asking about flying regularly from LA to Aspen for Ski trips, I wanted to ask you guys about my own mission.

Fairly experienced pilot. 3000+ total, 1500 hrs multi, living in CT and looking to make regular trips, year round to Newfoundland and Labrador. Luckily as a major airline pilot, finally getting decent seniority, I have a "fairly" flex schedule, but far from as flex as I'd like of course.

On these trips, luckily, I'd be solo 90% of the time, and the other 10% would be with just 1 other pax.

1) I'd need at least 16-17K to avoid a wet footprint flying across from Nova Scotia so, turbo would make this necessary and 2) FIKI is also something I'd really like to have. Two go hand in hand I feel.

Of course I'd still have the same immersion suit and raft as if I'm crossing the North Atlantic, because 10 nm from shore id be in just as much trouble as 300nm if I ditched in the very cold ocean.

Of course, the wx there can often be bad enough for the airlines to cancel flights (which happened to me today), but at least flying GA, Id either be stuck at home, or likely stuck in some nice seaside town waiting for the wx to improve, vs a very utilitarian airport hotel where I'm typing this from.

Oh....and of course, despite the wx clearing, there dont have open seats for another 2 days, and with a checked bag, jumpseating isn't practical as I'm used to.

So, let me hear it. Is the Bravo, Acclaim or Ovation with FIKI enough to regular make this trip, primarily solo or at most rare 1 other pax, esp in the winter?

Not what you asked, but a turbo FIKI SR22 might do the job. The chute gives you another “out” in the worst-case icing scenario.

I own a FIKI Bravo. TKS has worked well for me. I fly over the Rockies IFR and occasionally need the TKS. I think the certificate says light to moderate icing.
I have not found a time the system running on high would not handle the situation. I have dual pumps and dual alternators. Have had two problems in ice when I have had hose leaks so no deice until you get it fixed. I have had two booted airplanes and think TKS is better unless you run out of fluid.

The icing up there doesn’t bother me as much as the exposure of a piston engine. Airports are far apart, and off field landing sites not great. Water may well be the best option many times, ditching with a survival suit. But the very cold air can only hold so much ice. FIKI TKS works well, but can deplete surprisingly quickly.

Ovations are not turbocharged, but they can fly up to 16-17k, depends on what your desire is for a climb rate.

Turbo FIKI Mooney with TKS should be fine. As good as any other single piston wet wing. But I'd be chicken to do it often. Former Mooney engineer and pilot.

I own a FIKI Bravo. TKS has worked well for me. I fly over the Rockies IFR and occasionally need the TKS. I think the certificate says light to moderate icing.
I have not found a time the system running on high would not handle the situation. I have dual pumps and dual alternators. Have had two problems in ice when I have had hose leaks so no deice until you get it fixed. I have had two booted airplanes and think TKS is better unless you run out of fluid.

Isn’t dual pumps and alternators a requirement for a FIKI designation?

There are Mooneys with TKS that are not considered FIKI, I’ve seen Js and Ks with it.

There is no reason you can’t check a bag jumpseating. I did it all the time.

Isn’t dual pumps and alternators a requirement for a FIKI designation?

There are Mooneys with TKS that are not considered FIKI, I’ve seen Js and Ks with it.
Main difference between the CAV TKS FIKI and Inadvertant system is the FIKI has dual pumps and heated stall sensor. This is according to the folks at CAV whom I spoke with last week about this exact issue.

Honestly, this comes down to how much risk you’re willing to accept and whether you’ll plan far enough in advance to fall back to jumpseating if that’s needed.

But an O ain’t a turbo.

Back