FIKI/6 seat aircraft

Yeah, my 500lbs in a V is equivalent to your 750lbs in the II. I can't imagine ever traveling 800mi non-stop with 3 women in the aircraft.

Does your II have a leather interior? I think that plus soundproofing adds a lot to the gw of the newer planes.
I struggle and have maintained a useable of >1500 lbs. I threw out a lot of equipment- KR 87, second xponder, etc.

Yup. Leather is nice. Redid it in the second year of ownership.

I really think you should consider a Malibu (1984-1988), known ice and pressure were my requirements. Your average legs are shorter than ours but even for the shorter (200 mile) trips its been the perfect plane. I only work on PA 46 aircraft now and have found the Malibu to be the more reliable and more economical of the PA46 group. If you're ever around HUT stop in and you can look over about 10 PA 46 in maintenance.

Regards, Kevin

Is it really worth it for the short trips though? Plus, I was under the impression that they (the almighty insurance people) wouldn't touch someone for a Malibu under 1000hrs. Obviously it opens up a whole new world of travel, but that plane sure doesn't have the best rep for mx and dispatch reliability.

Is it really worth it for the short trips though? Plus, I was under the impression that they (the almighty insurance people) wouldn't touch someone for a Malibu under 1000hrs. Obviously it opens up a whole new world of travel, but that plane sure doesn't have the best rep for mx and dispatch reliability.
Once upon a time the insurance companies wanted 1500+ hours for Malibus. This was when the losses were high due to poor initial/recurrent training. As the training has improved, the loss ratio has improved, and things have loosened up considerably. You can probably get it at 700 hours if half of your time is retract, although you might have a prolonged transition (dual + solo time) requirement.

Back