Figuring out notam location

DaveInPA

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Dave
I’m preparing for a flight tomorrow in North East and there is a notam that says ads-b and tis-b may not be available. I’m assuming this is in an specific area and not a big deal. But in interest in learning how to read a notam detail I can’t for the life of me decode the location…

KZNY ZNY AIRSPACE ADS-B, AUTO DEPENDENT SURVEILLANCE REBROADCAST (ADS-R), TFC INFO SERVICE BCST (TIS-B), FLT INFO SERVICE BCST (FIS-B) SERVICES MAY NOT BE AVBL WI AN AREA DEFINED AS 78NM RADIUS OF 322540N0764252W. SFC-UNL. 2108302038-2109062200EST

So I know it’s a 78nm radius from some lat/long that should be in decimal notation. But when I convert to degrees it doesn’t make sense. I tried putting in ForeFlight and they have it off coast of SC. What gives? Is this just a typo of the longitude?

I’m preparing for a flight tomorrow in North East and there is a notam that says ads-b and tis-b may not be available. I’m assuming this is in an specific area and not a big deal. But in interest in learning how to read a notam detail I can’t for the life of me decode the location…

KZNY ZNY AIRSPACE ADS-B, AUTO DEPENDENT SURVEILLANCE REBROADCAST (ADS-R), TFC INFO SERVICE BCST (TIS-B), FLT INFO SERVICE BCST (FIS-B) SERVICES MAY NOT BE AVBL WI AN AREA DEFINED AS 78NM RADIUS OF 322540N0764252W. SFC-UNL. 2108302038-2109062200EST

So I know it’s a 78nm radius from some lat/long that should be in decimal notation. But when I convert to degrees it doesn’t make sense. I tried putting in ForeFlight and they have it off coast of SC. What gives? Is this just a typo of the longitude?
What route did you enter t get this notam?

What route did you enter t get this notam?
KLOM KTTN KJFK HTO KBID 45° TO 24 (1,054') 32.428/-76.7 KHYA Rwy 24

I thought it might be ForeFlight so I did a notam search at faa and saw same thing there….

I converted the lat lon to decimal, entered it as a browser search, and came up with a point in the Atlantic about 175 miles east of Charleston SC. Navy exercise?

I converted the lat lon to decimal, entered it as a browser search, and came up with a point in the Atlantic about 175 miles east of Charleston SC. Navy exercise?

so it’s coded in degrees and you have to convert it to decimal to map it? The leading zero on the longitude threw me off but I got same as you. Why does NY center have a notam for something way outside their airspace?

but the answer to my original question is notam locations are coded in degrees and need to be converted!

so it’s coded in degrees and you have to convert it to decimal to map it? The leading zero on the longitude threw me off but I got same as you. Why does NY center have a notam for something way outside their airspace?

but the answer to my original question is notam locations are coded in degrees and need to be converted!
New York Center runs the Ocean out there.

upload_2021-8-31_5-4-18.png

NY Center controls the oceanic airspace along the east coast.

Back