figure it's a crazy idea, but what ya think?

So what you think?

• There be some down sides ya missing boy

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

iflyforfun

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
iflyforfun
Go to be relocating back to the US from overseas from June through end of the year. Will likely be living in Fort Myers, FL. I haven't flown anything but ultralights for last 10 years while living in Hong Kong but have 400 hrs SEL in 172, Mooney and Velocity aircraft.

So crazy idea is as follows.

I've ALWAYS wanted a Pietenpol. They're pretty much always available for $12k-$17k. Thinking I pick one up, poke holes in the sky for 4 months (give myself 2 months to find one) and sell it on my exit. I have a former pilot father in the area that can handle the sale ... getting hanger space may be the biggest challenge. I figure even if I buy for $16k and sell for $12k 4-6 months later I'm only looking at $4k plus expenses ... so call it something like $8k for 4 months of having a plane I've always dreamed of and being able to drag my wife all about FL for a few months in open air comfort.

Looks like rental rates are in the $130/hr-$150/hr for the traditional spam can stuff so even $8k only gets me 60 hours and that's all in spam cans ... where's the fun in that? Ok, 60 hours in 6 months in a club is a good bit of flying. Additionally, with a proper plane we can do a bit more exploring ... not sure the wife would be up to a weekend in Key West via Pietenpol but popping down in a 172 or 182 would be a pretty easy ride.

Work is slow so I haven't been called a moron in a day or two. This "idea" isn't too well thought through (spongy potato anyone?) so light up the flame throwers or shoot me some love ... what say you?

Not my cup of tea but, whatever makes you happy. I say go for it!

You want a Piet, buy a Piet.

Don't see why it would depreciate much over the course of a year. It may be a bit useful load challenged - particularly if your wife is like the lady that I used to sit next to at work: "I only took one suitcase of shoes for a week at Disney World" (actual quote).

Now, as for the poll, you may or may not be a moron, but what does that have to do with anything? :)

Gopher it.

An extremely experienced, life long pilot friend of mine has spoken fondly of a Pietenpol, and then I’ve read negative things about them here. It seems like one of those love it or hate it type things.

if you are sure that you will have the time to take advantage of owning it for fo months AND you can somehow get hangar space AND you can get a solid example I think you should do it. In this case though you have to get one that is well sorted. One of the planes I purchased took a LONG time to work out the bugs. If you ended up doing that it would be a disaster. All your time would be spent dealing with problems.

An extremely experienced, life long pilot friend of mine has spoken fondly of a Pietenpol, and then I’ve read negative things about them here. It seems like one of those love it or hate it type things.

if you are sure that you will have the time to take advantage of owning it for fo months AND you can somehow get hangar space AND you can get a solid example I think you should do it. In this case though you have to get one that is well sorted. One of the planes I purchased took a LONG time to work out the bugs. If you ended up doing that it would be a disaster. All your time would be spent dealing with problems.
Yeah, sadly the ones for sale are probably neglected.

I was going to vote "idiot" just for fun, lol, but then when I read you want a Pietenpol, I couldn't...LOVE THAT PLANE! I'm actually thinking of getting one as a second plane, I just gotta see if it will fit in the hangar with my Mooney, as I don't wanna wait for a second hangar because the waiting list is too long.

Go or it, why limit yourself to renting boring planes? Fly the Piet for fun, and rent when you need more capacity.

But do consider the contortions required to climb into the front cockpit.

Due to time, I would suggest you pay a premium and get a nicer one.
As @Salty said, most are likely in need of TLC.

Tim

Sent from my HD1907 using Tapatalk

Sounds fun. I’ve always liked the Pietenpol.

Maybe keep your options open if you can’t find what you want. A Champ or Luscombe maybe.
You might find a private owner willing to sell block hours. Throw an add up on barnstormers and see what happens.

Better make sure the wife likes flying in it, and make sure there is enough room to pack for a few days away from home. If that is a yes to both, I say go for it.

Go or it, why limit yourself to renting boring planes? Fly the Piet for fun, and rent when you need more capacity.

But do consider the contortions required to climb into the front cockpit.

That seems pretty feasible, rent something else for the few 'real' trips you might make with your wife (Key West, etc.) Another consideration, sounds like you have someone to oversee selling at the end of your stint, but, how long are you willing to wait for a sale to go through? Could be months, but, if that doesn't really matter, then no big deal.

I believe @Tools has a Pietenpol and might be able to give you some relevant advice or leads or horror stories.

Nauga,
weaving

I didn’t think the Piet had enough room for two and more baggage that a toothbrush, but I could very well be wrong.

Of course as our motorcycle riding friends used to say... “We don’t need luggage. All we need is a credit card and a laundromat.”

Ain’t a Piet on the planet worth 16k! Buy at 10, sell at 10, IF you can talk yourself into doing that.

MISERABLE flying plane, NOTHING will make ya smile more. Just that simple!

Gimme a shout for more practical stuff!

Tools, aka Mike, 423-883-0721

Ain’t a Piet on the planet worth 16k! Buy at 10, sell at 10, IF you can talk yourself into doing that.

MISERABLE flying plane, NOTHING will make ya smile more. Just that simple!

Gimme a shout for more practical stuff!

Tools, aka Mike, 423-883-0721
Once I'm back in the US and on same time zone, I'll do that. Let me know if you become aware of one with a day or two of Piet flying speeds.

Back