Fighting the low

Lance F

En-Route
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Lance F
Anybody else have to fight the big low today? I flew from northern Indiana (Auburn) to Atlanta this afternoon. Took off with 12kt direct crosswind with 29.66! altimeter setting and tuned south into killer headwinds. What was a 3 hour trip up yesterday was a 4 hour trip back today. And 3 1/2 hours of that was IMC.

Interesting day.

Last weekend there was a huge high right over the eastern seaboard...every where I flew from Friday to Sunday evening I had a head wind...Fayetteville NC---Lynchburg VA---North Philly---Fayetteville---Charlotte---North Myrtle Beach...

I have noticed that, especially when I'm flying the 310, it has terrible luck with headwinds. In fact, tomorrow I'll be crossing a cold front with it. Returning the same day, yet fltplan.com predicts 22 kt headwinds, and only 15 kt tailwinds.

A few weeks ago, I had 30 kt headwinds heading south, 0 kt tailwinds flying home.

*sigh*

flew southwestbound across texas directly into its teeth yesterday, was promised 50kts on the nose at 12K......so naturally I stayed right on the deck. Got to see a lot of the state in great detail.

Speaking of lows, I noticed that by this weekend there's going to be a VERY deep low lifting up the eastern seabord into Quebec. The forecast charts on ADDS have the surface pressure deepening to 954 mb before it disappears into Hudson Bay. In inches Hg that's something like 28.21. :eek:

Back