Fighter Jet rides

Actually, the Hornet is quite departure resistant in comparative terms. I remember spending an entire "OCF" flight in initial training trying to spin an F/A-18B. It is a one time exemption from NATOPS for F/A-18A-D pilots. We did multiple zero airspeed tailslides, with full cross controls and pro spin split throttles (one in MAX one at idle) and neither myself or my IP could get it to enter a spin. That said, it wasn't always like that. I'm sure nauga can tell us all about that :)

Last edited:
I'd imagine F-4 or A-4, you'd have the pilot riding the controls if you were doing anything real dynamic, as those guys had a tendency to swap ends and never recover in certain regimes from what the old guys have told me.
In either one of those if the demo pilot has more than two brain cells to rub together you're not going to get anywhere near a departure on a joyride. My $0.02 is that a new guy to "high performance" (L-39 not withstanding ;) ) jets is that you're not going to notice the difference on your first flight above 250 knots. Loops, rolls, break turns, maybe some low-level stuff, it's going to seem fast and maneuverable even if it's not, relatively speaking. I'd recommend more time in something cheaper, like one of the L-39 outfits, unless you *really* want a specific type in your logbook, like the Collings F-4.

Nauga,
who has tickled the 'cone of death' :rolleyes:

Last edited:
In either one of those if the demo pilot has more than two brain cells to rub together you're not going to get anywhere near a departure on a joyride. My $0.02 is that a new guy to "high performance" (L-39 not withstanding ;) ) jets is that you're not going to notice the difference on your first flight above 250 knots. Loops, rolls, break turns, maybe some low-level stuff, it's going to seem fast and maneuverable even if it's not, relatively speaking. I'd recommend more time in something cheaper unless you *really* want a specific type in your logbook.

Nauga,
who has tickled the 'cone of death' :rolleyes:

yeah I remember when I briefed up my backseat ride in a QF-4E, the guy (former AF F-15 type, squadron skipper at the time) was like "alright brother, we both grew up in Mac products but this one will scare both of us if we get slow and you don't roll with the rudder" or something to that effect.

...this one will scare both of us if we get slow and you don't roll with the rudder" or something to that effect.
A fam in the back of a straight E for me, but with similar 'encouragement'. We spent most of the flight too low for that to be an issue ;)

Nauga,
an his high -speed smoke

That said, it wasn't always like that. I'm sure nauga can tell us all about that :)
We published 'em, man, anybody can read 'em :D HUD video and everything :D

Nauga,
the radome feeler

The best fun ride you could would be a T-38. Simple, handles great, really fast, great visibility, an air conditioner.

I beg to differ. I hated the 38, it is under powered and under winged. Some love it, some hate it. I'm kinda with Henning - the Tweet would be my choice to give rides in. That thing was a blast to fly. (Other than instrument only sorties).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back