Field overhaul on my IO-540's?

I think there is no statistical case to be made that a factory reman is any safer than any kind of other overhaul. It's got new cams, new cylinders etc, so at least on paper that should add longevity, but in real life?

Obviously, a factory reman (zero timed) will add more resale value to the plane and be regarded as a plus in the market, so there's that. Will it recoup the extra money you spend compared to a garden variety o/h when it comes to selling? Maybe, but probably not in todays market.

Last edited:
I think there is no statistical case to be made that a factory reman is any safer than any kind of other overhaul. It's got new cams, new cylinders etc, so at least on paper that should add longevity, but in real life?

Obviously, a factory reman (zero timed) will add more resale value to the plane and be regarded as a plus in the market, so there's that. Will it recoup the extra money you spend compared to a garden variety o/h when it comes to selling? Maybe, but probably not in todays market.

FWIW, you can put all new parts in, the best of the best, but it is still up to the guy building the engine to put it together correctly. Not assembled correctly and those new parts are not going to last.

I've seen more than my share of the local "engine gurus" make a complete mess of an overhaul. Yea, they may have been cheaper initially but in the long haul they are actually more expensive.

For me I stick with folks with a known reputation and that will stand behind their work.

FWIW, you can put all new parts in, the best of the best, but it is still up to the guy building the engine to put it together correctly. Not assembled correctly and those new parts are not going to last.

I've seen more than my share of the local "engine gurus" make a complete mess of an overhaul. Yea, they may have been cheaper initially but in the long haul they are actually more expensive.

For me I stick with folks with a known reputation and that will stand behind their work.

+1......

This is just a case of poor workmanship by one person. There is an overhaul manual for every engine. It should be open and referenced during each stage of engine asm. It could sharpen at Conti or any small shop but prolly more prevalent in a place that doesn't do a lot of engines of this type, which leads right back to having the book out and open when doing the work.

Simply an inexcuseable mistake. If the cam had sheared at the gear, we could make a case for material defects, but the oil jet squirters? This is aviation engine 102 course stuff. The assembler hadn't seen it before and didn't ask or follow the manual.

Not necessarily a factory reman required, but you still think that after your very expensive experience? :mad2:

Ted, you seem to have selective reading comprehension.

Under the warranty, as agreed, they're now rectifying the problem and absorbing all costs involved. What "very expensive experience" are you referring to?

Would I have preferred the engine didn't make metal? Of course. Do I have guarantees that a factory reman would not have made metal? Of course not. All I can judge them by (as someone else said) is how they stand by their word and the warranty. So far, they've done all they said they'd do.

The second engine has been returned to service. It had an oil pump malfunction.

Last edited:
Ted, you seem to have selective reading comprehension.

Under the warranty, as agreed, they're now rectifying the problem and absorbing all costs involved. What "very expensive experience" are you referring to?

Would I have preferred the engine didn't make metal? Of course. Do I have guarantees that a factory reman would not have made metal? Of course not. All I can judge them by (as someone else said) is how they stand by their word and the warranty. So far, they've done all they said they'd do.

The second engine has been returned to service. It had an oil pump malfunction.

Hmmmm.. You are lucky those motors didn't kill you on the test flight...

I Wonder why the "oil pump malfunction" didn't show up on the ground runs ???:dunno::dunno:......:mad:...

Also.. WE all noticed you have not said what company did these outstanding overhauls..:idea:....

The only warranty you seem to have at this point is your life insurance policy.

Just as a point of reference. On 3/18 I did the 'maiden flight' after installation of a Continental factory reman on our Bo. Between my partners and myself, we have put about 40hrs on it since and all we had to do is some tweaking of mp, fuel-flow and governor. Yes it was 'expensive' to write that check to CMI.

Back