Fibbed to ATC. Got Caught. Was given number to call

What I said is not the opposite of published guidance to controllers. There is no published guidance advising controllers to genuinely be as a friend to the pilot.
The two pieces of writing you highlight offer little actual guidance to controllers. It's mostly fluffy pillow speak about how wonderful the FAA is.
However you overlooked one important sentence offering true guidance to the controller:

"This detached and professional approach is the best way we can support Flight Standards in conducting an investigation that leads to a positive, safety-enhancing conclusion."

In other words, the controller can best assist in the initial stages of investigating the pilot by being polite. Notice the controller is directed to assist the FAA, not the pilot.
I'm not saying the controller is never helpful to the pilot, I'm just pointing out the inescapable fact that controllers have no monetary incentive to be your friend and everyone runs on incentives.

“reflect a spirit of service to NAS operators…” If that’s not acting as a pilot’s friend as you say, then I don’t know what is.
A9351088-3438-4515-AF91-30A74F958900.jpeg

I'm just pointing out the inescapable fact that controllers have no monetary incentive to be your friend and everyone runs on incentives.
Aah - now I see. It seems your frame of reference is that monetary incentives are the only kind of incentives. That’s an incorrect view.

Aah - now I see. It seems your frame of reference is that monetary incentives are the only kind of incentives. That’s an incorrect view.

Poor reasoning on his part to not realize what you have pointed out and also his failing to consider that many of us are guided by our moral compass and our passion. Money is an incentive for those that love money but as we have been so clearly taught, that is where the root of all evil is ...

Well his premise of that only people working in the private sector will go the extra mile because of incentives, is false. Government employees still get raises based on performance as well. The military being a good example.

I keep complaining at work about lazy employees that still keep their jobs. Look at contractors. Anyone actually gotten great service from a contractor these days? How about Restaurants? Just as many lazy people working in private companies doing mediocre work and wanting premium pay. Just like the labor shortage thread. When there’s more jobs than workers, well, “beggars can’t be choosers.”

Last edited:
Oh - and so this also means soldiers and policemen are mercenaries and sailors and Coasties are…pirates.

Yarrrr!!

I'm not saying the controller is never helpful to the pilot, I'm just pointing out the inescapable fact that controllers have no monetary incentive to be your friend and everyone runs on incentives.
But monetary incentives aren’t the only incentives, and are normally secondary to internal motivations.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back