FFI Checkride - Complete

AirBaker

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
AirBaker
Well it has been one crazy weekend, but as of this last Saturday I passed my FFI Wing checkride. The weekend started with a long briefing Wednesday night, and 3 flights a day through Saturday. The checkride is designed to see just about every aspect of the FFI curriculum. Engine start time, parade taxi, show line, and every little aspect of the flight is fully briefed.

The last flight of the day on Saturday, is to be my checkride. I'm flying number 2. We check in on interflight and then go ground for the taxi. Our element take off goes smoothly and the second element is able to rejoin overhead the field in our right 270 departure.

Lead gives us a kick out for the ops check as we climb to 2500'. RPM is brought back to 2500, cowl flaps closed, everything is green and we're rocked back in.

First maneuver is a lazy-8 in left fingertip. All turns have to hit at least 30 degrees of bank with 3' - 0' wingtip separation.

Lazy 8s are also done in diamond and trail formation. From trail, we move back to fingertip, then the second element is crossed under into echelon. 180 degree echelon turns are made and as we roll out, lead gives the signal for a 5 second break.

After the kiss-off, lead does a snappy bank to 45 degrees for a 180 degree turn. It's at this point, I realize that I've had a vacuum failure. No AI, no DG. Not a big deal for VFR flights, but now 45 degrees is a bit more of an estimate, as is my roll out heading for the end of my break.

As I start coming around, I regain sight of lead and roll out behind him. 4 calls in and lead starts his turn for the rejoin. A turn inside of lead, and I find the 45 degree line to slide up to lead. 3 and 4 slide through close trail and pop up into position. We're reconfigured into another echelon and run through the break and 2 more times.

The last tricky part is to show the check pilot both a single ship and element landing with the proper spacing. We're given an overhead break, gear down at the perch, then a descending 180 turn to final. We level off at 500' agl and fly halfway down the field. Gear comes up abeam the tower, and a climb back up to pattern altitude. The fun part is that 2 has to catch up and rejoin lead, and 4 has to rejoin with 3.

One last echelon turn into an element landing and its just about done.

Sunday we get up one last large formation. Turns out there was an Asparagus Festival in Stockton. So... we made a 'spear' formation. :)

A few pictures can be found at:
http://picasaweb.google.com/airbaker/SCKFFIWeekend
Video to follow.

Attachments

• Asparagus Spear 2 IMG_0248.jpg
    Asparagus Spear 2 IMG_0248.jpg
    686.7 KB · Views: 11
  • Diamond IMG_0224.jpg
    Diamond IMG_0224.jpg
    856.2 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
That is awesome. Where can one start to get training for such formation (outside of the Navy)?

0-3' wingtip clearance? So not even wingtip clearance to 3 ft? That's pretty close, huh?

I'm not sure I understand the element landing bit. I understand that the single ship stuff involves flying the overhead, but where are you doing the form approach/landing?

Cool story though. Sounds fun.

Last edited:
For all those who think commercial maneuvers are silly requirements...

0-3' wingtip clearance? So not even wingtip clearance to 3 ft? That's pretty close, huh?

I'm not sure I understand the element landing bit. I understand that the single ship stuff involves flying the overhead, but where are you doing the form approach/landing?

Cool story though. Sounds fun.

Basically we were graded on maintaining the 3' clearance in all 3 dimensions. Step down, wingtip and nose/tail. We can pull it in tighter, but it is ideal to have all 4 ships with equal symmetry.

For the element landing, we had to rejoin in the pattern. Lead flies out at 100 kts / 500fpm and 2 and 4 get to cheat a bit with some extra power to make the rejoin by midfield downwind. If lead doesn't hit his numbers, he can really hose his wing.

Basically we were graded on maintaining the 3' clearance in all 3 dimensions. Step down, wingtip and nose/tail. We can pull it in tighter, but it is ideal to have all 4 ships with equal symmetry.

So if these are dissimilar aircraft, what are you using for references? Did you guys have to do the math, or do you just kind of eyeball it? Is the check pilot in the plane with you?

Three feet is about as close as I'd get.

For the element landing, we had to rejoin in the pattern. Lead flies out at 100 kts / 500fpm and 2 and 4 get to cheat a bit with some extra power to make the rejoin by midfield downwind. If lead doesn't hit his numbers, he can really hose his wing.

Yeah, it's always nice when lead flies a good platform, but it's the wingman's job to be in position. ;)

So you guys rejoin on downwind then fly the straight-in to a wing landing? What's your wingtip clearance on those? Are you using visual signals for gear?

I love formation flying. :)

Awesome! Good luck with your checkride. I had the privilege of attending an RV Formation Flying Clinic in Mason City, IA a few years ago. Didn't get to do any flying myself, but it was still a very cool learning experience to sit through the lesson sessions and then ride along on a few demo's.

Many of the folks there had their FFI card and were actually practicing for their formation fly-over at OSH that year. Several folks there were working on getting their FFI card, including the guy I rode along with a few times. I can attest to the stress you are putting yourself through. :)

Good luck and have fun!

Chandelle. Go. :)
Straight from the AFH:

The objective of this maneuver is to develop the pilot’s coordination, orientation, planning, and accuracy of control during maximum performance flight.​

Obviously, you want maximum performance climb ending in minimal controllable airspeed without stalling. In aerobatics, the Chandelle is often considered a basic to perfect before learning an Immelman. Both are used as air combat maneuvers.​

Dude, congrats on passing your form check. Flying formation is the most fun you can have with your pants on. Why is your fingertip limited to only 30 degrees?

Straight from the AFH:

Obviously, you want maximum performance climb ending in minimal controllable airspeed without stalling. In aerobatics, the Chandelle is often considered a basic to perfect before learning an Immelman. Both are used as air combat maneuvers.[/left]

Chandelles are useless. I believe you are thinking of a pitchback.

Last edited:
Dude, congrats on passing your form check. Flying formation is the most fun you can have with your pants on. Why is your fingertip limited to only 30 degrees?

Thanks! It is a 'greater than 30 deg' requirement. We've been rolled over to 45 and more before, just got to do it smoothly. :)

:D I was just throwing out a random PTS maneuver that has nothing to do with formation.

Straight from the AFH:

Obviously, you want maximum performance climb ending in minimal controllable airspeed without stalling. In aerobatics, the Chandelle is often considered a basic to perfect before learning an Immelman. Both are used as air combat maneuvers.[/left]

A chandelle would be horrible in BFM. As Bull said, a pitchback would be more applicable.

Really, most of the stuff in formation is just basic aircraft control. If the commercial stuff makes you better at controlling your aircraft, then more power to ya. Just fly the visual references and trim.

I'm honestly curious - where does one learn this stuff?

I'm really not sure. I stumbled into it from the B2osh folks. I know the Grummans that were out there said there isn't much in the way of formation work for them West of the Rockies.

We just started getting Mooney folks involved and helping them out with the Mooney Caravan.

The T-34 manual and 'Formation Flying - The Art' video are a bit standard for any of these courses. First you have to find other pilots that want to fly close to someone else. :)

:D I was just throwing out a random PTS maneuver that has nothing to do with formation.

A Chandelle would be horrible in BFM. As Bull said, a pitchback would be more applicable.

Really, most of the stuff in formation is just basic aircraft control. If the commercial stuff makes you better at controlling your aircraft, then more power to ya. Just fly the visual references and trim.
I understand what you're saying. But, you have to admit there are basics which must be learned and mastered before moving forward. Be they like the commercial standards or something similar, there must be basics.

Are you going to send a rookie military pilot right into air combat maneuvers? Not likely. He'll start with basics just like any private pilot. The one major difference is they are held to a much higher standard and their training progresses at a much faster pace. It takes next to nothing to wash out as a military flight officer.

I doubt you're going to teach formation flight to someone who can't hold attitude and altitude properly in the pattern.

I'm really not sure. I stumbled into it from the B2osh folks. I know the Grummans that were out there said there isn't much in the way of formation work for them West of the Rockies.

We just started getting Mooney folks involved and helping them out with the Mooney Caravan.

The T-34 manual and 'Formation Flying - The Art' video are a bit standard for any of these courses. First you have to find other pilots that want to fly close to someone else. :)

What does the checkride entitle you to? Is there a 2 ship/4 ship flight lead upgrade program?

I understand what you're saying. But, you have to admit there are basics which must be learned and mastered before moving forward. Be they like the commercial standards or something similar, there must be basics.

Oh I agree. That doesn't negate the gayness of a chandelle. :p

Are you going to send a rookie military pilot right into air combat maneuvers? Not likely. He'll start with basics just like any private pilot. The one major difference is they are held to a much higher standard and their training progresses at a much faster pace.

:yes: Each phase of training starts out with a contact phase where dudes learn the basics of the aircraft - advanced handling characteristics, basic and advanced aerobatics, and lots of pattern work. There's a contact checkride (or at least a solo) before one progresses to formation.

It takes next to nothing to wash out as a military flight officer.
I disagree with that statement.

I doubt you're going to teach formation flight to someone who can't hold attitude and altitude properly in the pattern.

True, but he basics of formation still remain the same. To be honest, I'm not sure what all the maneuvers of the commercial standards are, but I would imagine some are more helpful than others. :)

What does the checkride entitle you to? Is there a 2 ship/4 ship flight lead upgrade program?

FFI cards basically equal FAST cards. Just lets you fly formation in waivered airspace, airshows, etc.

Oh I agree. That doesn't negate the gayness of a chandelle. :p
Hey, I didn't choose a French name! But, it was the damn French who invented it. Even though there are more aggressive maneuvers now used, the Chandelle was originally designed as a combat maneuver.

I disagree with that statement.
Just how much does it take to get washed out?

True, but he basics of formation still remain the same. To be honest, I'm not sure what all the maneuvers of the commercial standards are, but I would imagine some are more helpful than others. :)
Dude, you need to get the Airplane Flying Handbook and go fly these things so you can have "conversational knowledge" to discuss them with us little people. :)

At least, that's what is drilled into me during CFI training... "conversational knowledge" of the material.

Hey, I didn't choose a French name! But, it was the damn French who invented it. Even though there are more aggressive maneuvers now used, the Chandelle was originally designed as a combat maneuver.

It's not taught as one today. :dunno:

Just how much does it take to get washed out?
Three busted rides in a row (daily rides) sends you to an 88 ride (Progress check) then an 89 ride (elimination check) then you stand tall in front of the man

- or -

Busting a checkride sends you through the same sequence, unless you've already burned the 88 ride, then you go straight to an 89. If you pass the 88 after the bust or any of the elimination sequenced rides, you're returned to training. I've heard of guys going to multiple 89 rides and going on to get their wings.

Dude, you need to get the Airplane Flying Handbook and go fly these things so you can have "conversational knowledge" to discuss them with us little people. :)

At least, that's what is drilled into me during CFI training... "conversational knowledge" of the material.
I've never really looked at the PTS for it, but most of the maneuvers I've seen mentioned here for it I've flown in some form or another. Trust me, I've flown the Chandelle enough to know that I don't enjoy it. ;)

-Break Break-

Airbaker -

I googled the FFI and came up with http://www.eaa105.org/Activities/FFI-Manual.pdf :eek:

Pretty tough standards (some of which I don't necessarily completely agree with). That's friggin awesome that you met or exceeded them though. How did you train for this? Did you set aside a place in your logbook for formation time?

First, congratulations -- passing an FFI formation check is a sign of considerable practice and skill.

Second, FFI is Formation Flying, Inc. You can find out more about FFI in this AvWeb story.

Third, if you want to get into formation flying, check with FFI (see the article for contact info) if you fly a civilian aircraft, or get with FAST via your type club if you fly a warbird (including T-34's and Yaks). The Bonanzas, RV's, and Swifts work formation training through their type clubs -- FFI can put you in touch with the right folks. The Grummans work formation outside the AYA -- email me off-PoA if you fly a Grumman and want to get involved.

Training typically involves starting with the T-34 FFM and Darton video mentioned above (you can get them together for about $70 from the T-34 Association). Once you've studied those, you will learn the standards and procedures peculiar to your aircraft type (for the Grumman program, expect about four hours of ground training plus study on your own), then do formation walkthroughs on the ground. Once you've done that, expect a demo ride in the right seat with a qualified formation pilot in the left seat before you start really flying formation.

Initially, you'll go up in 2-ship formation, with another trainee in the other plane, and a qualified formation pilot in the right seat in each plane. You start out with basic station-keeping in straight and level flight, then move into holding position in turns, crossunders to get from one side to the other, and getting into/out of trail position and holding it in turns. Once you get that down, you'll move into maneuvering in formation, mainly Lazy-8's with increasing levels of pitch and bank. The last basic skill to learn is the rejoin -- getting onto the wing of your leader from outside the formation. At some point, you'll be released to fly solo for more 2-ship practice. When you've got that all down, you move into 4-ships, initially with a safety pilot, and then solo, going through the same progression as in 2-ship. It usually takes a few dozen formation flights before the new trainee is ready for a Wingman check.

Generally speaking, dissimilar formation is discouraged until you have a lot of formation experience, and even then, it can be very tricky. Virtually all FFI training is done in similar airframes.

FFI training starts out with wing position, but there is no 2-ship qualification -- an FFI Wingman card requires a checkride in a 4-ship formation, usually as 2 or 4. Likewise, there is no 2-ship flight lead qual -- an FFL Flight Lead card requires you to lead a 4-ship on the check ride. There is no specific qualification to fly as 3 (second element lead in a 4-ship); it's pretty much left to the flight lead when a wingman is ready to fly as 3.

Ron Levy
FFI FL-64

Back