Ffa?

sshekels

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Scott Shekels
In furtherance of our Grand Adventure 2005, we will be flying from CLT/AVL to FFA. Anyone have any good tips on places to stop and things to see out on the banks?

Also, from there we will unfortunately need to turn north (brr) - Any interesting routes in the general direction (or not so general direction) of MSP?

Thanks!

Scott

sshekels said:
In furtherance of our Grand Adventure 2005, we will be flying from CLT/AVL to FFA. Anyone have any good tips on places to stop and things to see out on the banks?

Also, from there we will unfortunately need to turn north (brr) - Any interesting routes in the general direction (or not so general direction) of MSP?

Thanks!

Scott

If you are going North, try going to Ocracoke W95 on the way to FFA. Eat lunch at Howards Pub (a short walk from the airport), then fly up the Outer Banks to First Flight. The scenery is spectacular. From FFA, continue the wrong direction and you can either remain off shore a little ways, or go inland and up the Eastern Shore of Maryland for crabcakes.

Enjoy the flignt.

Stop at FFA and check out the museum there. They've done a lot for the 100th (and the 101st). Free admission if you fly in. The monument is nice to see at night if you're there that long. About half a mile down Collington Road towards the harbour is a nice restaurant but I don't guarentee your W&B afterwards!
Watch out for the MOAs and the Restricted space. There is a lot of activity in the area. Flight following might help to keep you clear or; as I did a few times, up the outside coast at 1,000 feet.
Dare County Airport is just across the bay; not quite 6 miles. Just outside of the airport, there is an aquarium, The Elizabethan Gardens, Fort ?, and the city of the lost settlers. The other side of Manteo is the Weeping Radish; a great German Brewpub if you have the time.
I always have a great time down there, but I drive down from MA and live there for a couple of weeks.

Back