FF track log question

BigBadLou

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Lou
I do not normally use track logs but since I saw one recently in my FF, I thought I'd explore.
Right off the bat, I could not figure out how to display it in FF. There is a way to export it into multitude of places but all require them Ynterwebs (such as "Export to FF Web"). Imagine you're in the flight levels, that would be a strange limitation.

So my question is: what am I missing? Am I not seeing a button that can make a nice overlay on FF map locally on the tablet?

Yes, I could contact FF support but I don't want to bother them if it's my fault for not seeing some button.
And yes, I could RTFM but my implied point is that the UI should be intuitive and usable without reading lengthy manuals.

So what do you, FF users, say to this old coot who can't find a dang button? :)

I don't know of a way to overlay it on the FF map inside of the app (but I'd love the option). You can export it to view on Foreflight.com or Google Earth (if you have it installed). Those are the two options I use most often.

But I'll be anxiously awaiting someone to correct me about being able to view it in the app itself... @flyingcheesehead?

Not sure in that regard, but if you were on Flight Following than you can pull up your track on FlightAware and view it with a satellite overlay.

I don't know of a way to overlay it on the FF map inside of the app (but I'd love the option). You can export it to view on Foreflight.com or Google Earth (if you have it installed). Those are the two options I use most often.
You're correct. You can easily find and view the track logs on https://plan.foreflight.com -- but not possible to view within the mobile app.

But within the mobile app, two clicks will easily export the track of interest to https://plan.foreflight.com. Just tried this on my iPhone and the browser opened, navigated to the website, and showed me the track.

But within the mobile app, two clicks will easily export the track of interest to https://plan.foreflight.com.
Right. Agreed. But exactly the point I was making. Two simple clicks .... and an Internet connection far far away.

If nobody knows of a way to do it "locally", I'll file a suggestion to FF. This seems like an absolutely logical feature.

'll file a suggestion to FF. This seems like an absolutely logical feature.
Especially since mobile devices are no longer tiny screen things they once were.

Yes, you can export the track log to flightaware and view it in a matter of two or three seconds. Simply select the track log and click the output box which looks like a square with an arrow going up. Then select Foreflight.com and the track log will appear quickly on a country wide map. Expand the scale as desired. I went through a whole bunch of old track logs last night very quickly.

Works great!

But I'll be anxiously awaiting someone to correct me about being able to view it in the app itself... @flyingcheesehead?

Nope, not that I know of.

I"ve never really felt the desire, but maybe it would be fun. Y'know, if I had free time. I should probably be asleep right now. :(

Right. Agreed. But exactly the point I was making. Two simple clicks .... and an Internet connection far far away.

If nobody knows of a way to do it "locally", I'll file a suggestion to FF. This seems like an absolutely logical feature.

You want to look at your current track log in realtime, or any previously flown track logs? I agree that it would be cool to be able to see them in the FF app without needing to export them to another web based app. Seems silly to have to export them to Google Earth, or FF desktop, or another mapping app.

ForeFlight now (finally) displays track logs natively.

Back