Ferry services needed

kwc98

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
kwc98
I am looking for a quote to ferry a plane from Boston to Nashville. I contacted http://theferrypilot.com/ but I have not heard anything back from them. I will try to call today. The list of their 'recent' ferries are about a year old, so I am not sure they are still in business. Does anyone have a recommendation on ferrying a plane?

UPDATE
1969 Cherokee 140. IFR, in annual, Garmin 696

thanks,
Ken

Last edited:
Maybe state the type of the aircraft. It would give people an idea where to point you.

Ben @ the ferry pilot is still around. He flies full time so he might need a day or two to respond.

What type of airplane do you need ferried ? I also ferry airplanes and might be able to assist.

Probably that Cherokee that he was having the prebuy done at OWD.

PM Ren (dell30rb) on this board. He does ferry work and is based on the east coast.

Fly me to Boston, fly me home from Nashville - I'll do it for $500 plus hotel expenses. . . .

Thanks guys for all the responses. One more question here:

Doing the ferry on a newly purchased plane, how does the insurance work? I am thinking that I would own the plane at this point. Do I need to put you on my insurance? Do I just need to talk to my insurance?

thanks,
Ken

Doing the ferry on a newly purchased plane, how does the insurance work? I am thinking that I would own the plane at this point. Do I need to put you on my insurance? Do I just need to talk to my insurance?

thanks,
Ken

Call your insurance, and explain to them what you are wanting to do. They will let you know what needs to happen. It could be as simple as adding the Ferry Pilot to you policy, or they might require the Ferry Pilot to provide his own Business Insurance Coverage.

Flav

thanks,
Ken

The ferry pilot will need to meet the Open Pilot Warranty qualifications on the policy, that covers your interests.

Curious, being it's a fairly short trip, why not fly it yourself?

Lots of people sure seem hot for an opportunity to fly a Cherokee XC. That's good...drives down ferry prices. :)

The price of expenses,for the ferry pilot may be prohibitive. Have done the trip from KOWD,several times on my way south. Unfortunately I'm in Fla for the winter. Look for a fellow pilot to take the trip with you.

thanks,
Ken

Once you buy the airplane, you should purchase insurance. The coverage you purchase to insure yourself will cover the ferry flight. As long as the ferry pilot meets your open pilot clause, or gets added to your policy as named insured. This usually does not cost you any extra money.

Last edited:
Not only the ferry, but you're exposed RIGHT now. That aircraft may be substantially damaged while parked.

You should take your flight instructor with you and pick the airplane up yourself.

This. Talk about learning xc planning. :)

And probably cost u the same as a ferry pilot. And you get time towards time in type for insurance reasons.

The reason most people hire a ferry pilot is because they do not have the time available to do the trip, especially this time of year when the weather can ground you for days at a time.

The reason most people hire a ferry pilot is because they do not have the time available to do the trip, especially this time of year when the weather can ground you for days at a time.

Exactly. Thanks for chiming in. Getting everyone's schedule together with a snow storm per week was too tricky to arrange well.

All of my dual time is already logged.

Exactly. Thanks for chiming in. Getting everyone's schedule together with a snow storm per week was too tricky to arrange well.

All of my dual time is already logged.

That's the typical situation for the ferry flights I do anymore. When I worked at a repair station though, I was usually ferrying the planes because the owners were kind of afraid to fly them until they got fixed.:lol:

That's the typical situation for the ferry flights I do anymore. When I worked at a repair station though, I was usually ferrying the planes because the owners were kind of afraid to fly them until they got fixed.:lol:

I have done one of those. Except it was the previous ferry pilot who left the plane in Texas after it had some issues, running poorly because of bad spark plugs. The owner was really nervous I would discover some minor problem and similarly abandon the aircraft. Everything turned out fine

I have done one of those. Except it was the previous ferry pilot who left the plane in Texas after it had some issues, running poorly because of bad spark plugs. The owner was really nervous I would discover some minor problem and similarly abandon the aircraft. Everything turned out fine

Yeah, if you understand machines, it's not hard to make a plane safe to ferry, they really are very simple machines, at least the GA fleet is.

Which leads me to ask if they have enough time to make owning make sense, or even stay current?

Picking up your new plane for that flight home is both invaluable training, as well as one of the most memorable flights you'll make.

Which leads me to ask if they have enough time to make owning make sense, or even stay current?

Picking up your new plane for that flight home is both invaluable training, as well as one of the most memorable flights you'll make.

It's always a question regardless, but I don't think that not being able block out a potential four day window of time to get a plane home is indicative of not having the time to make ownership worthwhile. There is still plenty of time one can spend locally without having to risk a situation where you can't make it to your duties tomorrow.

It is definitely a factor to consider though when buying, that's for sure.

I had an airplane delivery be rolled into the purchase price once. I was busy that month and couldn't make the trip. Best decision ever.

Back