Ferry Permits 2021

Stewartb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
stewartb
Anyone heard that ferry permits are no longer being issued? Ya, me too. That's incorrect info.
I filed the new electronic request for a special flight permit at about 2:00 today and by 4:00 I had an email from FSDO saying I need to add a copy of a logbook entry stating

An appropriately Certificated Mechanic or Repair Station shall inspect the aircraft. An entry shall be made in the aircraft maintenance record that certifies the aircraft is “Safe for the intended flight” and “No airworthiness directives (AD) apply except in accordance with requirements of the AD”.

I didn’t see that requirement in the instructions but I was in a hurry and have missed it. My FAA guy wanted to issue today but I didn’t see this email in time so I’ll wait until tomorrow. In essence that means I get a Special Flight Permit in just a couple of hours and the paperless process is pretty darn simple. Here’s the link to the paperless request, the detailed instructions, and form 8130-6 that you can fill out on the computer, print, sign, scan, and attach to the request. Overall I’m pleased with the concept and very pleased with the response time.

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org...rry_permit.pdf

Hint. If you fill in the application you may get stuck at the N number. Fill that in, or most of it, and then find your N number on the drop-down menu. Select it there and the rest of the page will auto populate from the aircraft registration database. Super simple once I got past that.

Back