Ferry Flights

Speed

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Speed
Just curious, do any of you ferry airplanes on the side or for a living? Do you, would you, or should you carry your own liability insurance? If you are considered on the open rider on the owners policy, do you get sued if you wreck the airplane?

I've started getting calls for some flights, and did one last week from Atlanta to Bangor with little consideration for other outside factors I will admit. I'm just wondering, if I do much more of this, what other things may I need to consider?

How do you charge, or base your charges? I told this guy $250/day plus fuel (a random amount someone else suggested) and he didn't blink an eye. Standard? Does it vary from one type of airplane to the next? 152 vs 182? How long is a day? The above flight took 9.6 hours, completed at 2am (so I could get home in time to work). What if it takes two days, but one day you only fly 2 hours to the airplanes base? Charge 1/2 day?

When I do it, I make sure I'm a named insured on the owner's policy, with no subrogation, or I go out to AOPAIA and get a policy to cover the flight, and bill the client for it. Then I charge him for all expenses, including charts if outside the USA, lodging if a multiday flight, fuel, oil, etc. Finally, I charge a per diem fee. Right now it's $100 if less than 4 hours of flight, and $200 above, and max planned flight time of 8 per day.

It all depends on what you want to get out of it. If I were trying to make a living at it I'd charge more - what I charge now ensures I don't LOSE money.

It's pretty hard to get someone to agree to make you a named insured on their policy (it seriously dilutes their own protection), and even then, you may only be getting half or so of the policy limit (since you're splitting it with the aircraft owner). If you're going to ferry planes for hire, get your own non-owned policy, and make sure it covers ferry flights for hire. Otherwise, you're really hanging your assets out.

I've noticed fees can vary quite a bit. Don't be afraid to ask for what you think is reasonable. Other than that, I can't give you much advice.

But I can tell you about the two ferry flights I've done so far! Both last year.

On my first I charged per flight hour what I get paid as an instructor. I didn't charge a daily fee or anything because I was mostly looking for the experience (Ercoupe from WI to MT). All expenses were paid including a return airline flight, plus the flight hour pay, plus I got to take my best friend along and her airline flight was paid for too. That was a nice deal as far as I was concerned, and I had an awesome trip. Insurance-wise I don't remember exactly how we did it, but I was on the buyer's insurance.

The second was a three-hour trip in a 172. I was paid very well - let's just say more than I can dream about as a CFI in one day, and that was their offer not mine. I witnessed the most beautiful sunrise I had ever seen, and I got to ride back in a Cessna Citation - my first and so far only trip in a business jet. A very cool experience.

For me, it's about the long cross-country experience right now more than the money. It's a nice way to break the same-old-same-old pattern.

Next on the agenda is a 600+ mile light-sport trip in June... more details to come!

It's pretty hard to get someone to agree to make you a named insured on their policy (it seriously dilutes their own protection), and even then, you may only be getting half or so of the policy limit (since you're splitting it with the aircraft owner). If you're going to ferry planes for hire, get your own non-owned policy, and make sure it covers ferry flights for hire. Otherwise, you're really hanging your assets out.

Interesting, I've not done that many flights, so my experience may not be typical, but I've always had a written contract, and gotten written coverage from the insurance company. Basically, I insist on getting the same coverage and indemnification as the owner, and the insurance company must waive rights to come after me. So as long as the owner has decent liability limits, I'm happy.

But I know that I've been lucky so far, and I can get a rider to my non-owned policy easily if the client's insurance balks at covering the op.

How do you get contacted for ferry flights? I've never been asked.

Well, one could advertise in something like Trade-A-Plane, or the various other aviation newspapers. One could put up a little flyer at the airport.

I have gotten my few jobs by word of mouth. Somebody knew somebody who knew me, and I was available. I've also gotten some by knowing one of our local maintenance shops. They know I'm qualified on a few less common aircraft like the Symphony, so if there's a need I am likely to get a call.

If you wanted to try and make a "real" income from it, you'd have to work hard at it. Becoming an "apprentice" for an established firm for a year might be a good start. Your competition is every other commercial pilot, and some (like airline pilots) have the advantage of free travel, so they don't have to charge return airfare.

If you're looking for casual work - I'd suggest becoming friendly with your local service shops and flight schools.

Word of mouth as Tim said, and good behaviour. ;) After one ferry flight I did, I got offered five more the following week.

Well, that leaves me out!

The last one I did was a few years ago, but back then my standard fee was $200/day plus every incidental expense (mileage, tolls, airline tickets, charts, meals, hotels, rental cars--everything) from the minute I leave my front door until I return to it. I tell the client that I reserve the right to refuse the aircraft for any mechanical item I find. If there is a mechanical issue and I can have it fixed in a reasonable (cost effective) period of time I will, but if not then the client will eat a second 1-way airline ticket.

The biggest item deciding whether or not I will take a ferry flight is the fun factor. If it's just a job I won't do it. OTOH, if the client is interesting or the aircraft is interesting or the origin/route/destination is interesting I'll usually take the job. The last one I did was for a pilot that wanted some real long x-country experience. The client sounded particularly interesting so I offered dual from Houston to SE Pennsylvania at standard CFI hourly rates or $200/day, whichever was less. FWIW, I probably wouldn't have taken the flight if it had been a simple ferry flight, after all, how interesting can a PA-28 be? ;)

BTW, AFAIK, check with the insurance company before relying on this, but adding yourself as a named insured on the owner's policy is usually worthless-the policy is undoubtedly business & pleasure and ferrying for a fee is a commercial activity. Either accept the risk or buy your own commercial policy ($$$).

Last edited:
Back