Female WWII pilots barred from Arlington National Cemetery

A agree they were heroes. But so was Rosie The Riviter, where do you draw the line? What about the 250k merchant marines? im sure there were many of the who did heroic things. Admittedly, I don't know the rules to be buried there. It's a tough situation.

Not one riveter was shot down by enemy fire doing her job. Nor did any riveter end up in a smoking hole in the ground.
These women deserve better.

Not one riveter was shot down by enemy fire doing her job.
Were any WASPs actually shot down? I thought they were all CONUS, with trips to Alaska.

I agree on their bravery, and have no personal objection to their interment in Arlington, but I understand the Government's point of view. WASPs were civilian employees of the War Department. Like Merchant Mariners, they did a dangerous job, but like them, they could walk away anytime. There's a difference between them an an infantry private who'd in for the duration and may be court-martialed...even shot...if he decides he doesn't want to serve anymore.

It's interesting to note that Arlington has a more-stringent policy for in-ground burial than most veteran's cemeteries. Just having served doesn't get you in.

Nor did any riveter end up in a smoking hole in the ground.

Yes, I'm sure that never happened. But I would expect there were a number of WWII factory workers crushed, burned, blinded, and torn apart. Even today, Boeing manufacturing employees suffer major injuries or are killed very year or so.

Ron Wanttaja

From wiki:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women_Airforce_Service_Pilots

>>>
Thirty-eight WASP fliers lost their lives while serving during the war, all in accidents. Eleven died in training and twenty-seven on active duty. Because they were not considered military under the existing guidelines, a fallen WASP was sent home at family expense without traditional military honors or note of heroism. The army would not allow the U.S. flag to be placed on the coffin of the fallen WASP.[14]
<<<

Any citizen can have a flag placed on their coffin. It's not a right reserved to the military.

Any citizen can have a flag placed on their coffin. It's not a right reserved to the military.

Yeah, but the govt provides a flag to veterans.

I would support the WASP proposal if and only if the Merchant Marine sailors get afforded the same honor. I can't imagine what it was like seeing ships around you being torpedoed by submarines in the North Atlantic or shark infested Pacific. Both the WASP and MM were heroes but if there's not space for both, I don't think the rule should be changed.

I actually think it needs to be more restrictive than it is. Only those who served in the military while in combat. At the rate we're going, it won't be long before there's any room left.

Don't know why people complain about where they can and can't be buried anyway. As if there's status even in death. Plenty of great warriors buried in other cemeteries around the country that had no desire to go to Arlington.

Reactions: Tim
It's the pettiness at the Pentagon that is so infuriating about this. Congress passed a law to clearly define the WASPs as eligible and the pentagon lawyers now say that the law doesn't apply to Arlington as it is not administered by the VA.

I would support the WASP proposal if and only if the Merchant Marine sailors get afforded the same honor. I can't imagine what it was like seeing ships around you being torpedoed by submarines in the North Atlantic or shark infested Pacific. Both the WASP and MM were heroes but if there's not space for both, I don't think the rule should be changed.
Exactly. I'm getting a bit tired of people trying to make this out to be some sexist thing. It has absolutely nothing to do with the fact they are women.

Back