Fellow pilots and how to recognize them at dog training

GreatLakesFlying

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Leo
LEO_0854.jpg

Meet Mina. She's 5 months old, a shelter rescue, and has lived with us for the past 3 months. Mina is in basic obedience training and of course, we are in attendance as well. There are 6 other puppies in the class, with their human guardians.

Yesterday, the trainer was showing us how to dissipate puppy excitement, ie how to train the puppy not to jump up every time we come home to her. The trick is to train dogs to do a couple of turns on the spot; that seems enough to take their mind away from jumping up.

So the trainer takes one dog to show us the command.

Spin,
says the trainer, twisting a treat over the dog's nose. Power-off, says one dog guardian. Aileron neutral, says his spouse, laughing. Rudder opposite, says I. My spouse is rolling her eyes. The trainer looks perplexed. I was kind of expecting a fourth person to say "elevator forward", but it turns out there were only three pilots in a group of 12 dog guardians.

The four of us are flying to 05C tomorrow for lunch and to talk dogs. ETA 1830Z if you care to join us.

View attachment 69272

Meet Mina. She's 5 months old, a shelter rescue, and has lived with us for the past 3 months. Mina is in basic obedience training and of course, we are in attendance as well. There are 6 other puppies in the class, with their human guardians.

Yesterday, the trainer was showing us how to dissipate puppy excitement, ie how to train the puppy not to jump up every time we come home to her. The trick is to train dogs to do a couple of turns on the spot; that seems enough to take their mind away from jumping up.

So the trainer takes one dog to show us the command.

Spin,
says the trainer, twisting a treat over the dog's nose. Power-off, says one dog guardian. Aileron neutral, says his spouse, laughing. Rudder opposite, says I. My spouse is rolling her eyes. The trainer looks perplexed. I was kind of expecting a fourth person to say "elevator forward", but it turns out there were only three pilots in a group of 12 dog guardians.

The four of us are flying to 05C tomorrow for lunch and to talk dogs. ETA 1830Z if you care to join us.

With only three pilots, you should have used Beggs.

Rich

Back