Fell asleep to Sportys - AGAIN!

RalphInCA

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
RalphInCA
Has anyone successfully ever gotten through all the videos on the Sportys Instrument training?

I fall asleep, almost every time I watch them and even when not asleep, my mind wanders contiuosly.

I think I chose badly, should have gone with Martha and John, even if they are kind of corny and their videos look dated.

What's keeping you from switching?

I find videos do that to me. They also take a long time. That's why I don't like them. I can read much more effectively.

I am studying for it now. I tried Rod Machado's book, but I have gone back to Jeppessen. I don't do well with instructional video, either. A lot of stuff seems like rehash and also repetitive, but I guess that's how it works. I do a lot of testing for work, so I am used to working from a book.

Has anyone successfully ever gotten through all the videos on the Sportys Instrument training?

I fall asleep, almost every time I watch them and even when not asleep, my mind wanders contiuosly.

I think I chose badly, should have gone with Martha and John, even if they are kind of corny and their videos look dated.

I do it, too. But, I also found I did the same for the King samples I saw, too. I think it has more to do with how much stinking information there is!

I had Sportys IR on my ipad. I took it to the gym and rode the bike while watching.
Or just watch 1-3 videos at a time. you cant binge watch that ***** like a tv series. your brain will fry.

I know more about the Riverton VOR approach than I will ever need to know. :D

I too have a wandering mind when trying to watch instructional videos.

Little tip that might help - borrow from the local library instead of buying !

RalphInCA, I fall sleep a lot quicker to John and Martha than I do to Sportys ;-) This is seriously the way I picked the "winner" between the two... on the bright side, falling asleep is now quick and painless!

I have the Sportys IR videos. I believe they are an FAA-approved sleep aid.

I studied some videos as part of my PPL training. Built myself a truly ghetto fabulous treadmill desk and it worked wonderfully. I'd walk at 2-3.5 mph and so I got a little bit of exercise. Got to where I could read POA and other forums, and even type a little up to 2.5 mph! A good day saw 6-8 miles.

But the major benefit was tremendously increased focus and reduction of distraction. I believe it's because some amount of brain power was used to coordinate walking and avoid falling. Therefore, I had much less tendency for my mind to wander or get bored.

I may get another treadmill desk when I resume my IFR training.

Attachments

• treadmill desk.JPG
    treadmill desk.JPG
    79.9 KB · Views: 65

Yes, three people have. Two of them were editors of the videos and the third was an insomniac with masochistic tendencies...

I studied some videos as part of my PPL training. Built myself a truly ghetto fabulous treadmill desk and it worked wonderfully. I'd walk at 2-3.5 mph and so I got a little bit of exercise. Got to where I could read POA and other forums, and even type a little up to 2.5 mph! A good day saw 6-8 miles.

But the major benefit was tremendously increased focus and reduction of distraction. I believe it's because some amount of brain power was used to coordinate walking and avoid falling. Therefore, I had much less tendency for my mind to wander or get bored.

I may get another treadmill desk when I resume my IFR training.

Outstanding

I always pointed out that I slept with Martha King.

(John actually thought that was hysterically funny).

I watched them through 3 times during my training... As mentioned I kept it to 30 min viewing sessions, also took notes.

Last edited:
The Insturment videos are rather intense. Probably had to watch each a few times and only in short spurts. The PPL videos were less intense and more friendly to "binge watching."

I bought both King and Sportys IFR videos.

They're both alright, as mentioned... Can't really pay attention for any longer than an hour at a time.

I couldn't get through the Sporty's PPL training videos when it came to weather and metars. That weather guy put me to sleep every time. I decided to give MZeroA.com a try to help me get through the course and was glad I did. Jason Shappert is good. His lessons are not long winded either. He isn't cheap, but it was well worth the money for me.

For those that fell asleep watching the instructional videos: Do you ever fall asleep watching a movie or TV show? If so, maybe trying the watch instructional videos isn't the best thing for you. (btw - maybe try watching in shorter chunks of time).

Reading this thread, I realized that I have never fallen asleep watching a DVD or movie or TV show. And yes, my Lazy Boy chair is really comfortable...

I used the King videos for my A&P. John wasn't bad to listen to but Martha was tough to keep awake. The A&P is three tests all as tough as the Instrument or commercial. I did them all and the practical and oral in 6 weeks. Been almost a year I'm still recovering. Don

One way to stay awake during the King videos is make it a game to count how many times John and/or Martha's hair changes during the show. You can tell where the edits are where they inserted new or updated material.

:D
Aside from that, the info they present is well done.

The King videos do get the info to you. I got over 90 on all three of the A&P tests. Don

I did the King vids and scored well on my IR written.

But imagine the nightmares induced by falling asleep to Martha King! Martha squawking something about the Daisetta vortac in front of a giant evil CDI... :yikes: :D

I have not tried Sporty's but John and Martha put me in a coma.

David

Just finished instrument written with kings. These seemed better than the private course or maybe I was just used to it. The horrible voice overs to update the info made me laugh

Fell asleep to Sportys - AGAIN!

I am working my way through their VFR Communications video and have the same problem. For me what helps is watching the video in 30 minute blocks then take a break and do something physical: go for a walk, stretches, etc., and give your mind time to process what you just learned.

I always pointed out that I slept with Martha King.

By that standard I have to ask did you ever fall asleep when John was talking? On second thought I don't need to know that. ;)

I did the King vids and scored well on my IR written.

But imagine the nightmares induced by falling asleep to Martha King! Martha squawking something about the Daisetta vortac in front of a giant evil CDI... :yikes: :D

Her hair always keeps me awake, and SCARED! :eek:

I am biased, but there is a potential problem with straight video-based teaching. They are fun to watch, easy to consume, but lack interactivity. It makes it easy to confuse entertainment with learning.

Videos are great at demonstrating, but I believe they are not necessarily the best format for knowledge transfer. Watch an instructional video, one of the better ones on YouTube, for say ten minutes on a topic that you know little or nothing about. Then immediately at the end, write down a detailed list of what you learned. You probably picked up on the high spots and overall topics. The video was fun to watch, professionally created, but did you actually learn any specifics with just one viewing?

Back