Feline Allergies and Flying

U

Unregistered

I'm a sport pilot who recently started dating a woman who has three absolutely adorable cats. Unfortunately, my histamine responses don't consider them (especially their saliva) so adorable.

I'm looking at various methods to cope with this, including OTC drugs such as Allegra and Alavert. I've never tried the former, but have had decent luck on Alavert - though it's better for hay fever, et al than cat allergies.

More than likely I'll seek out an allergist, and a shot to counter the allergic responses. I've found extensive research on PoA and elsewhere about OTC meds, including the numerous advisories against using Claritin-D (which seems to work best of all the remedies I've tried so far, and while I haven't noticed any ill-effects I recognize they absolutely could be there, with any med.)

Although we're under the veil of anonymity here, let me stress that I have not flown as PIC while on ANY allergy meds without following the recommended guidance on waiting periods following the last dosage. I take these things very seriously... and if it comes it, my pilot license comes before the woman (though of course I'd like to keep both in my life, LOL.)

. . . and if it comes it, my pilot license comes before the woman (though of course I'd like to keep both in my life, LOL.)

I don't know about the FAA isssues. Others will chime in about that, but I do know about cats, and to a much lesser extent; women.
I don't blame you at all for choosing flying over a woman with cats. But if the woman considers getting rid of her cats for your sake, run away. She will drop you to at the next sign of something that excites her.

Oh, and generally an allergest will try to set you up with a loooooooong series of immune stimulus shots rather than something that will temporarily alleviate the symptoms. If your insurance covers it then go for it. I am allergic to cats and I own a cat-only veterinary hospital. I have been getting the "shots" for several years. I sure hope I can stop them soon. If I EVER considered getting rid of our cats, I would be sleeping in the dog house immediately. And I don't even have a dog house, or a dog.

Last edited:
Have you always been alergic to cats? Or is the alergic response occuring with these cats?

Since I see the word "recently" in you post, I'd give your body a chance to build up a resistance to what ever triggers your allergies.

I've had a past reaction to longer hair cats that eventually diminished to nothing. So I'm curious if this might work out for you too.

NASCAR driver and Citation pilot Carl Edwards is featured in Claritin-D TV ads as taking it and flying his jet, so I'm not sure where you're getting your concerns about it. In any event, wait for Bruce Chien to weigh in when he gets home from work later this evening.

Claritin D is completely permissible, and if it works, use it.
Or dump the cats.
Or dump the girl if her cats are more important to her, than you are.

My oh my, I really don't have the "dear Abby" touch.....

There really isn't much choice here. Life is just choices, one after another.

OP here, thanks for the advice everyone, and especially Dr. Chien.

I've always been allergic to cats (although not nearly as bad now as when I was a kid) and, if mitigation options are available, I would greatly prefer to keep the woman AND her cats in my life. I also don't want to put her in the position of deciding between us.

I don't know about the FAA isssues. Others will chime in about that, but I do know about cats, and to a much lesser extent; women.
I don't blame you at all for choosing flying over a woman with cats. But if the woman considers getting rid of her cats for your sake, run away. She will drop you to at the next sign of something that excites her.

Oh, and generally an allergest will try to set you up with a loooooooong series of immune stimulus shots rather than something that will temporarily alleviate the symptoms. If your insurance covers it then go for it. I am allergic to cats and I own a cat-only veterinary hospital. I have been getting the "shots" for several years. I sure hope I can stop them soon. If I EVER considered getting rid of our cats, I would be sleeping in the dog house immediately. And I don't even have a dog house, or a dog.

On general principle I wouldn't date someone who'd give up their pets "for me" - even if I didn't like their pets.

There's more than one way to skin a cat, and they are all acceptable. I know I will get hell for that but I couldn't resist.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back