Feedback on Medical

FLJim

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
FLJim
I've recently started working on my PPL. Eager to get things lined up I started with a visit to an AME. My BP was borderline and I'm working on improving that. I had 3 other things I included in my online form when scheduling my visit:

1. Arterial bypass due to a motorcycle accident when I was 18 (25 years ago).
2. Surgery to remove cancer tumor from my bladder (3 years ago)
3. Passed out in the dentist chair during surgical procedure (last year). It resulted in the dentist calling 911 and sending me to the ER. The diagnosis was vegal.

I don't take any regular medication and no other hospital visits or medical problems.

The AME I went to insisted I needed to provide medical records from my surgery...no other major discussions. He said he had 2 weeks to submit the report from my visit so I started working on getting the records. Unfortunately, the records are paper only and will take a few weeks to get. In the meantime the AME's office called after a week and said they couldn't wait and were submitting...so now it has been deferred to the FAA.

My first question is what should I expect next.

Second question...is it normal for a doctor to want to see a report from a surgery 25 years ago? Just seems excessive considering there are no current side effects.

Thanks for the feedback!

your fainting spell is called vaso-vagal syncope aka fainting. the nerve that controls that is the vagus. the FAA will ask for the some of the records the AME wanted ... but records from 25 years ago may be hard to come by. This is why i usually state the facts and wait for the FAA to spell out what they want. The AME does have just 2 weeks to submit the exam once it is opened by him ... the end result is your are fine. you will get said letter ~ 3 to 6 weeks. You can continue your flying lessons up to solo. When you get the letter and have assembled them as best you can send them in one mailing to the address they provide. With the info you have provided i see no problems for you. Keep us posted.

We get one week for student pilot certificates, 14 days for known pilots. That all is going to change May 1 when AMEs will no longer issue student pilot certs and we have to put our students in IACRA and then wait for TSA to vet. It the history is clear and the family doc make it clear you are not being followed for CAD, are otherwise robust, and the records support you might get away without the stress treadmill/holter and echo.

But Bruce, those tests are so much fun!!!!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Hey, Bruce. In the new scheme you'll still hand over a medical certificate to the new applicant (barring any adverse diagnosis). It just isn't a student pilot certificate which as to be issued by Joklahoma City? Are you obliged to do the IACRA stuff or do you just do that as a service to your patients?

I think the new IACRA Student Pilot applications go into effect 1 April.
I knew AMEs were no longer able to issue the student pilot certificate, I did not realize it was 1 May.
I thought it had the same date.

Actaully it will be on the day they delete the student pilot cert from the AME website. This sort of change has a history of many many "deadline" dates, and many, many postponements. "We shall see:.

We'll see if the new student pilot app in IACRA works after 1 Apr. I know a few CFIs that are keeping the FSDO busy this week. Glider students, no medical required.

Assuming no impediment to passing it, is it more advantageous to get a student medical now, or wait for the new rule?

Assuming no impediment to passing it, is it more advantageous to get a student medical now, or wait for the new rule?

I believe that under the new rule, there will be no expiration date on a Student Pilot certificate.

Rich

Correct, certificates issued after April 1 (the new ones) will not expire. Those issued prior match the expiry times of the third class medical.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I have received the letter from the FAA and they are requesting everything. A couple follow on questions:

1. The hospital where I had my surgery 25 years ago no longer has the records. Should I be worried?
2. The letter indicates they want feedback from my treating physician. I have an appointment with my normal doctor to review everything, but I'm wondering if they want information from the doctors who treated the cases. For example, I no longer have a relationship with the doctor who removed the bladder tumor. Do I have to track that doctor down, or is feedback from my normal doctor sufficient?

Thank you!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back