Feds Capitulate to Santa Monica

Someone needs to drive out to 29 Palms, grab a couple of those protected turtles, and build a hatching sanctuary for them at the end of the runway. If those damn things can stop the Marine Corps from training, then they sure as sh-t will stop them from shortening the runway.

Could we just skip the California-bashing, and stick to the subject of the thread?
I live in California. I love most things about California. Just having a little fun to offset a very unfortunate situation which doesn't have many more details than what's been posted.

If we can't laugh, then life suuuuuuccckkkksss

I live in California. I love most things about California. Just having a little fun to offset a very unfortunate situation which doesn't have many more details than what's been posted.

I love when people talk trash about my state. I have my complaints too. Housing prices and cost of living is insane. Why? Because everyone wants to live here, despite its many faults.

I love when people talk trash about my state. I have my complaints too. Housing prices and cost of living is insane. Why? Because everyone wants to live here, despite its many faults.

I like it also when people trash Alabama. My response is "good, so you won't be moving here then". Usually ticks 'em off. ;)

I don't think that is it Phoenix. With the vast potential of that state, tourism and TV-Film production, and shear population, California should be easily in the black every year. Just need better fiscal responsibility.

On the airport note: the more relievers fields that are closed there will probably be a decrease in business/tourism. If I were rich and in business, I'd hate to land at LAX or worse and have to drive LA freeways for business near the old Santa Monica airport:(

Yeah, I don't mind people poking fun at the Republik of Kalifornia, as long as it's good-natured ribbing. It crosses the line when it becomes mean spirited.

I don't go out of my way to trash-talk other states. Live and let live!

I don't think that is it Phoenix. With the vast potential of that state, tourism and TV-Film production, and shear population, California should be easily in the black every year. Just need better fiscal responsibility.

On the airport note: the more relievers fields that are closed there will probably be a decrease in business/tourism. If I were rich and in business, I'd hate to land at LAX or worse and have to drive LA freeways for business near the old Santa Monica airport:(
I suspect that the number of people who travel by general aviation is a very small percentage of the total.

His point was to make a dig at "unnecessary government regulation". Cmon we are pilots. Educated individuals. We can converse and debate without the kinds of digs and slurs all over social media these days.

Your mom says we can't... tell her I said hi....

lol

I'm concerned about the precedent the "deal" to close KSMO in 2028 sets. KSMO is a major regional GA airport serving a large area from about LAX to the south to Van Nuys to the NE. Nearly all bizjets will need to go elsewhere (correct me if I'm wrong but I believe a 4000-5000 ft minimum runway length is a condition of their insurance policies) and this will indeed severely--and perhaps fatally--impact Atlantic Aviation. I suppose this means any local airport authority can now play hardball with the FAA and, within a couple years of bickering, eliminate jets/jet noise from their airport. Meanwhile, they can refuse to accept additional FAA funds while traffic languishes, the airport becomes ever less viable, and finally we lose again to "redevelopment." I believe this bad deal occurred because AOPA and others unwisely promoted a local referendum on the airport, then discovered voters preferred airport closure. My guess? I think the FBO/flight school American Flyers will be allowed to remain in business for awhile but we'll see.

Don

I suspect that the number of people who travel by general aviation is a very small percentage of the total.

Not really about the overall volume. I flew into an airport the other day in Texas oil country. Not a plane on the ramp and no one coming or going. But they had two huge, new hangers on the field full of expensive stuff.

Rich people and large companies like their private jets. Not beyond the realm of possibility to see lack of access discourage larger companies from coming into the area.

Not really about the overall volume. I flew into an airport the other day in Texas oil country. Not a plane on the ramp and no one coming or going. But they had two huge, new hangers on the field full of expensive stuff.

Rich people and large companies like their private jets. Not beyond the realm of possibility to see lack of access discourage larger companies from coming into the area.

That's what I was getting at in my original message, but Palmpilot was looking at volume only. Carlsbad NM FBO was purchased by Chandler, an older gentlemen billionaire (yes with a B) to park his fleet. If you ever stop in, ask them and if they'll give you a tour of his taxidermy area (upstairs), the number of exotics up there and his taxidermy costs would purchase several of our AC. He and his wife are old, but she actually has a couple of dragsters she races, sending the crew out ahead and she flies to the race to drive. People with this kind of money don't spend like we do ... and if they can't get quick access, they don't spend.

That's what I was getting at in my original message, but Palmpilot was looking at volume only....

I was looking at the tourism half of this statement:

...On the airport note: the more relievers fields that are closed there will probably be a decrease in business/tourism....

I agree that closing relievers has SOME effect on business (although I think there are other issues that are more important), but I think its effect on tourism would be a drop in the bucket.

Back