Feds Capitulate to Santa Monica

I wonder how long it will take before there's an overrun from an aircraft trying to push the limits of the runway.

The article claims that President Trump could override the agreement, but I'm not so sure, because it appears that the written consent required in the 1948 instrument of transfer has now been given:

"(6) That no property transferred by this instrument shall be used, leased, sold,
salvaged, or disposed of by" the City "for other than airport purposes without the
written consent of the Civil Aeronautics Administrator . . . ."​

We are likely to soon find out the limits of Executive Orders, one way the agreement could be "overridden".

I wonder how long it will take before there's an overrun from an aircraft trying to push the limits of the runway.

City would like that probably. Then they'd have a reason to start pushing the airport as unsafe and should be closed.

lol at the 'but turnip fill fix EVERYTHING!' mentality...

Sucks. That's a great airport, close to a few of my customers. Only a matter of time before it spreads to Van Nuys, etc.

For the legal beagles here.....I was under the impression that if you took federal money for airport improvements you had to keep the airport open for a predetermined length of time? Isn't this contrary to the law?

For the legal beagles here.....I was under the impression that if you took federal money for airport improvements you had to keep the airport open for a predetermined length of time? Isn't this contrary to the law?

The predetermined length is 2028 according to the agreement with the FAA.

The predetermined length is 2028 according to the agreement with the FAA.

So basically the great compromise is the minimum allowed by law and with a shorter runway....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Two government bureaucracies negotiating with each other never turns out well for the constituency.

i just hope any companies that are based in santa monica that have their flight departments affected, just pack up the company and leave....
screw CA and governor moonbeam.
bob

lol -- anyone with any sense recognizes it's a bad situation for the airport. NBAA/AOPA: "Airport to remain open through 2028"....gotta give the spin guy a raise.
Yeah, but "closes tomorrow" would be a lot worse.

i just hope any companies that are based in santa monica that have their flight departments affected, just pack up the company and leave....
screw CA and governor moonbeam.
bob
The State of California is not who is closing the airport. It's the City of Santa Monica, aided and abetted by the feds.

Yeah, you might disturb the nesting grounds of the double-breasted mattress flapper. Or something. :D

Yeah it's a shame that Nixon creating the EPA means we still have the bald eagle... such pests...

Not his point....

His point was to make a dig at "unnecessary government regulation". Cmon we are pilots. Educated individuals. We can converse and debate without the kinds of digs and slurs all over social media these days.

Excerpt:
"The runway will be immediately reduced to 3,500 feet, substantially reducing jet traffic and commercial charters."

So, no doubt what the city's intent is. Immediately stop the jet traffic.

Next question: will the city bring out bulldozers right away, or just displace the threshold?

From what I have heard, the runway shortening isn't scheduled to occur for at least 30 days.

Source: http://www.surfsantamonica.com/ssm_...t_Santa_Monica_Airport_Could_Be_Canceled.html

Side note: Does anyone actually buy-in to the idea that the airport will be converted to a park? Any real estate west of the 405 in guaranteed to be gobbled up by a developer.

From what I have heard, the runway shortening isn't scheduled to occur for at least 30 days.

Source: http://www.surfsantamonica.com/ssm_...t_Santa_Monica_Airport_Could_Be_Canceled.html

Side note: Does anyone actually buy-in to the idea that the airport will be converted to a park? Any real estate west of the 405 in guaranteed to be gobbled up by a developer.

They need to design the new runway and taxiway configuration, and then they need to provide the FAA 30 days notice. The city manager was saying it would take 3-6 months at the city press conference. If someone sues--on either side of the dispute--things could take longer.

The city manager was saying it would take 3-6 months at the city press conference.

That's believable.

What I find interesting about it is that he contradicts the city's news release, which said the runway would be reduced "immediately".

Could we just skip the California-bashing, and stick to the subject of the thread?

The only way a reversal will happen is with an airport-friendly city council being elected. That's what saved Oceanside Airport, (KOKB). It was slated to become a Costco parking lot while a weekly swap meet at the defunct drive-in theater continued.

The politics-free PoA is wonderful. Wherever it may be hiding.

Probably a small park, surrounded by a thousand homes, or whatever zoning allows. Or they might change the zoning on a whim.

What was once El Toro MCAS is now the "Great Park," which is really the "Great Housing Tract." They did put a high school in there, which counts for something.

Back