FedEx is looking for a Systems Engineer

kontiki

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Kontiki
Typical aviation experience requirement is 4 years min and A&P helps. From what I heard over a few beers, of last 15 applicants, none had airline experience. The current opening is in the Service Engineering group, a support group for Mx. It's a 24x7 operation. Mgrs sent an email asking if anyone knew anyone. Submit applications on line. I'm a company fan. After 3 passenger carriers, FDX saved my retirement.

It would help to know how they define "systems engineer", his duties and responsibilities. Also, location is a huge factor.
Without more input, this is a lost endeavor.

It would help to know how they define "systems engineer", his duties and responsibilities. Also, location is a huge factor. Without more input, this is a lost endeavor.

Point taken. Our Service Engineering group responds to Mx requests in the following ATA subjects to help them get past a work stoppage or get an airplane back in service.

Systems provides initial response to ATA 21, ATA 26, ATA 27, ATA 28, ATA 29, ATA 30, ATA 32, ATA 38 requests. Every shift is also staffed with a Powerplant Engineer, a Structures, and an Avionics Engineer. Everyone just works together as required.

Located in MEM. Salary position, decent pay, but because there is a lot of opportunity for extra hours covering other shifts (small team), there is pay for working extra hours. Most folks work 4x10 or 3x12 days.

Come the end of your shift, next engineer picks it up, you go home. It's nonstop. Customers are anywhere in the globe. Also 10% or 15% pay bump for 2nd or 3rd shift.

Be advised I am in no way an official spokesperson for the company, and am in no way officially involved with staffing activity.

Last edited:
Sounds like a fun job (thank you for the details) but MEM is not a desirable location for our family. Maybe they'll have an opening somewhere along the East Coast eventually.

Sounds like a fun job (thank you for the details) but MEM is not a desirable location for our family. Maybe they'll have an opening somewhere along the East Coast eventually.

I think working there is fun. Over the course of a week, I find myself being drug into all manner of technical problems across 7 airplane models.
Last week it was power generation, ACARS, mandatory FDR parameters, tripped breakers, cargo loading systems, transponders, engine oil clog systems, 10 hour shifts go by fast.
Memphis is not great. I think that fact contributed to the offer I got over 10 years ago. I got a 30% raise over what Delta was paying me (Delta was just starting to float rumors of cuts to prep for bankruptcy). There was also a good recruitment bonus and move package. Every year but 1, I've seen a raise of a few percent, and every year but one we get an incentive check based on company, division, team and individual performance. Last years check was unusually hefty, about $8k. Many people have come, and wife makes them leave. We all gotta do what we gotta do though.

Last edited:
Back