FedEx 757 Gear-Up Landing at CHA

kayoh190

Administrator
Management Council Member
Display Name

Display name:
Kayoh@190
Well done by the crew - wonder what happened?

Lol! I just flew out of CHA today. I was wondering what the captain meant when he said “FEDEX had a fiasco at the departure end of rwy 20.” Had no idea that happened. I guess that’s why we were late getting off.

Yeah, it’s been all the chatter over here today. Evidently, it was a flap miscompare which seemingly turned into a gear issue. Glad everyone is OK! The video of the incident was quite hard to watch for a local. Nobody ever likes to watch stuff like that at their local airport.

Drove by it this evening. Pretty impressive. How do they remove a disabled aircraft of that size?

Not to completely derail the thread...

But I just noticed it says FedEx Express on the side (and engines). So Federal Express Express?
That piece of redundancy came when FedEx bought a trucking company (Roadway Express) and renamed it FedEx Ground. I guess Ground made more sense than FedEx Slow or whatever.

I just want to tell you both good luck. We're all counting on you.

Well done by the crew - wonder what happened?

Now we have pictures and videos of how the delivery boxes are getting damaged and destroyed.

Gonna say that those packages suffered far fewer G's in that accident than they get between the delivery truck and my porch.
I was at CMI one foggy morning and the Shorts Skyvan that regularly delivers UPS boxes to DNV diverted there. About 30m later a UPS truck showed up and they unloaded the plane. The pilots would take a big mesh bag of boxes, and chuck it out of the side of the plane as far as they could, usually making it about 10' or so. Then the truck guys would pick it up and throw it the rest of the way into the back of the truck. Every beat up box is ever received suddenly made sense. I'm hoping they have a better system at their regular base, but I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't...

Wasn't FedEx in the news for another mechanical issues recently?

That piece of redundancy came when FedEx bought a trucking company (Roadway Express) and renamed it FedEx Ground. I guess Ground made more sense than FedEx Slow or whatever.

I just want to tell you both good luck. We're all counting on you.
maybe it’s because the trucks all had pollution control valve valves. :eek:

maybe it’s because the trucks all had pollution control valve valves. :eek:
If that's a PCV valve joke, it stands for Positive Crankcase Ventilation valve...

Only curious, would the pilots have to get approval from a supervisor for a gear-up landing? :rofl:

I was at CMI one foggy morning and the Shorts Skyvan that regularly delivers UPS boxes to DNV diverted there. About 30m later a UPS truck showed up and they unloaded the plane. The pilots would take a big mesh bag of boxes, and chuck it out of the side of the plane as far as they could, usually making it about 10' or so. Then the truck guys would pick it up and throw it the rest of the way into the back of the truck. Every beat up box is ever received suddenly made sense. I'm hoping they have a better system at their regular base, but I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't...

I confess. When I first started working in Alaska I was very gentle with the mail bags, trying not to set them on the dirt as was the rule back then, and carefully arranging them to fit in the space I had in the plane.

My last few years in Alaska I would throw, kick and use my boot to stuff as many mail bags as I could stuff in the plane, and try not to let them fall into the mud puddle under the plane.

Fragile meant that the package was not thrown until all the other bags were loaded, and any mud would be wiped off...

This package had "FRAGILE", and "THIS SIDE UP" stickers all over it...

Not once in the video was the up side up. Not even when he finished.

Last edited:
Did they foam the runway? If not, why?

Foaming the runway really was found to do nothing. We've got great fire video of jet a burning like crazy on a sea of foam. What you want is the fire trucks there to get AFFF on any flames as soon as they appear.

Found to do nothing and, IIRC, it increased stopping distance because of reduced friction.

There are two kinds of FedEx pilots. . . .
That's almost as bad as the FedEx pilot friend's joke (whose father flew for Northwest in the day): WHat's the difference between a NW pilot and a FedEx pilot.

Long after the emergency existed and they'd been prompted several times by ATC. They had an emergency when they first asked to turn back to the airport.
So you think that every time an aircraft wants to return to the departure airport it's an emergency?

Back