Feb Av Safety story - Make Better Landings

flyersfan31

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Freiburgfan31
Anyone read the latest AvSafety?

I've been through the "Make Better Landings" article by Rich Stowell a few times already. I'm stuck on the "rudder dithering" suggestion. I take it the point of rudder dithering is to stop you from futzing with ailerons (i.e. making constant corrections down final), without affecting your glideslope and alignment. That is, to distract you with something innocuous (small foot movements) to prevent you from making larger, less innocuous movements. It wasn't really explicitly stated as such.

Any comments?

I don't get it Andrew when ever I fly with you you always tell me your landings are prefect?

I'm stuck on the "rudder dithering" suggestion. I take it the point of rudder dithering is to stop you from futzing with ailerons (i.e. making constant corrections down final), without affecting your glideslope and alignment.

Was this with reference to VFR or IR approaches? Many doubleeyes recommend correcting course with rudder only once inside the FAF. When I remember to do this, I get good ILS approaches, when I try correcting with coordinated rudder and aileron, I over correct.

VFR, I just fly to the threashold, and don't really think abouy the corrections...:dunno:

Heh, heh, the landings are perfect as long as nobody is watching!

This was standard, VFR pattern stuff. Basic better landing suggestions. Little wiggles of the rudder, such that you don't affect heading. This is different from actually making course corrections.

IIRC, Stowell teaches in a taildragger...many taildragger instructors use this technique to remind people that their feet are actually there to use on the landing.

I'm not a big fan of the technique personally, but I know of a lot of big-time tailwheel instructors who are, so it apparently can do something for you.

Fly safe!

David

Little wiggles of the rudder, such that you don't affect heading. This is different from actually making course corrections.

But rudder wiggles DO affect heading. The rudder does NOT make the plane fly sideways...

Back