Feature request: Skyvector

flyingcheesehead

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
iMooniac
Since we are a flying site, I think it would be super-cool if we had the ability to add skyvector into a post. There's a very straightforward explanation of how their system works here:

http://skyvector.com/link.html

PoA could generate a unique chart name, and whatever vBcode could allow the user to set latitude, longitude, scale, size, and chart type.

It'd just be uber-cool. :yes:

Cool idea Kent.

A *bit* tricky because of the multiple parameters involved, but I've no doubt Jesse can figure it out. ;)

A *bit* tricky because of the multiple parameters involved, but I've no doubt Jesse can figure it out. ;)

Yeah, I was kinda wondering if vBcode allows parameters, ie

[SKYVECTOR HEIGHT="200" WIDTH="200" LAT="42.6" LONG="-89.5" SCALE="3"]

Does it? If so, it won't be too tough. If not, well, I'm sure there's a way. ;)

Yeah, I was kinda wondering if vBcode allows parameters, ie

[SKYVECTOR HEIGHT="200" WIDTH="200" LAT="42.6" LONG="-89.5" SCALE="3"]

Does it? If so, it won't be too tough. If not, well, I'm sure there's a way. ;)

Cool idea, Kent.

vbCode will accept a parameter, but I'm not sure if it will accept a NAMED parameter.

Code:
 You'll see THIS:  [QUOTE = "Joe"][/QUOTE]

But NOT this:  [QUOTE FROM="Joe"][/QUOTE]

It could be done this way (leave height/width off and let Jesse set those explicitly to fit the forum size):

Code:
[SKYVECTOR="LAT='42.6' LONG='-89.5' SCALE='3'"]

Or even, like the youTube tags, like this:

Code:
[SV]coords?lat=48.53&lon=-123.04&scale=3 [/SV]
or
[SV]code?id=KFHR&scale=3 [/SV]

I prefer the latter, as it lets you copy/paste as-is from the end of the "text links" code at the bottom of the SkyVector link generator page.

Last edited:
Or even, like the youTube tags, like this:

Code:
[SV]coords?lat=48.53&lon=-123.04&scale=3 [/SV]
or
[SV]code?id=KFHR&scale=3 [/SV]
I prefer the latter, as it lets you copy/paste as-is from the end of the "text links" code at the bottom of the SkyVector link generator page.

I think that is the key. Hard parameters and the poster only needs a simple link.

That would work but would seriously reduce the number of people who would be able to successfully leverage the code w/o a lot of help.

Unfortunately the capability on our part is constrained by the lack of dynamic sharing features on their part.

Unfortunately the capability on our part is constrained by the lack of dynamic sharing features on their part.

That sounds like it should have been in the final square of a Sunday Dilbert (TM, Copyright Scott Adams).

Back