FDC Notams

AlanM

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Needles
Before flying, I always check the FDC Notams for changes to IAPs. With a paper approach plate, it's easy to change any info on them, although it is a pain in the butt. However, I still haven't figured out a way to update the a/p's on ForeFlight. Any suggestions as to what other people do?

PS: Am I being too conservative in actually updating IAPs for FDC's? I've asked around at my airport and most people just don't bother doing updates -- is that the typical, but not legal, mindset????:dunno:

Before flying, I always check the FDC Notams for changes to IAPs. With a paper approach plate, it's easy to change any info on them, although it is a pain in the butt. However, I still haven't figured out a way to update the a/p's on ForeFlight. Any suggestions as to what other people do?

PS: Am I being too conservative in actually updating IAPs for FDC's? I've asked around at my airport and most people just don't bother doing updates -- is that the typical, but not legal, mindset????:dunno:

You can use the pencil draw icon on the top of the chart on the chart view to draw on the charts. There are a fairly complete set of shapes, lines, pencils, colors, backgrounds, text box and sticky note tools. I mark my charts up using these tools. This is what they are intended to be used for. See an example of my markup of a KFLD chart for the Oshkosh Fly In last year. I am old so I used a large font. :D

2014-11-20 08.10.31.png

Note that you need ForeFlight Pro to get that function, but if you do, it's fabulous for this task.

Nope.

PS: Am I being too conservative in actually updating IAPs for FDC's?
Absolutely not.

I've asked around at my airport and most people just don't bother doing updates -- is that the typical, but not legal, mindset????:dunno:
I'm sure a lot of people just put a note in their flight planning or something, which is perfectly fine as long as you remember it's there, and some don't even check, which isn't so good. In my paper chart days, I scribbled them in pencil on the chart (in case it was withdrawn before the next cycle's books came out), but the ForeFlight notes option seems the best choice available today.

With Foreflight 6.5 released today it now shows a red stripe with NOTAMs you can view while viewing the approach plate...

Went to the I pad air,to keep up with fore flight and the stratus two. So many changes so little time

Yep, very bad situation. The iPad upgraded just fine, but now ForeFlight is hosed. "There was an error loading your data, please install a clean version of this application."

Damn. :( :( :(

I did, and as usual they were very prompt with their answer... which was to upgrade to iOS 8.1.1. :(

I'm doing that now, and wondering if my iPad2 will be anything more than a paperweight when it's done. Sigh.

I was stuck with iOS 5.x and therefore a very old FF on an iPad Gen1.
I just upgraded to the Air2 and iOS 8.1 and now 8.1.1, running fine.

FF is still Ver 6.4, I suppose I'll see the FF upgrade later tonight.

It's even worse than I thought. My AT&T data card is hosed too. My Internet service went blooey about an hour ago and I tried restarting the downloads via the cell connection but no can do. Cellular data number is "unknown".:(:(

Sending this via my (Verizon) cellphone.

It's even worse than I thought. My AT&T data card is hosed too. My Internet service went blooey about an hour ago and I tried restarting the downloads via the cell connection but no can do. Cellular data number is "unknown".:(:(

Sending this via my (Verizon) cellphone.

Ouch! I've been holding on iOS 7 on my iPad 2 just because of this kind of stuff. But I use WingX Pro not FF.

Hope they get it all sorted out!

John

Back