FD or HITS: easier to use?

olasek

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
olasek
Flight Director or Highway-in-the-sky?

Whenever I read before in aviation literature about HITS I always thought it was the most impressive invention since the Gutenberg's type. But last night while playing with G1000 trainer I decided to hand-fly the same approach (with full procedure turn, etc.) twice - using the FD and then HITS. At the end I had little difficulty to judge which method was easier for me - FD. While using FD my corrections had to be much smaller and my heart beat was lower too throughout the approach. In my opinion FD works better on our current two dimensional PFDs, perhaps one day in the future if we have 3D holographic PFDs then HITS would win. What is your opinion?

Last edited:
I too prefer the flight director, but I need to give more time to HITS, as I've got so much time behind flight directors that I'm gonna be biased.

FD is much better for an old guy
I have used the Chelton HIT on a couple of King Airs
When hand flying in turb I felt like I was getting vertigo
a FD makes it much better because you don't too much info
to over load the little brain
Best
Peter Holman

I think when the HITS is projected on a HUD display right in front of your eyes it will be far superior.

I prefer HITS to FD. I find it far more precise, and with the string of boxes projecting into the distance, I feel that it provides better situational awareness.

One man's opinion.

Back