FCC Warns Against Foolishness on Guard

It gets annoying really quick. I've flown with captains who do that crap. What annoys me even more is guys who purposely transmit to block some a hole they don't like. I swear half the time I feel like I fly with a bunch of 5 year olds.

I'll listen to 121.5 on my radio and occasionally will take it off squelch to check for ELTs. I've noticed whenever I report ELTs and center queries other pilots they'll say they don't hear anything.

It gets annoying really quick. I've flown with captains who do that crap. What annoys me even more is guys who purposely transmit to block some a hole they don't like. I swear half the time I feel like I fly with a bunch of 5 year olds.

I'll listen to 121.5 on my radio and occasionally will take it off squelch to check for ELTs. I've noticed whenever I report ELTs and center queries other pilots they'll say they don't hear anything.
You have to take it off squelch to hear an ELT? Maybe I should be doing that.

It depends on how far away you are from the ELT. The received signal power goes as the inverse square of the distance.

Unless your right on top of the ELT it often won't be "loud" enough to break past the squelch floor. Plus it helps to roughly determine if your getting closer or further from the ELT.

I've always been able to hear ELTs from the surrounding area just fine through my GNS/GMA/Zulu 2

I've always been able to hear ELTs from the surrounding area just fine through my GNS/GMA/Zulu 2

You just haven't had the "fun" of looking for one with the tail of the airplane snapped off, the section rolled over, and the antenna snapped off underneath it, from many miles away, then. ;)

You just haven't had the "fun" of looking for one with the tail of the airplane snapped off, the section rolled over, and the antenna snapped off underneath it, from many miles away, then. ;)
Have you ever considered that they just don't want you to find them? She's just not that into you. ;)

Back