FCC institutes a new fine that will affect most American TV viewers

ScottM

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
iBazinga!
Announcing that it would no longer allow Americans to fall behind, the Federal Communications Commission introduced a plan Monday to levy steep fines on anyone failing to keep up with the nation's TV shows. "Our economy lost more than $200 billion in productivity this year with people taking time out of their day to explain what happened last night on Mad Men," FCC chairman Julius Genachowski said. "Staying abreast of popular culture is the responsibility of every citizen. Unless we're talking about a show like Weeds, which, frankly, hasn't been that good since season two." The agency confirmed penalties would be reduced for citizens who agree to issue a minimum of three Facebook posts stating their intention to finally catch up on True Blood this weekend

LINK

That sucks!

I am in big trouble. Haven't had TV for years, and my TV owning friends make it apparent to me!

We are buying a TV again so we can better view Netflix so that we can watch TV shows that the rest of America watched two or three seasons ago :rolleyes:

I'm really in big trouble.

I just started catching up with "How to Make in America" (and after watching the first episode I may just delete them) and I have the last two seasons of "Mad Men" saved up to watch.

What am I supposed to do when I have 5000 hours of storage space? I don't work that many hours in a year!

mikea;662455What am I supposed to do when I have 5000 hours of storage space? I don't work that many hours in a year![/QUOTE said:
Do they seriously intentionally make 5000 hours of tv recording capability for people to watch? That's 208 days of tv at 24 hrs a day. You'd have to watch tv almost 14 hours a day 365 days a year just to keep up.
That's just wrong.

I think the biggest problem with television programing is that it has finally reached the point where even the lowest common denominator finds it too stupid to be entertaining. It seems they have now geared all their programing to suit the mentality of drunks in bars.

It makes me wonder what it will be like when they gear it down below even the simple interest of a drunk. What will happen when bars don't even turn on the T.V.?

Our national security is threatened. How will wanna be office holders get our attention before an election? How will government communicate important stuff to us? Are we doomed because we find television too stupid to waste our time on?

We obviously need to pass more laws to shore up our television industry, like making it mandatory for prisoners and hospital patients to watch at least one hour of T.V. per day. This will cut down on crime and long hospital stays. It's a win win idea who's time has come.

John

Do they seriously intentionally make 5000 hours of tv recording capability for people to watch? That's 208 days of tv at 24 hrs a day. You'd have to watch tv almost 14 hours a day 365 days a year just to keep up.
That's just wrong.

Nobody ships that much, but a stock 1TB TiVo Premeire XL can store

My oldest HD has that plus 250GB which gets it to 1500 hours of SD. I'll put a 2TB drive in my new ones which will get them to 2500 SD hours. I currently have 9TB on the network outside of those which is, indeed, another 7000 hours. :tongue: But since I'm not totally insane, I have most of my saved stuff in HD which divides that by 8 to 9.

It not so much that you want to store 2 years worth of full time programming. You get obsessed with building a collection and you don't want things to get erased because you're out of space.

As above I have almost two copies of the entire 2nd and 3rd season of Mad Men. I'm free to catch good movies just to have them for when the mood hits or for guests. Example: I just stored all three Back to the Future movies from AMC and I just got Airplane!. If you rip a SD DVD it can take up 5GB.

Last edited:
We obviously need to pass more laws to shore up our television industry, like making it mandatory for prisoners and hospital patients to watch at least one hour of T.V. per day. This will cut down on crime and long hospital stays. It's a win win idea who's time has come.

John

Won't happen. Forcing them to watch TV would be cruel and inhumane punishment.
:wink2:

I have reached the point, finally, where I have no interest in any regularly-scheduled programming. Once Lost finished, I was done. Other than watching the odd Flyers game or Eagles game, and an occasional this or that on History/Discovery/NatGeo, my TV time is 0. I don't miss it, either.

"one of gender identity disorders, dressing in the clothes of the opposite sex.":blush:

In that case, pretty much the entire population of this country must be seriously messed up since that's what they do for hours every day.

In that case, pretty much the entire population of this country must be seriously messed up since that's what they do for hours every day.

No, that is just what TV makes one think they do. And reinforces to the few that actually do that it normal and ok and everyone is doing it.

Well I'm screwed, as the wife and I watch very little TV. What little we do watch is from the Beeb.

Right. None of us watch TV anymore. We sit at computers instead and let the internet take as much of our time as the networks used to. Sometimes it's hard to shut the thing off and go do something useful.

Dan

Right. None of us watch TV anymore. We sit at computers instead and let the internet take as much of our time as the networks used to. Sometimes it's hard to shut the thing off and go do something useful.

Dan

Computers are evil tv's.

My oldest HD has that plus 250GB which gets it to 1500 hours of SD. I'll put a 2TB drive in my new ones which will get them to 2500 SD hours. I currently have 9TB on the network outside of those which is, indeed, another 7000 hours. :tongue: But since I'm not totally insane, I have most of my saved stuff in HD which divides that by 8 to 9.

It not so much that you want to store 2 years worth of full time programming. You get obsessed with building a collection and you don't want things to get erased because you're out of space.

As above I have almost two copies of the entire 2nd and 3rd season of Mad Men. I'm free to catch good movies just to have them for when the mood hits or for guests. Example: I just stored all three Back to the Future movies from AMC and I just got Airplane!. If you rip a SD DVD it can take up 5GB.

Update. I just ran out of space on one disk. I'll be adding another 2TB drive sooner than I thought, but I need to manage it some. :crazy:

Back