FBOs holding airplanes hostage

We have a new security gate installed at our facility. For cars driving out just stop on it and it opens but if you are on foot there is a Hi-tech key hanging on the telephone pole. Its a steel trash can lid.

NC19143 said:
WE have commercial service by Kenmore Air, but we don't have any fence, gate, or any restrictions to the ramp or parking lot.

....snip....
Oh I forgot, the only fence is to keep the neighbors cows off the runway.

Cashmere is kinda like that, only no comm service. fence keeps the horses and orchard workers from straying too close. There is a nifty little sign threatening this and that. Wenatchee is served by Horizon. last time I was there, the gates were all open. There is a locked gate at the GA FBO. I think the unicom freq opens it up.

Ed Guthrie said:
No, I don't make this stuff up. The FAA would install the locks on airport perimeter fences without changing the factory code.

I worked at Kennedy Space Center in the 1980s and the access codes to the launch control facility were scribed under the cypher lock. All you had to do was look under to see what it was. It had been that way for decades.

jangell said:
I've never had a problem with my motorcycle.. I suspect with some of the new all plastic high tech four pound bikes though it could be an issue.

Left turn lane though.. That's a whole nother story.

Are you saying you have trouble activating the traffic sensor in the left turn lane with your bike? If so it's the same sensor as is used in the other lanes so I'd expect you'd have similar troubles there if it weren't for other traffic "assisting" you.

FEMA must be run by former FAA types.

They delivered tens of thousands of travel trailers to Katrina victims with only 3 different keylocks...

No sh!#er

Ed Guthrie said:
No, I don't make this stuff up. The FAA would install the locks on airport perimeter fences without changing the factory code.

lancefisher said:
Most airplanes are too far from the ground for the fuselage to have any effect, and the landing gear itself is probably too small. I've never tried this either (just speculating), but these same loops have trouble sensing motorcycles and never see something like a bicycle.

yes, height from the loop, but also the metal. A lot of motorcycles don't trip the lights due to high use of magnesium and aluminium alloys, which don't provide as nice of a "core" as a iron/steel car. The structure of my BMW is mostly alloy, with two small steel subframes that are fairly high off the road surface.

Tennesse has a rather forward law on the books that allows motorcycles to proceed thru a red light (after a full stop) if it is percieved that the sensor is not picking up the motorcycle.

This saves me lots of time on the morning commute.

lancefisher said:
Are you saying you have trouble activating the traffic sensor in the left turn lane with your bike? If so it's the same sensor as is used in the other lanes so I'd expect you'd have similar troubles there if it weren't for other traffic "assisting" you.
Yeah. I've had problems sometimes with a light just refusing to ever go green for me. I'll give it a little while and just go.

There is a law on the MN books somewhere for motorcycles that says that you can go if the sensor isn't picking you up. I don't remember how it's worded but it doesn't have a length of time to it.

I'm sure the left turn thing is normally an issue for me because there are no other vehicles to help me per say. I usually pull as far forward as I can with hopes that someone will get close enough to trip it.

When I was in Missouri in July attempting my five million mile ride. I ran into this problem. I came up to a stop light and waited and waited. It wasn't going green. There was a police officer sitting a block away facing me. I *really* did not want to go through the light and have him pull me over. I wasn't sure if there were any laws in Missouri to help me out. Plus this could have been a major delay. After a decent amount of time I ran through my options. I could either just go and maybe get pulled over. Or I could back up a little bit. Switch lanes and take a right hand turn. I thought about doing this but it seemed to me that if I did this he would think that I was trying to avoid him at all costs. I finally just went. As soon as I went the cop pulled behind me and followed me to the interstate.

Back