FBO tie down responsibilities

Tokirbymd

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Tokirbymd
Fly to KDTS a good bit. In my prior single. I would pull up to the FBO, they would later tow it down the south ramp and tie it down. Rampers were always careful and would occasionally text me pics of an old wing tip ding (crack on a faring I knew about) just to make sure I was aware of it, and to protect their a$$ if I complained later. They were even nice enough to grab a go pro off a wing mount one time and hold it for me. Plane always seemed securely tied down and well taken care of.

Now I have twin Seneca. Pull up the same, but they tow it to the north side with the other twins and corporate jets. When I come back, no tie downs on my plane, or any of the other dozen or so twins, light jets, vision jets, meridians, etc. I know my twin is a bit heavier but would still think it’s susceptible to microburst thunderstorms etc and at risk for blowing into adjacent planes that are VERY expensive (not to mention damaging my plane). I keep meaning to ask them about this, but is this standard practice not to tie down larger planes like twins and turbine singles?

but is this standard practice not to tie down larger planes like twins and turbine singles?

It has been for me, and usually chocks on the mains. Gotta look for one on the nose wheel as well, sometimes the line folks will slip one in.

I've only ever gotten FBO tie downs in 2 places: Amarillo Texas and Roswell New Mexico, and I think that's only because winds were 35-45kts. No where else has ever tied me down, just throw down a couple sets of chocks .

I’ve had an FBO tell me they were moving the plane tying me down only to find the plane not moved or tied down the next day. Not going back there.

Bigger places tend to just throw chocks under the Navion wheels, but I've seen the thing jump the chocks before. We were at our local EAA flyin and it was an incredibly gusty and cold day. My kids decided to stay inside the plane. I came out to wonder why the plane was tilted at a 45 degree angle to where I'd parked it. It weather vaned into the wind, jumping the chocks. My son got out, rechocked it and got back in.

Back