FBO Question

tngarner

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
tngarner
Hello,

I am a student pilot with a couple of cross country's under my belt. The other day my CFI and I flew and stopped at an FBO for the first time. It was great to see how that worked but I came away with a question.

Do you typically tip the guys on the line? My CFI said that he does not but then a few days later I was watching a couple of planes at the FBO next to my flight school and I did see that a couple of pilots were passing tips to the guys that were helping them.

I am huge on doing the right thing and if this is part of how these guys get compensated then I would want to do my part as well.

Appreciate any experience or what the general expectation is in the industry. Thanks!!!

For good service, I do like to tip, especially when they give "above and beyond" service (bad weather, help with bags, that sort of thing).

When we were moving my son to college, the two guys at Skyport who helped me get the refrigerator out of the plane (and all that other stuff) - you better believe I tipped them! They were life-savers. You'd be amazed at how much stuff will fit into a Bonanza, and it goes in a lot more easily than it comes out.

A tip for good or exceptional service is always appropriate IMO .

If your just getting fuel, I'd say no.

If you need oil, and he helps with finding a funnel, a clean rag, tire gage, etc... then yes.

Normally no.:nono:

This get's tossed around quite a bit. Prevailing opinion is that it is not expected but always appreciated. The more services you use, or the more favors provided to you by the line guys, the more likely you would tip.

Moving my plane out of an approaching storm, offering a courtesy car, helping my passengers with their bags, giving a lift to the terminal or train station--all of those are things I'd tip for. Full service gas? Not usually, but if I'm in a hurry and they hustle to get me on my way, yeah I'm going to slip some cash as I dart off.

Just popping in for a solo XC, no need or expectation to tip.

...Do you typically tip the guys on the line? My CFI said that he does not...

CFIs are notoriously cheap! :D

FWIW, as was noted above....For excellent service beyond basic fueling a small gratuity is appreciated by anyone on the ramp helping you.

Mike

It depends on what your flying, if your in a Gulfstream then you should tip, if your in a 172 then don't worry about it.

However if they prove to be extremely helpful then tip them even if your in a 172.

It depends on what your flying, if your in a Gulfstream then you should tip, if your in a 172 then don't worry about it.

However if they prove to be extremely helpful then tip them even if your in a 172.

I always wondered about whether the Gulfstream folks tip much. It occurred to me that the flight crew is typically salaried pros that aren't likely to tip and that the passengers are disengaged from various support activities. Does the typical private jet crew/pass tip at the typical FBO stop?

Personally I often tip when non-line stuff is provided by line people (bags, driving me around) or if non-line people like baggage handlers are involved.

RV10

And I wonder why 172 drivers ***** about bad service on Airnav.

I always wondered about whether the Gulfstream folks tip much. It occurred to me that the flight crew is typically salaried pros that aren't likely to tip and that the passengers are disengaged from various support activities. Does the typical private jet crew/pass tip at the typical FBO stop?

Not generally. They also leave the crew car messy with an empty tank of gas. Management makes sure they're treated well though because they pick which FBO fills the tanks.

I think the sweet spot for tipping are the owner operated aircraft like a Pilatus, Malibu/Meridian, higher end piston twins, and late model Cirrus. Bonus points if the pilot is accompanied by an attractive passenger without a ring.

Personally I often tip when non-line stuff is provided by line people (bags, driving me around) or if non-line people like baggage handlers are involved.

RV10

I know of a guy who private charters all his flights and tips the line guy a hundo.

RV10

Some companies will cover the amount their pilots tip. On the other hand my chief pilot for example hates tipping line guys, he'll probably fire me if he finds out that I tipped them, even if I used my own money.

A few month ago I was talking to some line guy who helped carry two bags for a Citation captain. Then the guy tipped him like $150.

RV10

I see a lot of the jet passengers tip in Destin. The flight crew will be in the cockpit going through the checklist while the passengers come out of the FBO onto the blue carpet where the line guys help them with any luggage and whatnot.

whenever i fly into providence KPVD i go to northstar aviation and they don't have a crew car. they have a van but an employee of theirs drives it. i usually go get dinner so i'll tip the guy a few bucks for picking us up and dropping us off

If there's no fuel purchased (just a local stop and go), then no.

If there's fuel purchased, I ask the lineman to clean the windscreen with Plexus and give him a five.
The plane gets fueled promptly, it's treated well, and they treat it and me well.

Once upon a time I was a supervisor at a high end FBO franchise.

There is no set standard for tipping, and it's pretty spotty. In no way is it regular income for those guys. Since they are somewhat infrequent, tail numbers that tip are generally remembered.

If you are just stopping buy for a few minutes and aren't requesting much, don't worry about it. If you're going to remain overnight, or you need services, a few $ never hurt anyone. If you plan to be a regular at a particular FBO, repeat tipping will typically improve the odds of receiving better service.

I agree that tipping for regular service doesn't seem to be the norm. However, one time LATE at night (10 PM, was doing night currency) I was taking a rental out and had trouble starting the engine. To avoid overheating the starter and making a bad situation worse I decided to let it sit for a bit. (I suspected it was flooded but it later turned out there was an issue with the fuel system, never found out how serious :yikes: ).

Anyway, it was breezy so I decided to tie the tail back down. Came out later and it started right up. Was just calling for taxi and a lineman walked in front of the plane with lighted batons and waved to me and then motioned at the tail. Huge face-palm moment. The dumb tie-down was still on and now I had to shut down, get out, un-tie, restart, etc. However, through a series of coordinated waves I idled the plane and he un-tied me. Gave him $10 when I got back on the ground for the excellent service.

Other than above and beyond the call of duty, I wouldn't tip. Hell, they get paid to hang around planes all day. :p

Last edited:
At FBO's, I tip for service above and beyond the minimum. If all they do is wave me into the spot and then walk away, no tips. If the line person waits until I shut down, helps me unload my gear, tie down and cover the plane (especially on a windy day), and load my gear into the car, there's a $10 tip in it for him/her. Something in between gets a fiver, more or less, depending.

Line people note: See the picture on the left? That's Grumman N22RL. :)

At FBO's, I tip for service above and beyond the minimum. If all they do is wave me into the spot and then walk away, no tips. If the line person waits until I shut down, helps me unload my gear, tie down and cover the plane (especially on a windy day), and load my gear into the car, there's a $10 tip in it for him/her. Something in between gets a fiver, more or less, depending.

That's about what I do. I'm N215TG but if you tip and otherwise smile, you are remembered and that's a nice thing.

I don't tip at my home base, but when I go somewhere I generally do, especially if they come out with the golf cart and/or help me unload bags.

I don't tip at my home base,...
Got back from a trip a year or two back one wintry evening and found that while the taxiways were plowed, my hangar was still snowed in. Line guy from the home 'drome FBO helped me dig my way in. You better believe I tipped him.

Not all the time.......

Stopped at Bryan Texas yesterday in the CJ-4 to pick up the bosses son from A&M for the Xmas holidays... Light rain and he bought 450 gallons of fuel... The line guy took minutes to meet us on the ramp and we were the only ones there... Two more city FBO workers sat on their ass in the FBO and watched the whole thing play out..... The didn't get a dime in tips either... Friggin lazy guv workers.... :mad2::mad:

Well yeah, if their work sucks then don't tip them, regardless what your flying.

RV10
Gulfstreams can be an interesting case no doubt. It really irks me when 3 people are out for 30+ minutes throwing bags and we don't even get a thank you, much less a tip. We had one regular customer who after the 1 passenger was off the pilots insisted on "helping" us put it in the hangar. It would go much faster if the Captain didn't do that, but for $500/night we could live with it. We'd usually get $80-120 putting it in, and the same when we pulled it out a week later. It's pretty hit or miss. We were really good for quick turns, typically if they called ahead we'd have the fuel done before the crew even got out of the restroom, and we were remembered for it and often tipped. Time is money to them.

What Ron said is basically what we did normally. Always waited until shutdown unless there was total chaos and a bunch of other airplanes waiting to be parked, always tied down airplanes and would help put covers on if I saw they were covering it. Always cleaned the window with Plexo and soft towels too. :yes:

I tip guys at home base occasionally, $5-10 a couple times a month. I get more prompt service that's for sure. :yes:

I tip guys at home base occasionally, $5-10 a couple times a month. I get more prompt service that's for sure. :yes:

This.
It's more important to me that the guys at my house remember me, than that the guys 300 miles away remember me.

I tip for finding a motel, or a mechanic. something that they usually might not do. the other day I had a line guy who wasn't so busy, and he waited a polite distance from the bird. I needed a qt of oil on the preflight, I had oil in the plane, but I bought a 20 dollar bottle of 50w anyway.

the point of tipping is to show appreciation for a service. normal duty, or otherwise.

Let me add something. Where I worked we split tips between all the line guys (the desk staff were typically not included except is odd circumstances or if there were like 4 line guys and we got a 5 or something) unless the tip made it so everyone got less than $1. If there was just an unusual amount of guys (6 or more) we'd just buy soda or something with it. If someone tipped $1-2 the person kept it. $1-2 was typical for rides in the van over the main terminal, but if you tip me $2 after I helped you unload 30 bags from your G5 it's an insult.

When I hauled ass to the airport to beat a hail storm to find that the line guys took my plane and stuck it in a hangar, you bet they got a tip from me.

When I hauled ass to the airport to beat a hail storm to find that the line guys took my plane and stuck it in a hangar, you bet they got a tip from me.

A lot of people would start screaming at the line guys, for towing their precious airplane without the pilot present. "I'd rather have it hailed on than you overstress my nose gear!" -- Been there, done that. Then at least half won't even pay for the hangar since they didn't ask for it... even after it starts hailing golf-balls. For the most part, Line Service is pretty thankless and you're nothing more than a welcome mat. :sad:

That being said, I loved working line service. Wouldn't have traded that experience for anything.

Got back from a trip a year or two back one wintry evening and found that while the taxiways were plowed, my hangar was still snowed in. Line guy from the home 'drome FBO helped me dig my way in. You better believe I tipped him.

no doubt they deserved it. I guess I should clarify for my situation. I'm at a smaller airport, and I usually taxi and put the plane up by myself. My only interaction with the guys is having them fuel it up.

I did have someone come after hours to fuel my plane up, and I will remember this come Christmas time.

If my hangar in central Georgia ever gets snowed in, I will definitely tip them if they even know where to find a snow plow. :lol:

Christmas day 1978, blowing sleet and snow. I run out to the airport to fuel a Dassault Falcon, (~400gal) and de-ice as best I could. Assisted with loading, and whatnot. I didn't even get a thanx. The crew, and sourpuss old lady got aboard, and left without so much as a "Merry Christmas".

Then there's the Army guys in their new helicopters would take on about 50gal, and slip me a fin. And the pipeline guy in his 150 taking on about 12 gal, and a candybar. Giving me a ride, on a leg of his patrol.
And the guy in a UC-78 needed a couple gallons of oil, I knew what kind, and where to put it, later he needed a prop to get the right engine started. I got a $20.

Last edited:
And while we're on this whole FBO and tipping thing......

"Tis the season". If you are based at and/or frequent an FBO where you get good service, you know their names and they know yours....even if you never tip, a little something at the holidays for the staff that tends to you on a regular basis would be a nice thing to do.

Mike

A lot of people would start screaming at the line guys, for towing their precious airplane without the pilot present. "I'd rather have it hailed on than you overstress my nose gear!" -- Been there, done that. Then at least half won't even pay for the hangar since they didn't ask for it... even after it starts hailing golf-balls. For the most part, Line Service is pretty thankless and you're nothing more than a welcome mat. :sad:

That being said, I loved working line service. Wouldn't have traded that experience for anything.

Some even want the airplane destroyed for the insurance check. LOL.

Heck, I tried to fix up the FBO supervisor at KBAF with my attractive niece once...the next year I came back and he was married (not to her).

Recent trip to Purdue one of the CFIs from the FBO gave us the free van ride to the stadium for a Boilermakers game. He was polite, answered all our questions and overall just a nice young man. Both my 152 driving buddy and I (with a 172) tipped him $5 each.

Gulfstreams can be an interesting case no doubt. It really irks me when 3 people are out for 30+ minutes throwing bags and we don't even get a thank you, much less a tip. We had one regular customer who after the 1 passenger was off the pilots insisted on "helping" us put it in the hangar. It would go much faster if the Captain didn't do that,

That is EXACTLY the reason the captain stayed around. It is his livelihood, not yours. Speed is not the desired outcome, safety is.

That is EXACTLY the reason the captain stayed around. It is his livelihood, not yours. Speed is not the desired outcome, safety is.

Rest assured, I didn't want to ding an airplane anymore than I wanted my airplane dinged. In August I had my right aileron destroyed by a line guy. He called me, explained the situation and I didn't freak out, at least not while I was talking to him. For pilots to think that we were on a mission to ding airplanes is ridiculous. Pilots who aren't in line service have no business telling me what I can and can't do if it won't hurt the airplane, sorry. The guy in my example above is super nice though, very polite and typically even remembers us by name. His airplane would go inside a lot faster though if he wasn't there micro managing.

Back