FBO Crew Cars for Dummies

N521MA

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
FlyBoy
Perhaps a silly question....
If I am planning XC to another airport with intentions of leaving my plane at FBO for 2 or 3 hours with request for a top-off, am I okay to use their crew cars? Anything special that I need to do to be eligible? Are there reservations that I need to schedule?

I often use ForeFlight and see that some FBOs have "crew car" listed .... as GA pilot - am I eligible?

Does anyone have good experience with crew cars that is willing to share the knowledge?

Call first, but generally they are first-come, first-served, and yes, as a GA pilot, most FBOs consider the car to be there just for you.

Common courtesy has you (1) putting a little gas in it, (2) buying gas (if needed) for the plane, and (3) being sure you don't keep the car for too long, so others can use it too.

Let us know where you're headed, and you might get a good pirep.

Call the FBO and ask. It's not like some sort of secret handshake that if you get wrong they won't let you use the car.

Call the FBO and ask. It's not like some sort of secret handshake that if you get wrong they won't let you use the car.

I tried a secret handshake with one once, and accidentally broke the poor guy's nose. whoops.

In addition to the aforementioned, some of the better ones actually have nice crew cars, but beware the ones that don't. You might not feel safe going further than the hangars with it.

Perhaps a silly question....
If I am planning XC to another airport with intentions of leaving my plane at FBO for 2 or 3 hours with request for a top-off, am I okay to use their crew cars? Anything special that I need to do to be eligible? Are there reservations that I need to schedule?

I often use ForeFlight and see that some FBOs have "crew car" listed .... as GA pilot - am I eligible?

Does anyone have good experience with crew cars that is willing to share the knowledge?

I flew in to KARR this last weekend and they let me use their courtesy car without a gas purchase. They had no landing fee at that towered airport, as well. So we ended up buying some gas after the fact just to contribute something.

If I don't need fuel ill usually throw the line guy $5 or $10. My FBO let's the cars out for 2 hours (longer as long as you're up front as to why, like doc appointment, not like sightseeing) usually put a few bucks of gas in it.

Call ahead and ask about time limits, some places have 1-2 hour limits, which is fair, if you need a car all day, rent one. ;) Always replace the gas you use, plus some. :D I never use a crew car if I am not buying fuel, some FBO's have a rule about it, but it's only right to spend some money with them.
The quality of crew cars is all over the board, I have been given everything from new cars to downright dangerous looking former cabs that were rejected by Mexico as being too unsightly for the road. :yikes: The operative word is "given" if it's free, don't ***** and make sure you thank them and take care of it. :yes:

Thank you :)) very useful info!

Back