Favorite Quotes

Red over red your dead.

When buying an aircraft , the first question to ask, "are you going to fly to fly or are you going to fly to travel?". From my first instructor.

"Son, the only thing that's fair in life is where the 4-H kids take their animals"

my Dad (may he rest in peace)

"My memory is great. Except for anything that deals with the past!

K Gruber.........getting older is hell

"The wort part of being old is remembering when you was young." - Alvin Straight

On the internet, you can be anything you want.

What amazes me is how many people choose to be stupid.

"Son, never trust a man who won't pet your dog."

my Dad (may he rest in peace)

Favorite quotes?

Just about the entire script to The Princess Bride

Such as: "You use that word a lot. I do not think it means what you think it means." (one of my favorite lines from the movie).

Here's a few of my favorites from Mr. Edison:

As a cure for worrying, work is better than whisky.

Everything comes to him who hustles while he waits.

Hell, there are no rules here-- we're trying to accomplish something.

I never did a day's work in my life. It was all fun.

If we all did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally astound ourselves.

Just because something doesn't do what you planned it to do doesn't mean it's useless.

Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results. I know several thousand things that won't work.

There is no expedient to which a man will not go to avoid the labor of thinking.

To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk.

We don't know a millionth of one percent about anything.

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Genius is one per cent inspiration, ninety-nine per cent perspiration.

This one's from Spock:

"If you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

...And a couple of my own (not that I'm comparing myself to Thomas):

"We've always done it this way" loosely translates to "we've always been pretty stupid".

I wish I didn't know then what I don't know now.

Last edited:
A quote from me when my employer seriously asked if I could land in the parking lot!!!

"Once"

Would have left a lasting impression on the parking, not to mention me.

The seven deadly words in any endeavor:
"We Never Did It That Way Before"
Harvey Everette among others, I'd imagine

"I think about my father being called `boy`, my uncle being called `boy`, my brother, coming back from Vietnam and being called `boy`. So I questioned myself: `What does a black man have to do before he`s given the respect as a man?` So when I was 18 years old, when I was old enough to fight and die for my country, old enough to drink, old enough to vote, I said I was old enough to be called a man. I self-ordained myself Mr. T so the first word out of everybody`s mouth is `Mr.` That`s a sign of respect that my father didn`t get, that my brother didn`t get, that my mother didn`t get."

Lawrence Tureaud

(I threw that in there not to start some sort of race/discrimination argument so please don't, I thought it was interesting to show how he obtained his name.)

You can't reach old age by another man's road. My habits protect my life but they would assassinate you.

It is curious--curious that physical courage should be so common in the world, and moral courage so rare.

I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's.

-Some of my favorites from that genius Samuel Clemens. And from his grandmother, one which keeps me sane when dealing with certain people:

"People born to be hanged are safe in water."

This one's from Spock:

"If you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

Spock?

No, neither the Doctor nor the Pointy Ear said that. It was Arthur Conan Doyle, in the form of Sherlock Holmes.

"See in this world there are two kinds of people my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. . . .You dig."

"This isn't about cheating, it's about winning!"

--Bring it on

A quote from me when my employer seriously asked if I could land in the parking lot!!!

"Once"

But it would be talked about for a LONG time! :cheers:

In police work, the saying is "You can do anything you want on your last day."

Open any policy manual and find an old timer. He can tell you the name of the guy that caused most of them to be written.
"Why is there a 4 page policy on X?"
"Well, there was this guy named Dwight Roberts, and....."

"How ya doing?"

"Still vertical."

Doc - circa 1971

Back