Favorite Fly-Ins

OneCharlieTango

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
OneCharlieTango
Working on the 2024 calendar, I find I’m in something of a rut — same old fly-ins at the same old places. I don’t care if I never go to another “Wings and Wheels” event. So I thought I’d post here and ask what your favorite, possibly lesser-known fly-ins are.

As an RV guy, I did my first Petit Jean (Arkansas) last year. I’m sure I’ll be back. Unfortunately, the dates never seem to get solidified until well into the summer. It’s typically some time in September. There‘s formation flying, a balloon pop (much fun), and a raffle. I feel like there must’ve been some sort of maintenance seminar, but I don’t actually remember one. Most people stay at the Lodge, with transportation provided.

The Triple Tree Fly In (South Carolina) is one of the most amazing things I’ve ever seen. You may have the coolest RV-8 in the world, but you’ll be eclipsed by the Fokker Triplane! You walk around and look at rare airplanes in a decidedly non-EAA environment. There are seminars on a wide variety of topics. We went to a talk given by the guy who looped a C-130. There’s a food truck dinner that’s better than most. There was karaoke at the camp fire. I sang “Aimee,” which was pretty well received :cornut:. We haven’t been since 2019, but hope to get back this year.

What are your favorite fly-ins?

The two best I've been to lately are Cheat River Island (uncharted private strip in Rowlesburg, WV, twice a year), and the Waterbury "Flytoberfest" (N41, Waterbury, CT in the fall).

Concrete, WA is the best one I have been to.

The two best I've been to lately are Cheat River Island (uncharted private strip in Rowlesburg, WV, twice a year), and the Waterbury "Flytoberfest" (N41, Waterbury, CT in the fall).
Can someone tag me when we start talking about these?

I have heard Cheat River is great. My favorite of all time is the 6Y9er flying in Sidnaw MI. Best people and the best time.

Back