Favorite coffee

it was just a funny reference to a movie line that seems to have sailed over some heads
tumblr_pbmfv2hAVH1s3c57po4_r2_250.gif

it is sugar that is bad for you … drink your coffee with tons of typical extra sweet creamer and it is going to be as bad as Mountain Dew.
I don't add any of that to mine. I just drink it black.

Since I last posted in this thread, I upgraded from whatever combo I was running (aeropress, ninja, chemex, etc plus grinder) to a Philips SuperAutomatic. They can bury me with that machine; it is that good.

Since I last posted in this thread, I upgraded from whatever combo I was running (aeropress, ninja, chemex, etc plus grinder) to a Philips SuperAutomatic. They can bury me with that machine; it is that good.
A friend made me a cup with an aero press. It wasn’t bad and seemed to extract about as good as a french press does. Seemed like too much effort to use first thing in the morning though. ;)

Seemed like too much effort to use first thing in the morning though. ;)
As much as I love coffee, that is why I have to settle for second best. I just can't do all that stuff in the morning.
I had one of those coffee machines that grind the beans in the morning based on a time so it is ready when you get up. But my wife hated it because it woke her up before she was ready to be woke (no, not that kind of "woke"). So we gave it to a friend that actually appreciates it.

You folks are worse than wine snobs. Do you stick little umbrellas in your cups? This thread shows a fundamental misunderstanding of what coffee should be.

Here’s a typical example of how coffee is supposed to be made:

According to the book Western Words: A Dictionary of the Range, Cow Camp and Trail, published in 1945, an old-time wagon cook had this as a standard recipe: “Take two pounds of Arbuckle’s coffee, put in enough water to wet it down, boil it for two hours, then throw in a hoss shoe. If the hoss shoe sinks, she ain’t ready.”​

Personally, my favorite method is as follows: pick up a pound of ground coffee (whatever they have) from a backwoods country store in the Appalachians and toss it into your backpack. You then hike several miles into the mountains and make camp for the night. In the morning, you measure out coffee into the palm of your hand (one full palm per cup, plus one extra for the pot) and toss it into a steel pot, preferably one that’s beat up from the time you kicked it and has a few years worth of soot on it. Use water drawn from the mountain stream you camped next to. Boil it over your morning fire, settle the grounds and fish out the twigs, then sip it while watching the sun come up over the mountains.

Also good is gas station coffee, black as the devil’s heart and hot as hell, poured from an old Stanley thermos as you sit in a small boat at dawn casting bass lures. Mist rises off the lake to match the steam rising from the cup, and it’s amazing how such a hellish drink can taste so heavenly.

Or maybe you’d like the coffee on a dive boat as you head back to port in a rolling sea after a couple of morning wreck dives. You’re chilled to the bone and so desperate for warmth that you don’t mind scalding your tongue on the near-boiling brew. Taste? What’s it matter when your tongue is numb anyway?

You folks just don’t understand coffee.

You folks are worse than wine snobs. Do you stick little umbrellas in your cups? This thread shows a fundamental misunderstanding of what coffee should be.

Here’s a typical example of how coffee is supposed to be made:

According to the book Western Words: A Dictionary of the Range, Cow Camp and Trail, published in 1945, an old-time wagon cook had this as a standard recipe: “Take two pounds of Arbuckle’s coffee, put in enough water to wet it down, boil it for two hours, then throw in a hoss shoe. If the hoss shoe sinks, she ain’t ready.”​

Personally, my favorite method is as follows: pick up a pound of ground coffee (whatever they have) from a backwoods country store in the Appalachians and toss it into your backpack. You then hike several miles into the mountains and make camp for the night. In the morning, you measure out coffee into the palm of your hand (one full palm per cup, plus one extra for the pot) and toss it into a steel pot, preferably one that’s beat up from the time you kicked it and has a few years worth of soot on it. Use water drawn from the mountain stream you camped next to. Boil it over your morning fire, settle the grounds and fish out the twigs, then sip it while watching the sun come up over the mountains.

Also good is gas station coffee, black as the devil’s heart and hot as hell, poured from an old Stanley thermos as you sit in a small boat at dawn casting bass lures. Mist rises off the lake to match the steam rising from the cup, and it’s amazing how such a hellish drink can taste so heavenly.

Or maybe you’d like the coffee on a dive boat as you head back to port in a rolling sea after a couple of morning wreck dives. You’re chilled to the bone and so desperate for warmth that you don’t mind scalding your tongue on the near-boiling brew. Taste? What’s it matter when your tongue is numb anyway?

You folks just don’t understand coffee.
So you like hot and angry brown sludge, when not at home? Got it. Don’t disagree except the gas station coffee machine that was last cleaned when Nixon was in office. I can make my own sludge in that instance tyvm. You also missed that diner coffee at 2 AM when you are out with friends and don’t want to go home yet. When at home though…it’s quite nice when coffee has flavors as imparted by the beans of things like chocolate, cherry, cinnamon, etc.

Caffeine, along with nicotine should be regulated like all the other addictive drugs... :stirpot:

Remember when people used to get together and discuss their problems over coffee and cigarettes.??

Now coffee and cigarettes are the problem...

So you like hot and angry brown sludge, when not at home? Got it. Don’t disagree except the gas station coffee machine that was last cleaned when Nixon was in office. I can make my own sludge in that instance tyvm. You also missed that diner coffee at 2 AM when you are out with friends and don’t want to go home yet. When at home though…it’s quite nice when coffee has flavors as imparted by the beans of things like chocolate, cherry, cinnamon, etc.

My favorite diner coffee is at the pre-dawn breakfast when you and your buddy are going hunting. Get a to-go cup when you leave so you’ll wake up enough that you don’t shoot your buddy.

Back