Favorite Bed?

Michael

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
CapeCodMichael
I am in the market for a new bed. Ever since I went to the Santa Maria Marriot and slept on a sleep number bed, I am in love with it. Never had a more peaceful sleep. So I definately am looking at that. I like a bed you can sink into, the kind where its a fight to crawl out of. What are your favorite beds? Suggestions?

We ended up buying the Westin Heavenly Bed after a trip to a Westin in New York. Been happy with it for the 5 mos we've had it.

Frank Browne said:
I just figured that was an advertising gimmick. Is it really that good?

I definatly thought so. Instead of flying on sunday, we decided to stay in bed and watch movies!!

I don't know the name of the bed but when I stayed at the Scandic Crown in Edinburough they had the wonderfull beds with about a 4 inch think feather mattress pad on them. You sank into the and were wrapped up in the mattress cover then there was a feather duvet. It was great!!

Michael said:
I definatly thought so. Instead of flying on sunday, we decided to stay in bed and watch movies!!

I can't imagine a better testimonial for the sleep number bed than that!

Frank Browne said:
I just figured that was an advertising gimmick. Is it really that good?
I was guessing the main advantage would be if you and your sleeping partner have different preferences since they have seperate controls for each side.

I've played around with them at hotels and have discovered I prefer very soft (25-30). However I'm someone who can pretty much sleep on anything, luckily for me.

We got some major-brand firm bed, and then have one of those high-density foam pads on top. Very nice, with the HD foam, not without.

I have some cheap mattress on the floor.. and I like it! :yes:

Well. I spent about two months sleeping on floors. So yeah. It is quite the upgrade.

jangell said:
I have some cheap mattress on the floor.. and I like it! :yes:

Well. I spent about two months sleeping on floors. So yeah. It is quite the upgrade.
Oh, to be young again!!!

Michael said:

They ain't made a bed to make ne do that yet........

Having said that, I slept on a full Ocean Motion waterbed for 23 years and loved it. My wife made the decision to change to a regular bed while she was nursing little ones in the bed at night.
I miss that bed, especially in the winter when it was all toasty and waiting for you to get in.

Last edited:
I've had a sleep number bed for 4 years now. It would be one heck of a fight if someone were to try to take it away from me. I liked it so much, I talked my sister into getting one when she was in the market last year. Her and her husband love it, and THEY talked his mother into trying one.. she was another happy customer. I suffer from neck and back pain on occassion for years, and the sleep number bed put a stop to most of that. It's great if you and your partner like different firmness in a mattress. I highly recommend them.

And no, I don't work for the Select Comfort. :)

I have a Simmons Beautyrest with a Cuddledown baffle-box featherbed on top, with a layer of 2" memory foam between the pillow top and the feather bed. Hop in, sink down, the heavy spots get the good support, everything else just melts. Add my comfy sheets and a few down pillows and ZZZZZZzzz

As a data point, I slept in two amazing 5 star hotels last week while in India. The matteresses in one supposedly are $3k a whack (I doubt it), but I slept better my first night home than any night in India.

Cheers,

-Andrew

Question for those of you with the Sleep Number bed. I usually end up sleeping in the middle of the bed, taking all of my half of the bed and part of Pete's half of the bed. Since you can adjust both sides seperately, is there a 'seam' that runs down the middle of the bed that is uncomfortable to lie on? Its about time for a new mattress and I've been thinking about this one. And I live out in the middle of the toolies and no store within 200 miles has one of these things so I can take a look at it.

thanks.

You can keep the sleep number bed. I splurged and bought one of those Memory Foam Nasa bed things for my house. It is so comfortable.

I even tried the glass of wine trick (only with a glass of beer). It works.

SkyHog said:
You can keep the sleep number bed. I splurged and bought one of those Memory Foam Nasa bed things for my house. It is so comfortable.

I even tried the glass of wine trick (only with a glass of beer). It works.

I tried that bed Nick, But it felt too constrictive to me. Like it grabs ya, and doesnt want to let you go.

Keith Lane said:
I slept on a full Ocean Motion waterbed for 23 years and loved it.

Yeah... I miss my old full-wave waterbed.

The best part is that you can put your arms around your sweetie without making her uncomfortable or putting your lower arm to sleep! :)

HA I'm still sleeping on the mattress we bought my wife then girlfriend in 1986 when she graduated college. We have been talking about getting a new mattress as my back certainly is not repairing the way it did when I was 20.
To confess I am terrified of going matress shopping. Comparing prices is impossible as each store call the same mattress something else and It all looks so darn confusing. I hate submitting myself to a purchase when I know nothing at all about the product I always think the sales person is going to rake me over the coals and I won't even know it. But I do need a new mattress.:dunno:

I have a waterbed. But it has a bunch of fiber layers in it to keep the water from sloshing around. I have a hard time sleeping in a non waterbed anymore.

Michael said:
I am in the market for a new bed. Ever since I went to the Santa Maria Marriot and slept on a sleep number bed, I am in love with it. Never had a more peaceful sleep. So I definately am looking at that. I like a bed you can sink into, the kind where its a fight to crawl out of. What are your favorite beds? Suggestions?

Michael,
I've been to that same hotel. Paid extra for that darned bed and I was REALLY disapointed. In the mattress that is. :)

I've been looking to try a night on those memory foam beds. I am a big fan of the various super duper plush pillow tops.

Keith Lane said:
They ain't made a bed to make ne do that yet........

Having said that, I slept on a full Ocean Motion waterbed for 23 years and loved it. My wife made the decision to change to a regular bed while she was nursing little ones in the bed at night.
I miss that bed, especially in the winter when it was all toasty and waiting for you to get in.

I still use one. Carol and I both love it. She's developed the habit of slowly tapping one foot at the bottom of the bed. That creates a bit of a wave pattern which rocks us to sleep. She also wanted to change beds when the kids were little. Then I pointed out how, when they took a nap, if we put them on our water bed they slept far longer than they did on a regular bed.

Also, I hurt my back a couple of times when I was young. My back used to hurt a lot. When I started sleeping on the water bed my back stopped hurting. If I sleep on a regular bed for more that a couple of weeks my back starts hurting again. So it will take a really good bed to get me to change.

My folks bought a sleep# and after a year or so retired it to the guest room. I only use it for a night or two in a row but I haven't been overly impressed. It is a decent bed.

I too want to try one of the memory foam. We have one of the standard latex foams now and like it better than innerspring. The memory foam is pricey enough to make me want to be sure.

gibbons said:
Whatever bed my wife is sleeping in.

Find yourself a different one. :yes:

they say the older you get, the wiser you become. that last birthday pushed you over the edge chip. :yes:

Michael said:
they say the older you get, the wiser you become. that last birthday pushed you over the edge chip. :yes:
I don't know about becoming wiser, but I'm obviously over the edge. :goofy:

DeeG said:
Question for those of you with the Sleep Number bed. I usually end up sleeping in the middle of the bed, taking all of my half of the bed and part of Pete's half of the bed. Since you can adjust both sides seperately, is there a 'seam' that runs down the middle of the bed that is uncomfortable to lie on? Its about time for a new mattress and I've been thinking about this one. And I live out in the middle of the toolies and no store within 200 miles has one of these things so I can take a look at it.

thanks.

There is a thin foam piece that goes down the middle between the two air bladders. I don't notice any "seam" really, but you will notice it if the two sides are aired up to very different firmness settings. Esentially one side will be "down hill" if one is set much softer than the other. Alot depends on the pillow top you buy too. I bought the 5000 series with the extra plush pillow top.

Ken Ibold said:
We ended up buying the Westin Heavenly Bed after a trip to a Westin in New York. Been happy with it for the 5 mos we've had it.

We bought the equivalent Sealy (I think) after experiencing the Westin bed in Maui a couple years ago. We love it. Most comfortable bed I've ever slept in. And after 4 nights on a rock hard mattress in San Jose del Cabo it was sure nice to get back to Saturday night. :D

Right-on, Keith. I've been using the same waterbed for 26 years and can't envision sleeping on anything else(though I've been known to do so). But it was a SOB to move when I bought this house in 1985. When Her Majesty and I were renting, during the early 80s, the landlord(next door) came home and was able to say, "Now, what?" when he saw a long hose hanging from the 2nd floor and gushing water. Muffin -- the cat -- had applied a small pinhole in the "ship," and we had to drain the thing to patch it. Said patch has been holding since 1983.

HR

EDIT: Too bad Her Majesty didn't last that long(faint humor); but Fort Lauderdale will be "sharing" her for a couple weeks, come late May.

Last edited:
I've spent a lot of money on supposedly good "standard" mattresses over the years and they wear out too fast. We just chucked on we spent a lot of money for. After only 6-7 years, it was already sagging on each side. I used to move over to the center when napping to get some firmness.

We bought a Sleep Number bed. I liked the concept because I'm usually extremely comfortable on my similarly constructed air mattress when I'm camping. My husband loves it. I'm less enthusiastic. It doesn't seem to have the same sleeping characteristics as my air mattress (maybe because it's confined on the sides?). The soft settings are too saggy and hurt my back. The harder settings are too firm and my hips hurt (I sleep on my side). The latter might be fixed if we got a thicker pad on top, and I'm thinking about changing it out. But overall I'm not wild about it. I do sleep better than I did on the old mattress though.

My husband has lots of physical problems, however, and as I said, he loves it. One thing I do like it is my husband is not exactly graceful getting out of bed, and he used to wake me up every time he got up to pee. Now I don't have any idea when he gets out of bed.

I'd like to try the Tempurpedic. I have a pillow made out of that stuff, and love it. I'm wondering if I can get one that will fit inside the Sleep Number frame.

Judy

ejensen said:
My folks bought a sleep# and after a year or so retired it to the guest room. I only use it for a night or two in a row but I haven't been overly impressed. It is a decent bed.

I too want to try one of the memory foam. We have one of the standard latex foams now and like it better than innerspring. The memory foam is pricey enough to make me want to be sure.

My mom bought one of these and I don't like it. I'm a very "progressive" guy, in that I like things to get progressively firmer. That's why I'm a featherbed -> memory foam -> pillow top -> extra firm mattress. The heavy spots get the most support, the light spots just enjoy the "clouds". I found that her bed just feels like a spongy fist around me.

Cheers,

-Andrew

astanley said:
My mom bought one of these and I don't like it. I'm a very "progressive" guy, in that I like things to get progressively firmer. That's why I'm a featherbed -> memory foam -> pillow top -> extra firm mattress. The heavy spots get the most support, the light spots just enjoy the "clouds". I found that her bed just feels like a spongy fist around me.

Cheers,

-Andrew

Thanks, I've heard you either love them or hate them.

ejensen said:
I thought I was the only one who preferred a latex foam bed. When I ordered the mattress, the sales-guy thought I was nuts. I also asked for the firmest one possible, and put an egg crate on top of the mattress. I have no problem falling asleep, the problem is staying asleep, this city is too d@mn noisy for me even with earplugs.

infotango said:
I thought I was the only one who preferred a latex foam bed. When I ordered the mattress, the sales-guy thought I was nuts. I also asked for the firmest one possible, and put an egg crate on top of the mattress. I have no problem falling asleep, the problem is staying asleep, this city is too d@mn noisy for me even with earplugs.

Yeah, we bought a good innerspring and after a year hauled the latex firm back out of the guest room. Have to give the egg crate topper a try.

Doesn't matter to me. being a ex-truck driver i can sleep anywhere on anything.Even sitting in a Bostrom airride seat.
Dave G

The wife and I use a sleep number bed here in Alaska, and I am actually looking forward to getting the "regular bed" back when we go home. The sleep number is okay, but it is just "different" than the bed I am used to for some reason. Given the choice, I would probably go with a nice pillow top, or something with the visco-elastic (memory) foam on top.

If you do get one of the sleep number beds, spend $100 and get a small computer battery backup for it. I had the mattress really hard the other night, and I was cutting wood all day so I really REALLY wanted it softer, but the power was out and I couldn't get it soft. (Apparently the relay to "deflate" is electric :lightning: too....)

Just my opinion.....

--Matt

Matteress sellers hated my wife and I when we went matteress shopping last year. I got tired of the soft side waterbed (cause every 6 months a bladder would break and always on my side) so we would buy one and 3 weeks later call them to come pick it up (they have a 30day guarantee). Three told me I had to bring into them (their paperwork said they would pick it up). Two wanted to only give me a partial refund. None would let me buy another bed. I ended up with a memory foam bed and love it. I did not try the sleep number bed

Back