Favorite Accident Case Study?

rt4388

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
rt4388
Starting at the regionals next month and I've been going through the CRJ accident case studies, then applying them to the FCOM to understand how the systems were working and the crew's response.

Any accidents (CRJ or other aircraft) you would highly recommend I take a look at? I'm primarily looking for something that can be applied to the airline environment.

Thanks!

https://www.ntsb.gov/investigations/AccidentReports/Reports/AAR7617.pdf

The DC-6 version of the Kobayashi Maru scenario (Star Trek reference).

It is an accident with which I am quite familiar, as its denouement took place in 1976 just down the street from where I was living at the time.

It happened to be the very first DC-6 (XC-112A) built, flying for Mercer Airlines. The trip was to be from KBUR to KONT with only three flight crew, two cabin crew and a deadheader aboard. As it lifted off KBUR Rwy 15 a blade separated from the #3 propeller, tearing the engine from its mounts. The engine landed on the intersection of the two runways. The airplane’s hydraulic system was trashed by the damage as well, so landing gear could not be retracted. The pilot continued the takeoff (there is a cemetery and mausoleum immediately south of Rwy 15) and nursed the airplane through a low-altitude 270-degree right turn and landed successfully on Rwy 7 (now Rwy 8). But he realized that without brakes there was no chance of stopping before running through the fence, across Hollywood Way and into the gas station across the street. So he made it a touch-and-go.

He flew at about 250 AGL six miles west to KVNY, which had a longer runway. What he didn’t realize at the time was that #2 engine oil was also lost and failure of that engine was imminent. When #2 quit the airplane could no longer maintain altitude, coming down just south of the approach end of KVNY Rwy 34L in an under-construction golf course. They might have been all right had they not hit the concrete foundation for what was to be the golf course starter’s shack. The three cockpit crew died; the three in the cabin walked away.

My wife and I came home from church that rainy Sunday morning to find Woodley Avenue blocked off by emergency vehicles just south of our apartment.

Last edited:
Starting at the regionals next month and I've been going through the CRJ accident case studies, then applying them to the FCOM to understand how the systems were working and the crew's response.

Any accidents (CRJ or other aircraft) you would highly recommend I take a look at? I'm primarily looking for something that can be applied to the airline environment.

Thanks!

I just watched a documentary of Continental Express Flight 3407. Definitely airline environment. Fatigue, sterile cockpit and CRM have the starring roles

American 965 — 757 that hit a mountain in Columbia
Pinnacle 3701 — CRJ with a double engine failure; the CVR transcript is particularly interesting

Know where you are and where the rocks are and don't run into them: The Frank Sinatra's Mom accident at Palm Springs and the Air Force C130 at Jackson Hole, TWA at Dulles
Cockpit Resource management: The United DC8 at PDX and the Eastern L1011 at the Everglades.
Don't get so focused on the 'numbers' and push the F'ing throttles forward when your sinking: Air Florida in DC.
Fly the F'ing airplane when the 'gadgets' ain't passing the Logic Check: Breaking News

Thanks for all the input, everyone. I've added these to a list and will hopefully dive into them tonight!

United 232. Work the problem and adapt.

Air France 447: Aircraft design philosophy, basic aerodynamics/aircraft state knowledge, and CRM.
Second the United 232. Amazing, no other word for it.
The Colgan 3407 always gets my blood pressure up.
The C-5 at Dover.
SWA 1380 is one of my new favorites. CRM tenants between pilots and between crew and ATC are outstanding. Not to mention the crew were a study in grace under pressure.

I guess I'm done for now.

American 965 — 757 that hit a mountain in Columbia
Pinnacle 3701 — CRJ with a double engine failure; the CVR transcript is particularly interesting

I'd never read about the Pinnacle 3701 incident. Unbelievable.

Swissair Flight 111...............Germanic thinking overload!!
They were on fire..............they were overweight for landing so they went with the checklist and jettisoned fuel...........instead of landing.

Colgan Air in NY, read the CVR, lots of people died for no reason. Well, there were several reasons....

Colgan Air in NY, read the CVR, lots of people died for no reason. Well, there were several reasons....
Loss of lift? I've got an idea - let's retract some flaps!

Swissair Flight 111...............Germanic thinking overload!!
They were on fire..............they were overweight for landing so they went with the checklist and jettisoned fuel...........instead of landing.

Just watched a timeline video on that. Approximately 21 minutes from first detecting an abnormal smell to going in the ocean. They probably could have gotten the plane on the ground if they had acted immediately.

Landed in a tree I think. Slowed the impulse of the stoppage I guess. That part is amazing.
She shoulda bought a lottery ticket when she woke up. She'd have better odds winning the Powerball and Mega Millions in the same day than surviving that.

The Tenerife accident for the ultimate case of get there-itis. The KLM captain wanted to get to his destination to avoid busting crew hour limits and misheard the tower.

Back