Father's Day

Diana

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Diana
I would like to wish you guys out there a Happy Father’s Day! From what I can tell by getting to know you all, I can tell that you are great dads and make many sacrifices for your kids and spend quality time with them. Sure, you make mistakes along the way, but that’s part of the process. You still love your kids and try to do the best that you can.

On a personal note…

This is the first Father’s Day without my dad, and I feel a bit empty somehow.

I scattered his ashes from the Citabria over the runways here at the farm last fall, with the family all here together…as he had requested. Aviation was a father-daughter activity and a shared love for us. I appreciate that he exposed me to flying and encouraged me all those years.

It was my plan to do an air show tribute to him in the Citabria today, but I don’t have the Citabria. So, I think I will wander out to the runway, and sit in the grass and reflect. He would have been proud of me for working on the Citabria restoration myself and would have teased me for whining about breaking a nail and getting my hands dirty. He always said, “I’m so proud of my little girl”.

His last words before he died were “I love you too, Diana”.

I hope that you all honor your fathers today, and that you fathers honor your children.

Well this is my first pre Fathers Day but after Sep. I will be a father (wow me a father that’s scary). I hope I can be as good as a Dad. We lost him to cancer two years ago and I also feel the emptiness. My Dad loved to travel but hated to fly in a plane he did not feel safe. So when I asked him to go on a flight with me I was sure he would say no (not that I didn’t want him to come) to my surprise he wanted to go. I am not sure why I was surprised because he is the kind of guy that would put away any fears to make some one else happy. I know he was not 100% sure of this little plane but he went up with me anyway. I never really got to take him on a breakfast/lunch flight but I think he would have gone.

OK so now to all you fathers with little girls I need pointers on hiding the bodies of the boy that want to come and take my soon to be little one (Mackenzie Eileen Ciotti) to dances, proms, a wedding, lol

Bob

rmciottijr said:
OK so now to all you fathers with little girls I need pointers on hiding the bodies of the boy that want to come and take my soon to be little one (Mackenzie Eileen Ciotti) to dances, proms, a wedding, lol

Bob

I used to sit in the den with a 45 ACP, just cleaning it. Ask the lad to come in - the den was my "I love me" room - you know, pictures, certificates, medals and all that crap. We generally had a friendly chat that ended with something like ".....and so I am trusting you with my daughters life for this evening. If you do anything to hurt her, or she says that you were not very nice, we will talk again. If it is bad enough that she is really hurt, it might be the last time you talk to anyone. I hope you understand that it's not a threat. It's a promise. And I have access to a large vat of concentraced sulfuric acid, so you will just disappear. Do we understand each other?" At that point I was usually checking the slide on the 45. And you have to say it with a straight face without getting emotional. Just like a business deal.

Never a bit of trouble.

Pic attached is fairly recent of kid (she is on the left). The best thing I ever did was contribute to her existence.

Attachments

• Mychelle.jpg
    Mychelle.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
My dad turns 81 in July. I've been fortunate to get him into the IAR for a few cross-countries. It's not easy for him to clamber into the cockpit now, but he always has a big grin on his face once he's in. He's the one I blame for getting me addicted to this thing called aviation, growing up at the airport on Sunday afternoons, landing in the pasture behind the house, flying to livestock shows around the country in the back of a PA-12. I'm taking him to dinner tonight.

Bob, I find it handy to have prospect boyfriends complete the following application to screen out the suitors for my daughter.

rmciottijr [FONT=Times New Roman said:
OK so now to all you fathers with little girls I need pointers on hiding the bodies of the boy that want to come and take my soon to be little one (Mackenzie Eileen Ciotti) to dances, proms, a wedding, lol[/FONT]

Bob

Attachments

• DateForm.doc
    41 KB · Views: 22
I'm with ya Diana. Lost dad last Christmas holiday. Still think of him often. One of the nicest memories was when we landed at San Diego Gillespie after returning from Las Vegas (Army reunion) last fall. Dad had a moment where he was excited and felt great. Asked me what I thought about him getting his pilots's license--If I thought he could.

Of course, I told him he could, that he'd do great. He was all smiles.

Of course, he would never have been able to get through it, but I sure wasn't going to be the one to tell him.

Hopefully, you'll think of the wonderful times with your dad and keep his memory alive for the family. Some of us have some hudge shoes to fill now, being the dad of the family; making sure we do as well for our kids as our dads did for us.

Best,

Dave

My died his physical death in 1986, he had alzheimers, and IMHO had died years before but it took a while for his body to figure it. About 8 years ago I met his daughter, my sister, we both had vague knowledge of each other but it took almost 30 years for us to find each other. Since then we have both been learning many new things about our dad. Our dad had his good points and his bad, he was human and not perfect. But on this fathers day I do not think of him.

I am thinking of my nieces and their STUPID father who filled for divorce last week. He has no know reason why he is leaving or getting divorced, he is "trying to figure things out" when you ask him. While he is doing his figuring out he has decided that it is a good idea to start dating again and has a new girlfriend (hmm that was quick), in the mean time his kids have no idea about why this is all happening. The youngest has told me she 'knows her dad does not love her', the oldest is talking to him but basically has washed her hands of him. So on this fathers day I am thinking that if you are a dad live up to being one.

Sorry about the rant, but I just got some email from them on some shenagins he is trying to play with dividing up the finances.

Scott:

I'm really sad to hear of your experience. My dad was simply always there for me. Very supportive and very proud of me. What I miss most in the world is being able to talk to him and getting his unqualified support.

Mom was totally different for me. I guess parents are just people but we sure don't understand that as kids.

Must have been difficult on you; ship without a rudder kind of thing. You really have a chance to help your nieces. I know you know that, but they certainly need support now. Hope you can be there for them.

I'm very close to my three nieces in Wisconsin; it's been very rewarding!

Hope things can work out that way for you.

Best,

Dave

smigaldi said:
I am thinking of my nieces and their STUPID father who filled for divorce last week. He has no know reason why he is leaving or getting divorced, he is "trying to figure things out" when you ask him. While he is doing his figuring out he has decided that it is a good idea to start dating again and has a new girlfriend (hmm that was quick)

There's the reason, guarantee she's been there much longer than a week. :( all around. Often these relationships don't last too long past the divorce, but the damage to the kids is already done. :(

Diana, I have to apologize for not remembering when I spoke to you today. Gone but not forgotten....

rmciottijr said:

Bob

What I've done is get a good Winchester 870 Pump Action 12 Gauge Shotgun, and I've had "Ciara's Honor" engraved on the receiver and inlaid in gold.

When my daughter starts dating (she's 3), I will get some shells filled with rock salt and a low-velocity charge (this idea comes courtesy of an old gentleman I interviewed in the Virginia hills once), and I will hang that shotgun over the door so it will be the last thing the young man sees as he takes Ciara out of the house.

That's the fatherly intimidation part of the strategy. The more important part is raising my daughter well so that she'll have the judgement to choose wisely about sex, and the self-esteem and self-discipline, and all the nasty fighting tricks I can teach her, so that it will be HER decision and nobody else's.

Finally, the best way to dispose of bodies is to dump them where they will be quickly be eaten by animals. A bonus is if you can do that somewhere where people seldom go - like a bombing range, alligator-infested waters on a military reservation, or way way WAY offshore.

smigaldi said:
My died his physical death in 1986,

Same year my father passed away. Alone, in the VA hospital in Boloxi. He left us when I was 16 years old and we were estranged for many years. I have made it my mission in life to never leave or abandon my kids, regardless of how old they are. Actually I had a very nice Father's Day. My boys took me out to eat twice. BBQ for lunch and seafood for dinner. And a really nice gift certificate for Barnes and Noble. Yay!

Diana said:
I would like to wish you guys out there a Happy Father’s Day! From what I can tell by getting to know you all, I can tell that you are great dads and make many sacrifices for your kids and spend quality time with them. Sure, you make mistakes along the way, but that’s part of the process. You still love your kids and try to do the best that you can.

On a personal note…

This is the first Father’s Day without my dad, and I feel a bit empty somehow.

I scattered his ashes from the Citabria over the runways here at the farm last fall, with the family all here together…as he had requested. Aviation was a father-daughter activity and a shared love for us. I appreciate that he exposed me to flying and encouraged me all those years.

It was my plan to do an air show tribute to him in the Citabria today, but I don’t have the Citabria. So, I think I will wander out to the runway, and sit in the grass and reflect. He would have been proud of me for working on the Citabria restoration myself and would have teased me for whining about breaking a nail and getting my hands dirty. He always said, “I’m so proud of my little girl”.

His last words before he died were “I love you too, Diana”.

I hope that you all honor your fathers today, and that you fathers honor your children.

awwww, I'm sorry Diana. :( what a nice post.

I was home for Father's Day - just flew back last night. (commercial, yes, still...)

smigaldi said:
My died his physical death in 1986, he had alzheimers, and IMHO had died years before but it took a while for his body to figure it. About 8 years ago I met his daughter, my sister, we both had vague knowledge of each other but it took almost 30 years for us to find each other. Since then we have both been learning many new things about our dad. Our dad had his good points and his bad, he was human and not perfect. But on this fathers day I do not think of him.

I am thinking of my nieces and their STUPID father who filled for divorce last week. He has no know reason why he is leaving or getting divorced, he is "trying to figure things out" when you ask him. While he is doing his figuring out he has decided that it is a good idea to start dating again and has a new girlfriend (hmm that was quick), in the mean time his kids have no idea about why this is all happening. The youngest has told me she 'knows her dad does not love her', the oldest is talking to him but basically has washed her hands of him. So on this fathers day I am thinking that if you are a dad live up to being one.

Sorry about the rant, but I just got some email from them on some shenagins he is trying to play with dividing up the finances.

SCott, I'm really sorry to hear all this. I don't understand people sometimes. Those poor kids.

I got to take my dad, who's 72 and recovering from a very severe illness, fishing this weekend. My boys agreed to accompany me to South Dakota on the trip. What a great weekend! (More on the flying part of the story will be posted elsewhere) but spent the weekend fishing with my dad, my sons, my brother in law (who was my high school buddy before becoming my in-law... and I still love him!) and my brother in law's dad.

After the scare with my dad a couple of months ago, I found a way to get to see him for Father's Day. He is doing well, but frustrated at the current prohibition against driving.

To each of you who have lost your dad's to time, I am convinced that they are, somewhere, somehow, knowing what you are doing. FOr those who still have parents around, make the time because they won't be here forever.

wsuffa said:
FOr those who still have parents around, make the time because they won't be here forever.
My parents turn 75 this month and the kids (and some grandkids) are all flocking to Atlanta to surprise them this weekend. Methinks my mom's health problems are more serious than they let on. I am grateful for every visit, even if it means I have to deal with my siblings.:rolleyes:

Back