Fate of Evergreen Museum, Spruce Goose in doubt - update

I don't know the stats, but how profitable are private museums? This is one of those things that the government excels in throwing money at. Side example: if you ever visit the SLC area, Hill AFB has a completely free museum with tons of historical aircraft.

I don't know the stats, but how profitable are private museums? This is one of those things that the government excels in throwing money at. Side example: if you ever visit the SLC area, Hill AFB has a completely free museum with tons of historical aircraft.

They aren't profitable. I don't know of any aviation museum that operates on a for-profit basis even when they are private. The military museums (and to some extent the Smithsonian) benefit from a massive federal subsidy.

If you want to see the grandpappy, go to the National Museum of the Air Force at Wright-Patterson AFB in Dayton, Ohio. It only really is deficient in that the Smithsonian grabbed a few of the real historically significant pieces (Enola Gay is at Hazy for example where as Bock's car is at NMAF).

A lot of the privately run air museums in the US are really just a way for warbird collectors to deduct the cost of operating their toys. Set up a non-profit, donate the aircraft to it (tax deduction), donate cash to fuel and maintain them (another tax deduction), and collect a little money at the door to offset the costs (tax free income). The fact that they are not profitable is not usually a big concern to the operator, because they are getting a tax benefit that they otherwise would not get.

The fact that they are not profitable is not usually a big concern to the operator, because they are getting a tax benefit that they otherwise would not get.

Even ones that don't fly the aircraft don't have the illusion of making a profit. PRIVATE does not equate to profit-making. Tons of non-profit private institutions out there.

I know of a few for-profit museums (not air museums) and they tend to resemble more of a theme park than a museum.

You mean, like the Evergreen museum?

Where else would you find a 747 with a water slide built into it?

I tried to get one put in at the Smithsonian but General Dailey wouldn't go for it

They do have a space shuttle.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1442520854849.jpg
    FB_IMG_1442520854849.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 24
They do have a space shuttle.

I think that dates from the disappointment when they were not given Enterprise (or one of the other shuttles). Margy was at NMAF for a meeting of museum people the day the announcement came out. Many people: Evergreen, Seattle Museum of Flight, and even the Air Force museum (who had set up chairs for a press conference) were sure they would get one.

Back