Fatal runway nway incursion in Moscow

Every trip I've made to that country has been an unforgettable experience.

I agree. I work in Oil and often travel to deepest darkest Russia. One of my most terrifying moments was realizing we were about to take the runway with about a foot of snow on the wings. Luckily most of it blew off by the time we rotated, but still....:yikes:

It wouldn't be the first time that ATC cleared a vehicle to operate on a runway and later clears an aircraft to take off or land:

Cargolux put tire-treads on the top of a maintenance van which was out on the runway in RVR 1200 to change some lights:

http://avherald.com/h?article=42620150

At La Guardia, a Gulfstream II bowled over a pickup cleared on the runway to change some lights:

http://www.nytimes.com/1997/03/26/nyregion/plane-hits-truck-in-landing-mix-up-at-la-guardia.html

Don't forget the Tenerife 747 crash in fog: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tenerife_airport_disaster

I am less suspecting the dead hand of Putin, than the simple incompetence of a dead society.
Moscow has bad Wx much of the year
Drunkenness of Russian workers is the stuff of legends
The controller may have had his head up his rear
Or it may have simply been a chain of errors and bad karma
I notice no one is shedding tears for the flight crew who were simply trying to make a living in the flying business. I would say they were the real victims here.

One of my most terrifying moments was realizing we were about to take the runway with about a foot of snow on the wings. Luckily most of it blew off by the time we rotated, but still....:yikes:
It's basically a SOP there when it's cold enough so snow is dry. Here's a passenger video:

I am less suspecting the dead hand of Putin, than the simple incompetence of a dead society.
I notice no one is shedding tears for the flight crew who were simply trying to make a living in the flying business. I would say they were the real victims here.

I feel for the crew......:sad::sad::sad::sad:..

Godspeed to them..

They were pros who died at their job, what makes them victims? They were in command/control of the aircraft so that makes them a link in the accident chain. Working for high profile people comes with its own set of risks by association, they knew that. Whether it's karma or an assassin, you stand risk by proximity to die with them.

They were pros who died at their job, what makes them victims? They were in command/control of the aircraft so that makes them a link in the accident chain. Working for high profile people comes with its own set of risks by association, they knew that. Whether it's karma or an assassin, you stand risk by proximity to die with them.

The irony is............ The snowplow driver was completely UNHURT...:mad2:...:rolleyes2:

The irony is............ The snowplow driver was completely UNHURT...:mad2:...:rolleyes2:

Karma is nothing if not the master of irony. I still have trouble reconciling how many times I have looked around me and wondered, "How in the **** am I still alive?" Heck, never even seriously injured.

Karma is nothing if not the master of irony. I still have trouble reconciling how many times I have looked around me and wondered, "How in the **** am I still alive?" Heck, never even seriously injured.

With all the crazy and dangerous stuff I have done over the last 59 years... I ask myself that same question daily...;)

in mexico, two high ranking goverment officials (basically, number two after the president) died in aircrashes. one was a challenger flown by military crews and the other was a super puma heli also flown by military crew. those machines just dont fall of the sky. again, in these type of countries those accidents scream sabotage that no one dares to dig deeper.

sabotage?? cold war style.

It would be more like "Broken gear, Cold War style".:rolleyes:;)

Why didn't the driver have a radio operating on the runway environment? The girl as the sacrificial lamb is a stroke of genius, she is hot, the French will not pursue her prosecution, it would be in-chivalrous and the French could not make such an "uncultured" move in a Russian court, showing the Russians more cultured, that just wouldn't do. She looked hot enough to be a hooker on his yacht.

Back