Fatal Cirus accident in MN today

gismo

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
iGismo
The local TV news reported a downed SR-22 in western MN today. They had video from the site that showed a quite flattened airplane and they said there weren't ant "skid marks" in the snow. The chute was deployed. I didn't see any evidence of fire. I believe the plane was based at FCM, my home base. The N #, 621PH, is registered to a LLC with an address at an office building a few miles from the airport but I couldn't find a business listing at the address with a matching name.

AFaIK the wx was fairly benign in the area.

Wow...interesting.

I don't really even want to speculate on this one... Did it say it was fatal?

Interesting.

This is bad news for Cirrus.

I hate waiting for information with stuff like this.

jangell said:
Interesting.

This is bad news for Cirrus.

Not really. They have been doing very well lately. I think around a year ago they had 4-5 fatal crashes within a few months. You have to remember that they are selling a lot of new planes now and their fleet number (I think) is over 1500.

More from TV news; The pilot was Mark Johnson, a local businessman. And the on scene reporter said the chute deployed after the plane hit the ground.

Checking the registry I see that Mark lived a few miles from me, but I don't think I know him. According to the FAA he was a VFR private pilot although they show that he had a class II medical in 2004.

Lance: The link to flightAware that you posted shows a flight that took place on November 23, 2005. Some one once said of many cirrus' and their pilots " A lota plane and not enough pilot" Sad any way you look at it.

AdamZ said:
Lance: The link to flightAware that you posted shows a flight that took place on November 23, 2005. Some one once said of many cirrus' and their pilots " A lota plane and not enough pilot" Sad any way you look at it.

I know the text says the last flight was in Nov, but it also says the flight was from DLH to FCM which the graphic clearly isn't. My guess is that flightaware was a bit confused by the unusual termination of today's flight. And either Mr Johnson has an IR that doesn't showup in the FAA database or some other IR pilot has been flying the plane around the midwest as there are many other IFR flights logged.

lancefisher said:
The local TV news reported a downed SR-22 in western MN today. They had video from the site that showed a quite flattened airplane and they said there weren't ant "skid marks" in the snow. The chute was deployed. I didn't see any evidence of fire. I believe the plane was based at FCM, my home base. The N #, 621PH, is registered to a LLC with an address at an office building a few miles from the airport but I couldn't find a business listing at the address with a matching name.

AFaIK the wx was fairly benign in the area.

Aeronews is reporting that the chute was not deployed but simply knocked out of it position as a result of the crash. They are also reporting non-benign wx as well.

http://www.aero-news.net/index.cfm?ContentBlockID=716a4f3f-4c52-4688-ab79-4d78b0bedfe5&

lancefisher said:
I know the text says the last flight was in Nov, but it also says the flight was from DLH to FCM which the graphic clearly isn't. My guess is that flightaware was a bit confused by the unusual termination of today's flight. And either Mr Johnson has an IR that doesn't showup in the FAA database or some other IR pilot has been flying the plane around the midwest as there are many other IFR flights logged.

I have also found that Flight aware will pick up VFR flights using flight following.

AdamZ said:
I have also found that Flight aware will pick up VFR flights using flight following.

It usually will (I haven't seen an instance when it didn't track you under VFR FF) until you terminate or are terminated since you are entered into the NAS when you recieve a squawk code.

HPNPilot1200 said:
It usually will (I haven't seen an instance when it didn't track you under VFR FF) until you terminate or are terminated since you are entered into the NAS when you recieve a squawk code.

I checked the tail numbers of the airplane I fly. None of them show any of my flights. I always use flight following.

Ron Levy said:
The track I see there is dated three weeks ago.

The date is wrong. Our assumption is that information is incorrect due to the...unstandard termination of flight. The ending point is correct.

Ron Levy said:
The track I see there is dated three weeks ago.

Yes, but compare the track with the departure and destination, they don't match and the end of the track is almost exactly where the plane went down. BTW I just heard that the pilot just purchased the plane recently so the other flights may have been Cirrus pilots flying to demo's.

The airplane is quite new

Certificate Issue Date11/09/2005

jangell said:
I checked the tail numbers of the airplane I fly. None of them show any of my flights. I always use flight following.

It has a termination period of course. ;) FlightAware isn't going to keep extra data that they don't need. Also--after ATC terminates you the squawk code goes back into the pool for the NAS computers to assign to another a/c so if that squawk that you had got pulled recently after, you might not be able to get it.

Otherwise, it's extremely reliable and provided me with a great ground track print-out after flights.

HPNPilot1200 said:
It has a termination period of course. ;) FlightAware isn't going to keep extra data that they don't need. Also--after ATC terminates you the squawk code goes back into the pool for the NAS computers to assign to another a/c so if that squawk that you had got pulled recently after, you might not be able to get it.

Otherwise, it's extremely reliable and provided me with a great ground track print-out after flights.
The last flights it shows for these aircraft are months ago. I've flown them several times XC in the last month and used flight following?

jangell said:
The last flights it shows for these aircraft are months ago. I've flown them several times XC in the last month and used flight following?

Beats me Jesse....I don't operate Flightaware.com so I can't tell ya' anything more. If anyone has anymore knowledge that they can input into this please feel free to, otherwise drop flightaware an e-mail.

Any plane I've been in that I recieved FF for has appeared on the log and visual track/map so I don't have any experience with looking up a plane that didn't get logged besides aircraft that are blocked or requested to be blocked with either them or the FAA.

Funny thing-

Couple weeks ago, when I flew to HOU for Big 12 champ game, and had to fly around Houston for one full hour after getting within 5 miles of Loc intercept (arggh!), the Flightaware track showed my flight as having terminated at my scheduled arrival time- no mention of being spun and wrung for an hour.

Oy! Sometimes, I felt as if the ctlrs had forgotten me, sure enough.

HPNPilot1200 said:

I had someone try to track my flight to and from Lake Havasu, AZ, and neither way was viewable. I was on FF the whole way.

Back