Fatal Cirrus crash Mustang Beach Airport 04-24-2021

Chute deployed. Wonder if that was due to impact or pulled the chute below effective altitude. That is an ugly wreck.

Chute deployed. Wonder if that was due to impact or pulled the chute below effective altitude. That is an ugly wreck.

Conjecture over in the COPA site is that the chute wasn't deployed or deployed on impact. The straps were not torn out of the side of the plane. Another theory is that the FD set it off to get rid of it so they could cut the pilot out. Some one said the pilot suffered gruesome injuries. Again all unconfirmed info.

I'm reminded of a crash here in 2009 right across the street from where I was working. Reports from those I know that were on the scene gave the same remarks as to how horrible the crash was and that the pilot was still alive for a few moments after they arrived at the scene. He passed quickly from those injures before help arrived to remove from him the plane.

https://www.aviation-safety.net/wikibase/58582

Looks like the mishap aircraft took a beach tour and made some interesting traffic patterns a bit prior to the mishap.

be0c78df4f93ea2e3e459360c36c87f2.jpg

Info from locals was he was flying Young Eagles. On a right hand pattern, overflew the runway end, pitched up drastically, dropped the left wing, and then spiraled down. Chute came out, but too low to do any good. Haven't heard what caused the pitch up and I'm assuming stall right after.

Info from locals was he was flying Young Eagles. On a right hand pattern, overflew the runway end, pitched up drastically, dropped the left wing, and then spiraled down. Chute came out, but too low to do any good. Haven't heard what caused the pitch up and I'm assuming stall right after.
I heard the same story from a friend of mine who is a skydive pilot there and witnesses it, except he said the chute deployed on impact. One of our local Austin pilots was there and cut the child's seatbelt to free him from the plane. He said he has no idea how the kid wasn't hurt more since the seatbelt was essentially what kept the two halves of the airplane connected.

I also heard that the pilot made three approaches when he got there before he landed, complaining about traffic, but seemed overwhelmed and angry.

I think he just lost situational awareness and got slow. There was a lot going on at that airport. From the crash pics it didn't look like he had deployed, or at least fully deployed the flaps. His last call was short final, then it happened 10 or 15 seconds later.

This comment on Kathryn's Report..

"
He took on this flight and for some reason (I have listened to the radio calls) he came back in for a low an over or landing or go around, nobody knows for sure. Another aircraft was right behind him in the pattern on short final and over the numbers Carrol pulled up, the nose went pretty high and at about 200 ft give or take the right wing dropped (indicative of a stall) and the plane flipped over hit the ground beside the runway nose first, kind of cartwheeled a 180 and came to rest as shown.
"

love the Cirrus. but it won't tolerate low speed antics or forgive you for getting behind the plane.. the way I was taught was to never get under 90 knots close to the ground unless you are established on final

Sad.. too many (preventable) small plane accidents :(

"
He took on this flight and for some reason (I have listened to the radio calls) he came back in for a low an over or landing or go around, nobody knows for sure. Another aircraft was right behind him in the pattern on short final and over the numbers Carrol pulled up, the nose went pretty high and at about 200 ft give or take the right wing dropped (indicative of a stall) and the plane flipped over hit the ground beside the runway nose first, kind of cartwheeled a 180 and came to rest as shown.
"

love the Cirrus. but it won't tolerate low speed antics or forgive you for getting behind the plane.. the way I was taught was to never get under 90 knots close to the ground unless you are established on final

Hopefully the passengers will be able to provide some insight as to what happened. Jack's story may be an indicator as to what was going on, I hope there is a definitive cause figured out for this accident, this one bothers me.

Sure sounds like a go-around accident. In 182's/206's its something we must practice constantly. Trimmed for landing, the initial pitch up can surprise even the most seasoned pilot. A lot going on. Power, right rudder, flaps, all while trimming a lot. I suspect the most common issue is slamming the power forward and no rudder input. Tragic.

This one seems particularly sad for some reason. Sounded like a nice fellow. On Katheryn’s report, a women claiming to be his ex-wife had a nice testimonial for him.

"
"

So how the the cirrus act on a full flaps full power go around. I know if I’m full flaps in the 182 trimmed for landing snd I go around it can be quite a handful snd get super slow really fast. Be very easy to get in trouble

So how the the cirrus act on a full flaps full power go around. I know if I’m full flaps in the 182 trimmed for landing snd I go around it can be quite a handful snd get super slow really fast. Be very easy to get in trouble

I don't think this was a go around.

The 22 is very well behaved in a go around. I've done lots of them, full flaps, half flaps, no flaps. Lots of yaw if you forget right rudder, but even that is not a big deal if you don't let it get too slow, (or to low where you have worry about hitting stuff) which is pretty hard to do at full throttle. With full load, full flaps from sea level to just under 2,000 feet. the 22 will climb at 750 fpm.

At 200 feet, the airplane would be going between 75 and 85 knots when full flaps are in. You get the power in, arrest the decent and get it climbing, go to half flaps, accelerate to 90 or probably 85 for this generation, then pull out the rest of the flaps. Then transition to a cruise climb when safe and you're done. No real bad manners.

If you get antsy, screw up and go from full to no flaps, again not a big deal, you just have to pay attention to your airspeed. (ahem, or so I'm told)

I think if this was a go around the nose up before the stall would have been very impressive, like 15 to 20 degrees or more.

Maybe that's what happened, but I tend to doubt it. Hopefully there is some video found somewhere that will help answer some questions.

Pretty much what Paul said. Full flaps do add a bit of drag so if you lose track of your power and airspeed things can unravel faster than what someone may be used to. That's why I advocate the transition course.. you figure these things out with an experienced right seater.

The plane, at least the 22, has plenty of power so it *can* power away with flaps in.. but the trim and rudder forces are impressive so it behooves one to go to half flaps sooner than later

Back