Fatal at KPCW

wow not good...looks like a stall from the picks...and looking weather probably not a factor....

FAA is on site, runway 9/27 was closed for a time. The plane nosed in after takeoff. The local Walmart security camera captured some of the takeoff and crash on video.

FAA is on site, runway 9/27 was closed for a time. The plane nosed in after takeoff. The local Walmart security camera captured some of the takeoff and crash on video.

Is 9/27 the runway the Cirrus was taking off from in the raw video :dunno::dunno:

Never good,with the size of the field he had,must have been in the climb out phase. May have been start of vmc roll. May he rest in peace.

Never good,with the size of the field he had,must have been in the climb out phase. May have been start of vmc roll. May he rest in peace.

The article said it was a single, but I can't tell what it was - looks big though... Cherokee-6? Or maybe it was a twin and the reporter got it wrong. The pictures make it look like a twin.

UPDATE: Comments now say it was a Piper Apache so a vmc roll is certainly a possibility.

Last edited:
They released the pilot's name. I knew the guy. He owned a Geronimo.

Dang. Sorry Chris...

Me too. He was a great guy. A mutual friend just told me he was working on his A&P. Not sure if he was flying his plane.

I'm still pretty shocked. I've been told that if you fly long enough you'll know people whose lives are lost in accidents like these. It certainly doesn't make it any easier.

I've been told that if you fly long enough you'll know people whose lives are lost in accidents like these. It certainly doesn't make it any easier.

Sorry to hear about this. :nonod:

In my 20 years of flying, I've known three fatalities, and one serious injury resulting from plane crashes. I guess that works out to a friend crashing every five* years.

Fly safe.

* = Results are hopefully skewed by the fact that I know a lot more pilots than the average person, by virtue of my business.

I knew the guy, too. He is/was an expert in one of my cases. We had a nice chat about flying over lunch before his deposition.

First flights after any mx makes me extra cautious.

There was a helo crash earlier this month right after maintenance. The rotor flew completely off :confused:

If you want to make GA safer for yourself, I agree, avoid flights (if possible) or exercise extreme caution right after maintenance.

Me too. He was a great guy. A mutual friend just told me he was working on his A&P. Not sure if he was flying his plane.

I'm still pretty shocked. I've been told that if you fly long enough you'll know people whose lives are lost in accidents like these. It certainly doesn't make it any easier.

And the 20th one is no easier than the 1st one. Although sometimes I get a little angry when someone I know dies because of a stupid mistake that led to the crash.

Flew into PCW today. Saw the accident t site from the air. Deffinately looked like spin. Very small debris area.

Based on what the walmart camera revealed, sounds like an "impossible turn" attempt at low altitude... The fact it was first flight after Maintenance supports that, I think...

Hopefully he just got his medical, the registry shows Mr Schimizze as a CPL MEL IFR, PPL SEL, with "No Medical Available."....

Back