Fastest piston GA plane?

docmirror

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Cowboy - yeehah!
No warbirds, to turbines or turboprops. TC is fine, but what's the fastest commercially available Piston powered GA plane? What's the cruise on it and fuel burn?

Go read about the Mooney Acclaim at....www.mooney.com

Okay, how about the fastest piston built before 1990?

No warbirds, to turbines or turboprops. TC is fine, but what's the fastest commercially available Piston powered GA plane? What's the cruise on it and fuel burn?

Lanceair probably has the top 2, they aren't certified, but they are readily available complete.

Honestly, Columbia can't beat Mooney? Wow. I hope that's a modern Mooney and not some old, cantankerous doctor... I mean plane.

Wasn't the Mooney TLS Bravo the fastest for awhile? And I have always heard the Lanceair was pretty slick too.

I also seem to remember the Deathstar- er... Aerostar was the fastest production twin ever built. Was there one faster?

For certificated singles I believe it is a neck and neck race between Columbia and Mooney.

http://www.flycolumbia.com/
http://www.mooney.com/acclaim/overview.html
Former Mooney CEO Gretchen whoever eked out a knot and a half faster than the Columbia in an Acclaim ... aided by some teflon (I think) speed coating/wax stuff marketed by LoPresti. Before the coating, the Acclaim was 1 knot slower, afterward, 1.5 knots faster. Which means for all practical purposes they're the same speed.

Former Mooney CEO Gretchen whoever eked out a knot and a half faster than the Columbia in an Acclaim ... aided by some teflon (I think) speed coating/wax stuff marketed by LoPresti. Before the coating, the Acclaim was 1 knot slower, afterward, 1.5 knots faster. Which means for all practical purposes they're the same speed.
Gretchen Jahn.

And how about the forthcoming DA-50? Not the fastest, but looks like it might be sweet!

Gretchen Jahn.

And how about the forthcoming DA-50? Not the fastest, but looks like it might be sweet!
The DA-50 is pretty nice. I had a chance to crawl all over it at Premiere Aircraft in Fort Lauderdale. Although it's not pressurized, the airframe was designed from the beginning to be pressurization friendly. Also look for them to put a 350-hp diesel on its nose. There is a design flaw in the airplane, however. The breakers are on the ceiling between the doors. Those of us with bifocals have no chance to read the labels without doing some kind of Linda Blair action.

The DA-50 is pretty nice. I had a chance to crawl all over it at Premiere Aircraft in Fort Lauderdale. Although it's not pressurized, the airframe was designed from the beginning to be pressurization friendly. Also look for them to put a 350-hp diesel on its nose. There is a design flaw in the airplane, however. The breakers are on the ceiling between the doors. Those of us with bifocals have no chance to read the labels without doing some kind of Linda Blair action.
I think I've heard about $600K as an estimate. Not an entry-level plane!:no:

As far as the breakers go, I find that half the time when they're on the side panel I can't read them anyway because of the angle. You just need to memorize the location, and maybe put the little colored rings around the most critical ones.

This one's a wee bit faster. I remember tycoon James Garner stepping out of one of these in the 1960 film Cash McCall.

Yeah, I like those, but I thought we were excluding warbirds, and that is just a converted A-26.

We've gone far astray from the original question. Although it looks like the Aerostar is the leader in certificated, and Lancair IV-P is the tops in EXP. As much as I like the Howard and the Marksman, I don't think they are what I would call 'commercially available'. Haven't seen any on Controller anyway......

http://www.controller.com/listings/detail.aspx?OHID=1096579

doesn't count, though...x-warbird

Any plane is for sale at the right price...

We've gone far astray from the original question. Although it looks like the Aerostar is the leader in certificated, and Lancair IV-P is the tops in EXP. As much as I like the Howard and the Marksman, I don't think they are what I would call 'commercially available'. Haven't seen any on Controller anyway......

Back