Fast solo?

braceletwinner

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
braceletwinner
I have had eight flight lessons (plus a discovery flight) for a total time of 9.8 hours using the Jeppesen 141 program. I feel that I am learning and getting better every time out, which of course is the goal. My instructor thinks that I will be ready to solo after one more flight lesson, and I somewhat agree, but I do have reservations. Based on talks with friends that are pilots, most took 15-20 to solo, and I don't know why I would be any different. I don't think of myself as a "natural", but I have studied my butt off the past few weeks and am committed to 3-5 weather-dependent lessons a week. I'm solid on the radio, taxiing, slow flight, stall-recovery, flying the pattern, and approaches, but my flares/landings could use some work. I guess that's what we'll work on in the next lesson, and if he's comfortable, I'll be soloing this weekend (pending my written and medical, which will be done tomorrow). My real question is this: If I am still pretty nervous about my landings (or any portion of flight), should I still trust that my instructor knows that I am ready, even though I may not feel quite that confident yet (and will only have ~11 hours)? I know I won't be scared to death and can almost certainly put the plane down safely, but I know it won't be pretty.

I have had eight flight lessons (plus a discovery flight) for a total time of 9.8 hours using the Jeppesen 141 program. I feel that I am learning and getting better every time out, which of course is the goal. My instructor thinks that I will be ready to solo after one more flight lesson, and I somewhat agree, but I do have reservations. Based on talks with friends that are pilots, most took 15-20 to solo, and I don't know why I would be any different. I don't think of myself as a "natural", but I have studied my butt off the past few weeks and am committed to 3-5 weather-dependent lessons a week. I'm solid on the radio, taxiing, slow flight, stall-recovery, flying the pattern, and approaches, but my flares/landings could use some work. I guess that's what we'll work on in the next lesson, and if he's comfortable, I'll be soloing this weekend (pending my written and medical, which will be done tomorrow). My real question is this: If I am still pretty nervous about my landings (or any portion of flight), should I still trust that my instructor knows that I am ready, even though I may not feel quite that confident yet (and will only have ~11 hours)? I know I won't be scared to death and can almost certainly put the plane down safely, but I know it won't be pretty.

Lots of people solo in 12 hours, I solo'd in 11 hours as well. Some even solo in 7 hours or 20 hours...... It is dependent on the person.

If you don't feel ready, don't do it. You'll be faced with situations like that from this point on, if your not comfortable to fly, then dont. Your life is at stake.

Don't worry so much. Your instructor has seen a lot more students than you have. A little self doubt is healthy, it's far preferable to over confidence.

You BOTH have to be ready for you to solo. Get comfortable with your landings, you have plenty of time.

I've seen 6 hrs and I've seen 30 plus. Average is 12-14 but that's heavily influenced by frequency of training and other factors. If your CFI says you're ready, you're ready.

Thanks for the fast replies. I love the alternating, "Trust Yourself" - "Trust Your Instructor" replies.

As I said, I don't feel like my life would be at stake by soloing, but the first few landings will be laughed at for sure. I just wanted to know what's normal - some nervousness, complete confidence, or somewhere in-between?

I never understood the rush to solo. Who cares if you solo in 10 hours..or 40 hours..it's not a competition. Everybody learns at their own rates and I'd rather be safe with my solo..I didn't solo until I had engine outs down/emergencys in the pattern/etc down pat. sure it may of been over-protective but my CFI but I kind of agree with it. What happens if the engine dies on your first solo? What happens if you inadvertently pull the mixture instead of the throttle because of your excitement and distraction? The solo is definitely a huge milestone that I'll remember for years to come..but I think often times people rush too much to solo as a badge of honor saying "I solo'd at 3.5 hrs of time!"...The solo is like mother nature..respect it..fear it...prepare for it.

Thanks for the fast replies. I love the alternating, "Trust Yourself" - "Trust Your Instructor" replies.

As I said, I don't feel like my life would be at stake by soloing, but the first few landings will be laughed at for sure. I just wanted to know what's normal - some nervousness, complete confidence, or somewhere in-between?

If you're not a little nervous you don't understand what you're about to do!

Definitely trust your instructor! If he thinks your ready..you're ready..you gotta remember if something happens its his CFI ticket that's on the line and they'll be looking at him wondering why he let you solo. If he thinks you're ready...you'll be fine.
I talked out loud to myself every step of my solo talking through the steps to make sure I didn't miss anything. I was so proud of myself..and so excited. It's an awesome accomplishment that not many ordinary people can say they accomplished.

If you feel your ready..and your instructor does..Do it. Thing's dont need to be perfect just safe!

and be sure to share a full writeup with us!

I never understood the rush to solo. Who cares if you solo in 10 hours..or 40 hours..it's not a competition. Everybody learns at their own rates and I'd rather be safe with my solo..I didn't solo until I had engine outs down/emergencys in the pattern/etc down pat. sure it may of been over-protective but my CFI but I kind of agree with it. What happens if the engine dies on your first solo? What happens if you inadvertently pull the mixture instead of the throttle because of your excitement and distraction? The solo is definitely a huge milestone that I'll remember for years to come..but I think often times people rush too much to solo as a badge of honor saying "I solo'd at 3.5 hrs of time!"...The solo is like mother nature..respect it..fear it...prepare for it.

I had the same conversation with a student yesterday. Whether you solo at 10 or 30 doesn't matter...you still need 40 hrs to get your ticket. We don't waste any hours pre or post solo.

Ive yet to meet another instructor who "rushes" his students to solo. If you trust your instructor is a good CFI, then believe yourself what he already believes. you are ready. If you have some reservations talk to him about them before hand. I'm sure he can help answer the questions you have.

Most importantly, have fun. If you decide to sing a song from "rocky" and you decide to video the flight from inside the airplane, remember the camera has a mic. ;-)

If on your next lesson your instructor has his hands folded in his lap and is just quietly staring out the window as you land for at least 3 landings in a row then you are more than ready. If you aren't sure then ask him just ride along as if he wasn't there to help you build your confidence.

The big thing about solo is you are Pilot in Command and you are responsible for making a safe flight, if you aren't sure you can do it then you need to make a command decision an do something to get you to where you can.

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL

I soloed in 24 hours. I was my instructors first student and he wanted to make sure I was safe. He had me fly with two other instructors. One to instructor to work on my landings, and one to actually check me out the day of the solo. I was excited and, at times, wished he would just solo me already! However, I had to keep calm and in the end I had a awesome solo! Just go when you BOTH are ready. If you're worried about something let the instructor know. Best of luck!

Ive yet to meet another instructor who "rushes" his students to solo. If you trust your instructor is a good CFI, then believe yourself what he already believes. you are ready. If you have some reservations talk to him about them before hand. I'm sure he can help answer the questions you have.

Most importantly, have fun. If you decide to sing a song from "rocky" and you decide to video the flight from inside the airplane, remember the camera has a mic. ;-)

That sounds like a rather familiar case.....hmm.....wonder what kinda knucklehead would do something like that? :D

I did it in 4.5 but I was a dumb kid at the time. I knew people died but I didn't actually, personally know anyone who had. :rolleyes:

I'm at 9 hours. I don't see how others could possibly feel confident in this amount of time. Of course I have been fighting cross winds this entire time. Maybe if the winds were calm for all of that I would have a different opinion, but my approaches have had some nasty gusts and the plane suddenly loosing lift from the unstable air. I'd rather know I can land good in these conditions before I go out on my own. I have always been a quick learner, but common sense is telling me that the risk isn't worth it at this low of time. God bless you boys and girls that do it, but I am in no rush. :)

I didn't mean to make it sound like I was in a rush, but I do want to solo pretty much as soon as I am ready. If I can safely get my PPL in 35 or 40 hours instead of 50 or 60, that saves me money and time. It doesn't make me a better pilot than someone who took 50 or more (after all, the last-in-his-class med-school grad is still called "doctor".)

I think that if my CFI had gone off-syllabus and concentrated mainly on the skills that I would need for my first solo, I could have soloed two or three hours ago. I don't see the need to practice under-the-hood, turns around a point, or S-turns for an initial solo, but I appreciate the more rounded flying experience and it will probably help my training overall.

The lesson last night was very good, and I just need a few more landings to get those flares right. I bounce the plane a bit, and then want to nose-down for some reason. So I'll beat that habit out of myself and will get busy flying.

If I can safely get my PPL in 35 or 40 hours instead of 50 or 60, that saves me money and time.

I'm not aware that you can do it in 35 hours. I thought you needed at least 40 hours for PPL. Am I missing something?

Never mind me. :) I see. you are in a part 141. That's a nice benefit. I didn't know that was a benefit for them before I started. I'm going the normal route, so min. of 40 for me.

Last edited:
Keep in mind it isn't a flight from Los Angles to Hawaii. It's three takeoffs and three landings. You must have done enough serviceable landings in a row that your instructor thinks they're not flukes.

You'll probably be a bit nervous until you start getting into your routine, and then you'll just do what you've been doing.

Back