Fast Food or Fast Planes

BigOil

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
BigOil
If you read down and see the pay maybe K-State should outsource there Government Funded Training to China! Just one mile west of the airport Mickey D's pays $2.00 more/hour.!!:mad2:

Certified Flight Instructor
Department: Kansas State University Salina Aviation
Position: Certified Flight Instructor
12-month, 70% time (28 hours of work per week) term appointment ending one year from appointment start date with annual renewal contingent upon continual need.
Application Deadline: Screening of applications will begin August 15, 2011 and continue until position is filled.
Responsibilities: The successful candidate will provide ground and flight instruction for FAA private, instrument, and commercial pilot certificates.
Qualifications: Current FAA Commercial pilot certificate, current FAA flight instructor certificate with instrument ratings, and current FAA medical certificate 2nd class or higher.
Preferred Qualifications: Multi-engine instructor certificate.
Salary: $12.00 per hour

28 hour work week at $12/hr and no other crew to get a crash pad with.

$17,472/year. You're going to need both the CFI job AND that McDonald's job to make that one work. Even living in Manhattan, KS...

We have family that runs a couple of farms near Manhattan. That job looks tailored for a farm kid who managed to somehow pay their way to CFI who can live at home and drive into town. Working both at the farm and the airport.

$17,472/year. You're going to need both the CFI job AND that McDonald's job to make that one work. Even living in Manhattan, KS...

It's at the Salina campus...So you can't even look forward to blowing all that cash on beer in Aggieville.

i have a friend in the program there now. i think most of their instructors are current students there finishing their degrees in basket weaving. maybe i should apply, they have an ASK-21...

Mickey D's pays $2.00 more/hour.!!:mad2:

>snip<

Salary: $12.00 per hour

You can make $14.00 per hour working at Mickey D's? I must be way behind the times regarding my knowledge about what entry level jobs pay.

I've been to manhattan. It seemed like a nice town. The mechanic at the school was certainly good. His name is Gordon.

You can make $14.00 per hour working at Mickey D's? I must be way behind the times regarding my knowledge about what entry level jobs pay.

The challenge, Mari, is not to believe the tripe you read in press commentary about "minimum wage jobs" - there are *very* few jobs which can be filled with minimum-wage earners.

The lowest-skill jobs in the construction trades - the jobs that require a reasonably fit physique and the ability to fog a mirror - start around$12.00/hour.

The challenge, Mari, is not to believe the tripe you read in press commentary about "minimum wage jobs" - there are *very* few jobs which can be filled with minimum-wage earners.

The lowest-skill jobs in the construction trades - the jobs that require a reasonably fit physique and the ability to fog a mirror - start around$12.00/hour.
The pay at the Salina McDonald's must be well above the average of other McDonald's locations then.

20111201-fcqgg53nku7tr48r19sji2ur5e.png

http://www.payscale.com/research/US/Employer=McDonald's_Corporation/Hourly_Rate

"Median," not "Average." Important distinction.

"Median," not "Average." Important distinction.
We are talking about what McDonald's pays per hour, right? If you were a Shift Manager at the top of the pay scale you would be getting $14/hour, but not as a burger flipper.

McDonald's Hourly Pay

McDonald's pays Cashier hourly $7.5/hr, range from $5 to $10 per hour. Shift Manager hourly $10/hr, range from $8 to $14 per hour. Crew Member hourly rate is $7.6 on average, range from $6 to $9.

http://www.priceviewer.com/retail_employment/10/mcdonald_employment

Are there really CFIs out there working for less than half what I do? Does this include free room and board and tutiton?

<---<^>--->

I thought this was going to be a weight and balance discussion? If you eat fast food, you ain't gonna fit in a fast plane. :D

I thought this was going to be a weight and balance discussion? If you eat fast food, you ain't gonna fit in a fast plane. :D

Good point, how is someone supposed to keep a Class 2 medical when all they can afford is fast food?

<---<^>--->

When has fast food ever been the cheapest way to eat?

Good point, how is someone supposed to keep a Class 2 medical when all they can afford is fast food?

<---<^>--->

No, I think you misread and misquoted. The whole sentence was, "Just one mile west of the airport Mickey D's pays $2.00 more/hour.!!" I.e., McD's pays $10/hr...one mile west of McD's pays $12/hr.

Are there really CFIs out there working for less than half what I do? Does this include free room and board and tutiton?

<---<^>--->
This isn't a new phenomenon. I remember that I was making quite a bit more than the CFI I had for my instrument rating and I was just sitting in the back of an airplane operating a camera. This was in the early 1980s. It didn't really inspire me to go out and get a CFI, although I finally did a number of years later.

How does someone afford to spend ~30+k getting up to a CFI and then work for less than money than it would take to be able to invest that much? Well I guess you could get loans... or mommy and daddy? I guess $12/hr is still better than paying for the flight time yourself but still...

<---<^>--->

Thanks you all for taking notice of my posting. K-State has a great aviation program and a positive attitude in its training program. I have been a pilot for 35+years, worked really hard to get my ratings and airplanes, but I really feel the pain when I see an ad for $12 bucks/hour for someone who has invested $72k not including room & board to become a Professional Pilot. Yes, you gotta start somewhere, but come on! $12 Bucks!! When I got my ticket in the late 70’s, I could not find an employment, but I took a chance sold my car bought a 15 year old C-150 and started a parts and package running business and made some money not much, but enough to expand and make it into something that worked. Those of you that like to play with numbers can tell me what it will cost today if I tried that again: This is what it cost me in 1978- and I was 22 years old still in school and flew out of KSLN.

1. Private-Comm/inst = $3360.00
2. 1964 Cessna 150 = $5800.00
3. College 5 years = $9600.00

but I took a chance sold my car bought a 15 year old C-150 and started a parts and package running business and made some money not much, but enough to expand and make it into something that worked.

I would love to do something like that.
Don't mean to stir up the can I make money with an airplane fairy again.

Although in my current line of work I help our company find and apply for government grants. NC has a bit of a problem with farmers (esp. hog farmers) illegally dumping waste into our rivers. I'm no eco-nazi but I boat alot and I know this is a serious problem. Its crossed my mind more than once to form a company and write a grant contracting an aerial survey to look for evidence of illegal waste dumping. It would be much cheaper and quicker to send a guy in a cessna than to send out boats.

What chapter of regulations would apply to an operation like this?

And $12 an hour for a job that does not even guarantee 40 hour work weeks is sad.

Last edited:
How does someone afford to spend ~30+k getting up to a CFI and then work for less than money than it would take to be able to invest that much? Well I guess you could get loans... or mommy and daddy? I guess $12/hr is still better than paying for the flight time yourself but still...

<---<^>--->
I afford it because I paid for all my flying with cash via money from my real job. I also don't charge $12/hr, instead I charge $25, and even at that one can barely make money. I do it for the passion...

<---<^>--->

We were paid $7.25/hr until this semester where I am. Us instructors all got together and made sure something was done about the pay. It went up to $10/hr which is a start but not fantastic either.

are you at one of those degree places where you get a "guaranteed instructor job!"

I would love to do something like that.
Don't mean to stir up the can I make money with an airplane fairy again.

Although in my current line of work I help our company find and apply for government grants. NC has a bit of a problem with farmers (esp. hog farmers) illegally dumping waste into our rivers. I'm no eco-nazi but I boat alot and I know this is a serious problem. Its crossed my mind more than once to form a company and write a grant contracting an aerial survey to look for evidence of illegal waste dumping. It would be much cheaper and quicker to send a guy in a cessna than to send out boats.

What chapter of regulations would apply to an operation like this?

And $12 an hour for a job that does not even guarantee 40 hour work weeks is sad.
Regs and degree school.

When I started my lessons for a Pvt. I learned from a guy that told me that books and cleaver learning tools where not of any use if you wanted to be an old pilot, total cost for lesson in 1977 + airplane and fuel $640 and maybe saved another $20 from not buying any books at the time! To pay for all this I sold about 40 feeder pigs which even gave me enough cash left over to buy a 10 year old pick-up truck which was sold upon going to college the next year to buy a C-150. As far as the FAA Regs at that time, well you gotta do what you needed to do to feed yourself and pay the bills. Times like we live in today I would do it again.!

Last edited:
When I started my lessons for a Pvt. I learned from a guy that told me that books and cleaver learning tools where not of any use if you wanted to be an old pilot, total cost for lesson in 1977 + airplane and fuel $640 and maybe saved another $20 from not buying any books at the time! To pay for all this I sold about 40 feeder pigs which even gave me enough cash left over to buy a 10 year old pick-up truck which was sold upon going to college the next year to buy a C-150. As far as the FAA Regs at that time, well you gotta do what you needed to do to feed yourself and pay the bills. Times like we live in today I would do it again.!

No, I think you misread and misquoted. The whole sentence was, "Just one mile west of the airport Mickey D's pays $2.00 more/hour.!!" I.e., McD's pays $10/hr...one mile west of McD's pays $12/hr.
That makes (a little) more sense.

I wonder how the students who are paying premium prices for flight training would feel if they knew K-state was filling the right seats with the cheapest instructor they can find? Also I wonder if the libtards running the institution see any incongruancy between their salary, benefit, tenure and union protections and the offer they are making to the instructors on the flightline? I get $45 an hour for instruction and i think i am too cheap, but then again I am just an under educated freemarket scab. No way I would give these scumbags the time of day.

Sent from my iPad

12-month, 70% time (28 hours of work per week) term appointment ending one year from appointment start date with annual renewal contingent upon continual need.

I hope that doesn't mean you have to sign a contract.

I afford it because I paid for all my flying with cash via money from my real job. I also don't charge $12/hr, instead I charge $25, and even at that one can barely make money. I do it for the passion...

I guess we are birds of a feather than, ditto. (Well I work part-time for a school that pays me $20 and charges $55 which is fine they don't make anything on the rental. I occasionally freelance in my flying club for $35 though. Figure its halfway between here and there so everybody wins. Averages out to probably $25. My boss knows he doesn't care its not really competeing business and I was in the club first anyway. CNC Machining/IT at a tool & die company is my overtime bread and butter job.)

<---<^>--->

are you at one of those degree places where you get a "guaranteed instructor job!"

Yes. Do I treat it like the job was handed to me? No. I put in a lot of effort and strive to provide the highest quality training. A lot of other folks unfortunately don't do that. I take the position and associated responsibilities very seriously.

I wonder how the students who are paying premium prices for flight training would feel if they knew K-state was filling the right seats with the cheapest instructor they can find? Also I wonder if the libtards running the institution see any incongruancy between their salary, benefit, tenure and union protections and the offer they are making to the instructors on the flightline? I get $45 an hour for instruction and i think i am too cheap, but then again I am just an under educated freemarket scab. No way I would give these scumbags the time of day.
I figured the ad was aimed at K-state students who were going through or had just finished the aviation program and had become CFIs. Isn't this how it works in most schools? In that case the incoming students would know where the instructors are coming from and they probably aspire to be one some day.

Yes. Do I treat it like the job was handed to me? No. I put in a lot of effort and strive to provide the highest quality training. A lot of other folks unfortunately don't do that. I take the position and associated responsibilities very seriously.

Good for you man! As a teacher you have no idea the long term impact you can have.

<---<^>--->

Back